8V S3 Tuning Thread

My S3 is in garage just now with clutch/gearbox issue. Getting it taken apart on Monday.

Does anyone think it would be worthwhile getting them to upgrade the clutch to a better one?

My S3 is in garage just now with clutch/gearbox issue. Getting it taken apart on Monday.

Does anyone think it would be worthwhile getting them to upgrade the clutch to a better one?
Only if you are planning on getting it 'chipped'. If you do replace clutch with a non Audi clutch they might not give you standard Audi parts warranty?:shrug:

Well i had been planning on tuning once warranty was out (if i keep the car) but i guess if they put a new clutch in at this stage then it'll be fine for stage 1 or 2....maybe?. Lol

I have seen a graph where a TTE 450 gives 500nm at around 2900 rpm
The TTE is an excellent product and deservedly popular.

It just wasn't what I wanted or needed really as we'd already gone beyond it.
For instance how do you fancy 450+lbs at 7500rpm. Lol

Seriously though for anyone who doesn't want excess the TTE is superb.

Well i had been planning on tuning once warranty was out (if i keep the car) but i guess if they put a new clutch in at this stage then it'll be fine for stage 1 or 2....maybe?. Lol
My thoughts also..

loba has a new turbo for the 8v also

TTE 450 & Loba (no upgraded intercooler)

Tte450
Loba

Reactions: S3Alex
But to be safe I would install an upgraded intercooler. TTE is testing a new Turbo called TTE5xx.

wow ! need to win the jackpot for one of these upgrades !
over 600nm ..... no clutch issues ??
i thought that DSG was limited to 450nm and with some margin and DSG tune maxed out around 550/560 nm ?

If you look at the time. This is 10,8 s from 0-200kmh. For comparison a Mercedes SLS Black Series with 631hp needs 10,6s from 0-200 kmh.

I am waiting for the TTE turbo from David Lee's car ..... 570pk and 615 nm on stock engine !
That would be freaking fantastic ................

If i am not mistaken HGP uses TTE turbo's .............. the 426 ps upgrade on the Golf R20 was the TTE420

Just seen this from one of my local tuning companys tonight.....:racer::yahoo:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-07-21-12-07.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-07-21-12-07.png
    837 KB · Views: 222
Isnt there a uk based turbo from another company which is promising to be better than the TTE and also alot cheaper?

Over 500hp and 600nm, that is just plain crazy. I love it!

So I gather the stock engine is more than capable. Only manuals will need and uprated clutch.

So there are not many mods to the engine to obtain 450bhp+ Figures.

So I gather the stock engine is more than capable. Only manuals will need and uprated clutch.

The previous engine was good for 450lbs/600Nm reliably on stock internals.

Above that most would recommend building the engine if you want everyday reliability plus the ability to use extra torque.

This would mean most of the current hybrid turbos and the APR kit would be safe as you're unlikely to exceed that.

Remember it's torque and not bhp that will bend rods.

Nobody as yet, knows the long term (longevity) effect of this though.

Eg: the EA888 Gen3 does have thinner cylinder walls, compared to the previous generation!

So, depending on materials, structure etc., this could be a limiting factor.

Nobody as yet, knows the long term effect of this though.

Eg: the EA888 Gen3 does have thinner cylinder walls, compared to the previous generation!

So, depending on materials, structure etc., this could be a limiting factor.

Exactly.

The problem is always in not wanting to find the limits.
On the 8P a good bit had been done by people before me and myself and Stefan on another forum pushed it a bit further but with fully built engines.

The Syvecs ECU I would recommend to anyone once the TSi coding is done.
The issue anyone will face with that aside from cost is going to be torque as it can do so many things that the stock ECU can't.

Reactions: veeeight
I'm looking to get to stage 3 ish, maybe more later. I'll obviously change the usual parts to get to that but was just ondering at what point do you have to start stripping the engine.

I'm looking to get to stage 3 ish, maybe more later. I'll obviously change the usual parts to get to that but was just ondering at what point do you have to start stripping the engine.

That's the thing,isn't it.

We know from the previous 8L and 8P models where that point is,and by extension we can guess that the rods "should" be good for the same as the outgoing model,or around 450lbs.
I'm not talking about a best case scenario,but an everyday reliable figure,where the rods don't bend,and the crank plus bearings don't wear out and need changing every 10 000 miles or so.

Most of the hybrids,and GTX28 series turbos won't easily exceed that,or by much,and you can also be sure that big companies like APR will not sell you something that's going to explode half way down the road.

I think an incremental approach works well,and as you're doing that,parts are coming to the market,and people are developing the engine and finding it's capabilities.

Yeah nail on the head there.

I'm not sure who to actually go with as of yet APR or REVO. I like the fact that REVO have the SPS switch and I'm siding more towards that but it's early days yet.

The gains are great from just bolt on mods.

Yeah nail on the head there.

I'm not sure who to actually go with as of yet APR or REVO. I like the fact that REVO have the SPS switch and I'm siding more towards that but it's early days yet.

The gains are great from just bolt on mods.

The bolt on route is a very cost effective method,and anything up to a hybrid,or GTX28/similar turbo shouldn't involve too much spannering.
As with the 8P/TFSi engine,getting up to 500bhp should be relatively straightforward,assuming the correct software,but I am pretty sure that much over that is going to get expensive.

Power is relatively easy,coping with the torque produced by a bigger turbo than the ones being talked about here will be another issue.

Reactions: PanamaS3
It depends... DSG needs also uprated/upgraded clutch. If you go +500nm

no need for upgrade to about 600 nm max.
Just DSG tune creates more pressure for increased tourque capabilities
with 550nm i have no dsg slip at all

A few people in the 8P section have tried these.

It basically simply alters the shape of the throttle map,and like Marmite,some love it and some don't.
cheers @S3Alex I think once I have my DSG tuned it won't be necessary....but if anyone else has pros/cons of having in addition to ECU tune would be good to hear thoughts/comments

Keep reading about DSG tunes. Does it hurt to mix and match for example Revo stage 1 with APR DSG tune ?

Keep reading about DSG tunes. Does it hurt to mix and match for example Revo stage 1 with APR DSG tune ?
I'm no expert Rob...but I wouldn't personally and think its better to stick with the same tuning house for both otherwise you might be asking for trouble/incompatibility issues....I've got Stage 1 APR and am very happy with it and the guy who installed it....so will go APR with my DSG tune which I've heard nothing but good things about....but its your choice

Reactions: Rob2k68
I'm no expert Rob...but I wouldn't personally and think its better to stick with the same tuning house for both otherwise you might be asking for trouble/incompatibility issues....I've got Stage 1 APR and am very happy with it and the guy who installed it....so will go APR with my DSG tune which I've heard nothing but good things about....but its your choice

I think that's good advice mate.......I'll sit tight and wait for Revo to release the DSG tune as far as I know it's been in beta for some time but no public release as of yet. Would like to hear how you get on with your APR DSG tune.

cheers @S3Alex I think once I have my DSG tuned it won't be necessary....but if anyone else has pros/cons of having in addition to ECU tune would be good to hear thoughts/comments

Quite a few tuners can offer switchable throttle maps in any case.

Hold off on DSG tune on the 8v as I have issues with the Kickdown when at speed.
Other than that it's amazing, waiting for the update to get released at the moment.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Rob2k68
Hold off on DSG tune on the 8v as I have issues with the Kickdown when at speed.
Other than that it's amazing, waiting for the update to get released at the moment.

Can I ask what the problem is? My kick down is inconsistent and jerky if being driven hard in 'S'; I've spoken to my APR dealer, and they weren't aware of anyone else experiencing this problem.

Cheers