2016 S3 dynamic steering

ShoobiKenoobi

Reaction score
Strange first post from a new Audi S3 owner: when I test drove the S3 I remember feeling like the steering was a little soft in auto and maybe a little too heavy in dynamic. I remember reading similar comments on forums like this as I awaited delivery of my own S3. Now I've driven it for a month and am surprised to find that even in dynamic I find the steering to be lighter than I'd really like. Did something possibly change in the ECU config (or whatever controls this) mid model? Is it possible that something is wrong? I really don't feel anything like the change between modes that I remember from the test drive.

Reactions: Goodfella74
Light in dynamic?! Is this you ;)

2B243F9700000578-0-image-a-1_1438858088577.jpg

TX.

Reactions: TDI-line, Simon L, ACWKGYTO and 2 others
I test drove the S3 few months ago and was astounded by how light the steering was from my Golf R. Race mode all the time in the R so went straight to dynamic on the S3 and there is a clear difference. If only you could blend the 2 together for one hell of a car

Um, no ☺️ Thus the question. Seems like maybe I should have the dealer take a look at it.
I have driven S3 Saloon Golf GTD Golf R 3 x Seat Leon Cupras + Skoda Octavia VRS 230. All with progressive steering as is a must have for me, much more direct than standard.
Steering weight varied and did try different settings where available. Preferred Cupra set up overall, but plan to buy A3 sportback later in year all going well.
Perhaps you need to a back to back comparison with another S3 too.

Reactions: pburv
Um, no ☺️ Thus the question. Seems like maybe I should have the dealer take a look at it.
By any chance did you take your S3 in and if so what did the dealer say? I just bought a 2016 S3 after coming from a 2015 A3 quattro with ADS, and the dynamic steering in the S3 definitely feels a lot lighter than it was in the A3. There may be a way to make dynamic steering heavier using vag-com, but if it's known issue or your dealer found a problem, it's probably the same with mine. Note that I also had a quick go in a face-lift 2017 S3 and that was light vs the A3 but not as light as the 2016 S3.

By any chance did you take your S3 in and if so what did the dealer say? I just bought a 2016 S3 after coming from a 2015 A3 quattro with ADS, and the dynamic steering in the S3 definitely feels a lot lighter than it was in the A3. There may be a way to make dynamic steering heavier using vag-com, but if it's known issue or your dealer found a problem, it's probably the same with mine. Note that I also had a quick go in a face-lift 2017 S3 and that was light vs the A3 but not as light as the 2016 S3.
I did take it in. No known issues. They took it for a drive and said it felt normal to them. I let it go at that but if you learn anything different I'd be very interested.

I did take it in. No known issues. They took it for a drive and said it felt normal to them. I let it go at that but if you learn anything different I'd be very interested.

This post is spot on, coming from a Mk7 Golf R to the FL S3 the S3 steering is an issue, far too light in all modes, also notice the suspension is very soft, although does tighten up slightly in Dynamic.
Compared with the Golf there are huge differences which on the S3 that are not visible during initial test drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post is spot on, coming from a Mk7 Golf R to the FL S3 the S3 steering is an issue, far too light in all modes, also notice the suspension is very soft, although does tighten up slightly in Dynamic.
Compared with the Golf there are huge differences which on the S3 that are not visible during initial test drives.

See this puts me off slightly as a Fl S3 B.E is what I want next, and more than likely will be. But nothing worse than on a spirited run driving a car with light steering. The R has nailed they weightyness and turn in, but then Audi has the class and interior quality. Can't have it all I suppose

Reactions: steeve
Dynamic steering is not light.

TX.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Simon L and pburv
Is it possible that you have had it set so long in dynamic that you have just got use to it's feel?
Try a couple of weeks in comfort mode and go back to dynamic..

Reactions: Simon L
It really is in comparison to the Golf R though,maybe not others. When I test drive the S3 pre fl I couldn't believe the difference even in dynamic. So if it's gotten lighter...hmmmm.

Spot on again, the Golf R has nailed it with the steering.
After two months ownership of my first Audi (FL S3) I love the car and everything about it but it is let down with the steering and the slightly woolly suspension.

The steering is very light especially after driving my 32 year old Alfa with no power steering

The steering is very light especially after driving my 32 year old Alfa with no power steering

lol..............really worthwhile comparison that!! :scared2:

Comfort steering for me all the way, feels far more responsive :racer:

Yawn....try and play nicely Simon aka Jack

Come on mate we all say daft things from time to time..............god knows I do, but you might as well have said the dynamic steering is light compared to the tractor I used to drive!! lol

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
It seems to have improved over the last week since I got my 2016 S3. I don't know for sure but I think it learns driving habits and tightens up over time. It's not quite where the A3 dynamic steering was, but it feels like it's improving. I have my ADS set up as individual with everything on auto except steering on dynamic, and if I need to go dynamic I just throw it in sport. I thought it might be the tyres - 18" on the A3 to 19" on the S3, but I've no idea. I'm going to run admaps of the A3 and S3 parking/steering modules in vcds and compare.

ok there must be quite a difference between the two cars not just the tyre size

ok there must be quite a difference between the two cars not just the tyre size
It's a bit quicker, costs more to fuel up, and has a black optic grille ;) Mag ride could be a factor, but again that's just a guess. If it didn't have power steering the 19" would be heavier but I doubt it means anything these days. Who knows - it's not that big an issue, it's just odd. It's still better than what I had and feels like it's improving.

At least its improving, if you find anything out I'd be interested to know

Reactions: kc1174
By the way did you get anything under the VAG emissions scandal or wasnt your Diesel one of the offending cars ! ?

By the way did you get anything under the VAG emissions scandal or wasnt your Diesel one of the offending cars ! ?
Yep, my 2015 A3 TDI is one of the scandal cars. Over here they're buying them back, or a fix if they ever get round to approving one plus some hush money. Had it since Feb 2015.. Great car, but the value on them all (all VW and Audi 2.0) fell through the floor last September. If it wasn't for that, I'd have kept it. The S3 is the same colour (glacier white metallic and black interior) as the A3, so I literally have 2 almost identical cars outside right now lol

ok so you must like Audi then if youre sticking with them, plus maybe you got an offer you couldnt refuse ! ?

Petrol is the way to go for me after owning a few diesels, too much went wrong with them to balance out the purchase and maintenance costs...was blowing turbos for fun on Saabs and BMWs when I had diesels !

ok so you must like Audi then if youre sticking with them, plus maybe you got an offer you couldnt refuse ! ?
Yes to both those! The dealer decided to give me a lot off the new S3 because it's a pre facelift and they're getting a load of new A3s and S3s in now (takes a while for them to arrive over here). All I'll say is the S3 cost less than the A3 did :)

Ok so they looked after you to retain your business (they kissed ***)

So are you originally from Manchester, England then ?

If so how does the Audi experience differ between the UK and the States ?

I just tested the new steering wheel on dynamic. It is definitely noticeably lighter than the A3 S-line steering set to dynamic.

I absolutely disliked the lightness. The FL steering is also noticeably thinner as well. What is Audi thinking...

Reactions: kc1174
I just tested the new steering wheel on dynamic. It is definitely noticeably lighter than the A3 S-line steering set to dynamic.

I absolutely disliked the lightness. The FL steering is also noticeably thinner as well. What is Audi thinking...
Yeah I had a go in a 2017 TTS earlier today for a laugh and the dynamic steering was light on that too, but not as light as the FL S3. That said, it has improved in my 2016 S3 over the last couple of weeks, so maybe it somehow gets used to my driving "style" and learns. Who the hell knows :) I had no luck btw in finding any ad map differences in steering between my S3 and A3. The A3 steering is very heavy now - haven't driven it for a couple of weeks and the battery is dead.

So are you originally from Manchester, England then ?

If so how does the Audi experience differ between the UK and the States ?
Yep! Well, Macclesfield. The Audi experience between here and the U.K. is that we can't really order what we want - we get whatever Audi throw on a boat. Colours we can choose but the trim is either Premium, Premium Plus or Prestige. We can't even choose not to have shopping bag hooks. They either come with it or they don't. There's a build site on the Audi USA site, but it's of no use. I know all this from reading how the experience is in Europe on here, and having a mate back home who got his mrs an S1. I left in 2003 and my car buying experience back then was a Renault Clio and before that a vauxhall nova and an Austin mini lol

Ok so they looked after you to retain your business (they kissed ***)
You know - I don't think Audi (or VW) can actively offer incentives to TDI owners who are part of the class action settlement over here. There's something in the settlement language that stops VWGoA from officially offering incentives to people who return their TDI cars for a buyback or lease termination. That said, owners who are impacted by the Takata airbag recall get a $2,000 loyalty bonus. It doesn't though stop individual dealers from just dropping the price as happened with me. I'd have gone with Audi anyway because it was the car I wanted, but with the FL A3s and S3s arriving, they knew they'd have a hard time shifting it and had a buyer. I wasn't exactly sold on the FL anyway - looks nice up the front but the virtual cockpit seemed distracting and I prefer actual dials, and I like that I can source all my spares off eBay.