Carbon Fibre Front Splitter - honest opinions please

TDI_TIM

Top Gear
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Found a website that does a variety of made to order Carbon Fibre front splitters; Audi A3 8P Aero Parts / Tuning Performance Auto Parts Online Shop - Audi A3 8P Online Shop - Auto-Style USA - Japan Car Parts JDM Parts (then click on the make "Cobalt" third column, 6th one down) Mainly searching this as I was thinking of getting the Leon Cupra R splitter and painting in gloss black or getting it skinned in carbon when I noticed that website.

So I thought i'd have a quick photoshop mock up of my car before and after;

Carbon Splitter before and after

Honest opinions please.

Although nice/different...

You seen the cost of shipping?

+Customs charges and VAT.

I really like it, makes the front end look mean and purposeful.

Very like the splitter I had fitted to the front of my Scooby and also my previous Focus ST.

Look great until you hit a kerb, large speedbump ect, it will happen and laqured carbon fibre is so brittle it just cracks/smashes. Much better off with an ABS plastic splitter, at least they flex a bit.

If a Cupra one fits then go for that, I'm sire they're made of a flexible ABS type plastic.

As above buying carbon then painting it for where it would be is pointless get the cheaper seat version.

As above buying carbon then painting it for where it would be is pointless get the cheaper seat version.

He never said he was going to paint a carbon splitter, he said he may paint or carbon skin a Seat one :)

IMO the worst thing you can do to an A3 is fit a cupra splitter!

The A3 already has flared ends and the lines of the cupra spliiter do not match up with any on the A3 - the new laguna!!

Yeah I like the look of it - there are a few other ones that look better. The S3 one on the site lines up with the curves better than the above one. But again its the cost of a carbon splitter and like Muzza80 said if I hit a kerb then game over really!

I know a company called TripleR Composites - who do a lot of Ford splitters, spoilers, diffuser fins etc.. they have recently started doing Seat cars too as I introduced him to the SeatCupra.net forum so might have a word with him about some splitters for the A3. Their facebook page is; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Triple-R-Composites/247344178667911 Take a look, some nice stuff on there.

Not to my taste but if you installed air too you could drop your car down and plough snow with it! ;)

That's some good Photoshop work though, I thought it was a before and after until I read the post.

I had a cupra splitter on the 2006 Sline bumper and it suited it very well... but for that bumper you have on yours i think it looks pants. the facelift already has a nice lip on the bottom and even better on the S3 bumper

Not to my taste but if you installed air too you could drop your car down and plough snow with it! ;)

That's some good Photoshop work though, I thought it was a before and after until I read the post.

Well I am sick with photoshop :) haha! I do like the front bumper I have with the flared edges, maybe if I lowered the car it would look better? Just I had the LCR splitter on my LCR and it looked really good, and I am a fan of aggressive fronts on cars. I like the lips that Triple R design - might make a photoshop mock up of that too and see.

OK what about this gloss black one - its the triple R composites one that they designed for the MK2 Leon. Its not an available product though but still.... (oh and I changed the grey bit to gloss black too)

Triple R splitter before and after