B5 1.8t Quattro Sport Tuning and Upgrades... Advice Please

Richy M

B5 1.8t Quattro Sport
Reaction score
[h=2]Hi[/h]

I've just this month bought a 2000 A4 1.8 TQS. The car itself seems in very good condition inside and out but driving there is a few issues bothering me and i'm needing advice on.

My main issue is and i noticed it the night i picked it up was a very high bite point on the clutch pedal along with a slight judder when pulling away. The guy i bought it from was an audi mechanic so i contacted him the next day and he said the clutch had been changed so he didn't think it would be that but the release bearing hadn't been replaced so it could possibly be that. After a couple of more weeks i noticed the clutch would slip in 3rd, 4th and 5th when the car was cold, then sort itself out. Now its a total hit and miss, sometimes it will slip, 2 secs later its fine. I've read threads about the rear main seal leaking but i don't know. Anyway... my thoughts with this is to get a new clutch anyway, for the hassle to open it all up to find out whats going on, i don't want to do it twice. I plan to tune the car so I have been trying to find a good single mass flywheel conversion that's good for around 300bhp. Any advice on where, what or how to do it would be much appreciated.

Secondly brings me to tuning. Whats the deal with the AJL engine? It seems there is few threads on this engine and being a pain in the a*se to tune. The car came with a full resonated milltek exhaust system incl cat (turbo back) which after checking up on it seems to the proper deal so that's taken care of. I've heard the standard airbox is good for upto 300bhp so i'm not to worried about that side of things either. It's the turbo... It's seems to be the bottle neck in the picture. Another thread said you can use the the turbo from an S15 Nissan 200sx as an upgrade? Is this true and if so, do I need a new exhaust manifold to do it?

Any advice on the clutch, re-mapping or turbo would be much appreciated folks

Thanks​

Hi mate
I have exact same problem with my clutch.
Some days its fine-ish. But most days i cant boost or put my foot down unless im above 4k revs
Fyi mines been like this almost 18 months

As for a smf kit.
Easy setup is
a solid flywheel from a audi with a abk engine. (£30)
Friction plate part number vag part number 06E 141 031 ax (£35)
Clutch cover from a vw lt van saches part number 3082 919 001 (£90) i got this direct from all german car parts
Then get the flywheel machined/drilled to make the clutch cover fit (im quoted £80)

Then you need shorter flywheel bolts
Release bearing
Rear crank seal
And gearbox fluids while your there
Plus engine oil

Ajl engine is a pain to tune but can be done.
Least you don't have abs module trouble. There rare to find s/h and expensive new!!!

If the guy was an audi mechanic and replaced the clutch without the release bearing then hes a complete tool !!!

the bite is naturally high on these cars, when i put mine in after a few launches it went to the top !! Shudder may be gearbox/engine/diff mounts.

best clutch for costs is the 1Z flywheel and S2 240mm upgrade have a search theres a couple of threads and pics !!

turbo is based on your goal a hybrid of beachbuggy or frankenturbo will see roughly 280hp with c20let/saab red injectors and vr6 maf housing, 3bar fpr and fmic best of getting an ecu from a golf/a3 1.8t agu with correct pin layout so you can map through obd port !!

or you could go gt28 which will do 300hp + !!

other than that welcome and you will find some good advice from the other members !!!

now put some pics up off the TQS lol

Richy M, I'm in almost the same spot!
Wife bought an 2k AJL quattro some months back.
After getting done for £500 notes for some garage work she's keen for some diy-from me!.
Lots of little niggles, stat, oil cooler weep, inj's poss weaping, rear brakes etc,etc bla but what an amazing car to boot round the bends!

I have an issue with the clutch-hi biting point, which ties in with the airbag light/ seat adjustment methinks...

loads of continual stuff with these cars, good job they are

1. a great place to be sitting in
2. when they are on song, they ARE on song.

nice exhaust BTW, something else swimbo's not aware of yet, LOL!

all the best

Mo.

Thanks for the quick replies guys :)

I think the clutch was changed just prior to the last guy getting it but being a mechanic he would have known when selling it there was something up with it. I've also thought about all the engine/transmission mounts and would like to replace them, poly bushes would be nice if they are available and not to expensive??? Any idea how many mounts there are in total?

Both clutch options you's have mentioned? Are they upto the job of 300bhp+? Is there any good off the shelf packages that I can just go buy?

Everything you mentioned bradderz is kind of along the lines of what i'm thinking with regards to tuning. The ecu change is new to me though. I've read about an me7 conversion but your idea sounds a lot easier. Is it easy enough to do?

The gt28 sounds like the way to go for me, that along with the milltek system should be nice. Is it a straight replacement or do i need to change anything else like the downpipe?

I'll get the pics on asap bradderz lol

Last edited:
ME7 comes with a lot more advantages when mapping like launch control and flat shift, unicorn do it for £300 w/AGU, £250 w/ME7 and £350 w/ME7 FS/LC, i may look at at one point but for now AGU is my plan, all i have is the VR6 MAF and the F21 Chra replacement but going to run it with stock ecu and n75 unplugged and push the wastegate to 12psi hopefully see 230hp, then if i get the ecu nailed on i think it will need rods no doubt lol !

GT28 will need custom oil lines etc, manifold, custom downpipe and TIP.