Bose speaker replacement?

MarcA3Turbo

Reaction score
Hey,
just got a 2001 A3 Turbo with Bose, but have two problems, both in the left door. The speaker cover is missing from the small speaker (sorry, don't know the proper name!) by the door handle, any ideas where I can get a replacement, how much it would cost?
Secondly,the larger speaker further down and more forward in the door makes a hissing, muffled noise, so I think its blown. Again, any idea of where to get a replacement, rough price? Is it difficult to replace?
Thanks for any advice in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sounds like either the speakers them selves the tweeter (the little one that makes the hig end noises) and the mid (the one in the bottom of the door that does the rest of the stuff apart from the low down bass) should be replaceable by audi. or keep your eyes open on ebay for some. as for replacement, its as easy as being able to use a scredriver to take the doorcard off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You can get a replacement grill for the tweeter from local dealer for about £5, they'll have to order it in. As easytease says you'll need to take the door card off to get to replace both the grill and the speaker.
Does the tweeter itself actually work? If you put your ear to it you should be able to hear the hi frequencies like cymbals & hi-hat etc.
You do need to replace the bose speakers with bose speakers as they are low impedance units running off the bose amp in the boot, there are usually some on ebay, but it might be worthwhile having a look beforehand as a blown speaker will usually still work, just sound pretty distorted. You could connect a spare 4ohm speaker to the wiring temporarily just to make sure the amp and wiring is OK, or if the tweeter is working OK it runs off the same wiring & amp. If they are both duff then it could be wiring or the amp that is faulty.

Hi guys,

appreciate the info. The tweeter seems to be working fine, so am I to take it that means the amp is still ok too because its running off the same wiring? The mid is crackly and distorted alright, but only some of the time. Does this mean its not blown at all if its an intermittent fault? Keeping my eye on ebay anyway, fingers crossed something shows up. Thanks for your help with this

If it's OK some of the time then it's unlikely to be blown (unless it only distorts at louder volumes). It could just be a loose connection to the speaker behind the door card.
The tweeter runs off the same amp/wiring so if it sounds ok then the amp must be alright.

Thanks Andy,

I'll check the wiring out and see if thats the problem, hopefully it is. Otherwise I suppose ebay beckons...