TT/S3 rear brakes on to a A3 1.8TQ question

evotista

Reaction score
Guys,

I've been given a set of rear 38mm calipers and carriers, plus brand new 256mm x 22mm discs and pads from a TT, and want to put these onto my life expired existing 239mm x 9mm TQ discs and 41mm piston calipers brakes. A few questions occur to me and i wonder if anyone (HTC , khufu, Ess etc) could give me there opinion.

Apart from dealing with the splash plates so the bigger discs fit is there anything else to watch out for? ... any issues with brake hose length for example?

Does anyone know if the 41mm pot existing calipers would work on the S3/TT carriers with the S3 discs?...i would have thought if they would, having a bigger diameter piston is in principle a better thing than the 38mm pot S3 caliper (although i appreciate that given we're talking rear brakes the effect of a 3mm pot increase is probably negligible)

Does anyone know the correct part number for the S3/TT rear OEM pads?...i have a set of pads but not too sure if they are correct...they are 1J0 698 451 H and are marked up for being for a Golf/bora/Beetle...they look right , apart from they have little bumps on the rear of the pads...not too sure if they are the right item! Can anyone with ETKA/ETOS confirm this for me?

cheers

The TT discs and calipers will fit. You won't have a problem with the brake pipes as the TQ and S3 pipes are the same.

As for the calipers themselves, I would personally fit the TT items. Audi must have dropped the piston size for 256mm discs for a reason. Perhaps 41mm and 256mm discs gives a little too much force. I can't say for sure.
the 41mm caliper might work, but you'd need to check if they can accomodate the thicker disc together with the pads.

The pads you have are for a 2033 onwards TT. Again I can't say for sure what the difference is with them as I'd need to see the to type of pad together. perhaps the bump is to secure them firmer in the caliper?

Sorry I can't be more help.

I doubt the tq caliper will fit with the tt disk as the tt disk is 2.5 times as thick, also best to match disk and caliper as it positions the brake pad in the correct position