Fuel and temperature gauges, dash llights not working since engine work

pauly8888

Reaction score
Hello All.
I was wondering if anyone else here has experienced similar problems to mine. I have searched forums for about 3 days, but can't find the answers I'm looking for.

I had some engine-work done by my local/friendly/usually great garage, (oil seal...had to remove gearbox..)
Audi A3 2001 1.9TDi
Since then, my dash lights aren't working properly. Fuel says empty even though it's full. Temperature gauge is sitting at its lowest point. Speedo and Tach are ok. Warning lights are ok, I think. By dash lights I mean, the lights that light the dash when you turn on the headlights. They come on, but are at their dimmest and they won't adjust to brighter. Also, the lights that illuminate the switches, such as heated rear window aren't lit in the dark.

When I switch on the ignition, the fuel/temp gauges move half a centimeter, so I know there is power there. The big petrol pump warning symbol comes on in the centre of the dash and bleeps. After about one minute, the dash illumination lights and the odometer reading and clock start to flicker brighter/dimmmer/brighter...This goes on for about 30 seconds.
Car doesn't drive any different.

I'm thinking that the ECU/computer needs resetting. Because of the flickering of the dash after the ignition has been on for a minute. It's as though the computer is 'doing something'. The flickering doesn't happen again while driving.

I've pulled fuses and they are ok. I've pulled them/turned the key and put them back.
I've tried resetting ECU by removing battery terminals/leaving half an hour/putting them back/negative first/positive first/turning key to first position for 5 minutes/turn off/idling 5 minutes...Nothing works. I've tried 4-5 times.

When I put the key in the ignition (without turning it) the dashlights shine bright (with the headlights on). When I turn the key to position 1 the dashlights go dim and the fuel empty beeper sounds. If there were bad Earths somewhere, the dashlights wouldn't go bright at all.

Any ideas, anyone?