Need bigger wheels for bigger brakes!

JJ.Foulds

Reaction score
So guy at garage has said hes pretty sure S3 brakes wont fit on my A3 on the standard base 17" alloys as theres not much room left already... SO

I have some options, iv done alot of reading and on 19's, and you can run 225/35/19 on 8.5j or less for no rub. Or i could just buy 18's for no rub thoughts at all but will these deffo fit the brakes in?

2nd thing. MERC WHEELS ON AN AUDI? yey or ney?

19'alloy Wheels Suit Audi Mercedes | eBay

I think these look pretty sweet, whats peoples thought on the merc badge? cool? not cool? or replace for audi centre caps somehow?
They do these wheels in 19" AND 18" so i do have a choice. I was planning on going coilovers also for a bit more low down. By fitting 19's does it limit my lowering capabilities alot?

so 2 questions.
1. Will all 18" alloys fit the S3 brakes inside with no problems.
2. Will i get shunned by fitting merc wheels to an audi!

Thanks, JJ.

The S3 brake set up does fit in 17'' alloys, unless they have some weird design. But I'm sure a few mm spacers would sort that out. 18' will fit no problem. Merc wheels :sadlike:

do you think i should just order some spacers and see if the brakes fit with the current wheels then? caus tbh if i dont have to buy new wheels i will be a happy man.

My s3 standard 08 wheels will be coming available soon if needed....

You should have no problem fitting them, I've seen pretty of 3.2 with standard 17'' alloys. I've changed my mind about the merc wheels, if you pick the right ones :wub:

DSC_0449-1.JPG

Reactions: MartayMcFly
I'm sure S3 brakes fit over 17"s, but whether the spokes clear the caliper is another story. Sadly it's often just a case of trial and error since wheels vary so much. 18"s will work for sure, standard wheels are 18" on an S3 - 7.5J ET56. As you said, 19x8.5 with a 225/35 works fine up to around ET44 (that's where my wheels were on the S3).

As for shunning, yeah there'll be some not happy with non-OEM wheels (I used to be one of them) but there are a lot of nice Merc wheels. I'd try to get the centres swapped for Audi badges though, and tbh I'm not a huge fan of the style you linked to. The ones Ironborn posted a re niiiiice though.

right, well tomorrow im going to take a single wheel off, place upside down on floor with bolts coming through, place the disc and caliper on through the holes and see if it fits inside. Then i can either look at new alloys or not!

And yes i like those alloys aswell, i just think merc have got the right style, i like minimal amounts of alloy, but with the spokes not too thin.

Yeah that's them, a test fit probably not required. Take some pictures when done mate.

yes they do fit, coilovers and spacer have just been ordered from DPM. and yes there will be many pictures, iv been documenting pictures since i got the car and will be making a build thread in january! :)

JJ.

Reactions: Ironborn
THEY FIT!, had the fronts done today, rears on going on friday, THEY LOOK BIG compared to my small alloys lol.

And the breaking really is soo much better!.

Il have pics for friday!