Audi a3 what's this part?

ticketyboo90

Reaction score
Image Hi, I am just wondering what this part is on my 1.6 a3 engine code bfq. This isn't the pic of my engine but it's the same one. What is that silver part at the back with the silver pipe coming off it that the air intake connects to from the maf? I took that silver pipe off with the two Allen key bolts and it looked all chocked up inside! Just wondering if I'm able to clean it out? Will I need vag com to reset it after doing so? Thanks

The big silver part should be the throttle body IMO. Don't have any ideas about the metal pipe running from it. But you should definitely clean the throttle body every once in a while. Will make the engine run much smoother. If you want to give it a proper clean take the full throttle body off and get it properly clean. Secondary solution would be just trying to clean the valve inside it without taking it off...it will be a bit of a hassle and won't get it done proper but it will save you from unscrewing a couple more bolts and etc. I gather a throttle body adaption will be needed (atleast when you take the body off for cleaning, don't know about the secondary option but do it and you cant go wrong). Atleast on some cars it is done automatically after you put everything together again and turn the ignition on until the high pitched tone coming from the throttle body stops. The other way to do it is through VCDS/Vag-Com.