Tell me about..... airbag modules

Mr K

Reaction score
Best start a new thread for this rather than high jack the other. Mines playing up in my late 99 TQS avant. fairly sure it's the modules, the light takes a while I go out when its cold, which from what I've read is the module.

Are they model specific, i.e. Tied to certain specs or engines? Or will any old one from a FL a4 do the job?

Do they need coding when changed?

Anyone got one for sale?

There are different types, depending on if you have curtain airbags etc, best bet is to whip out your ashtray and get the number off yours and then see what's about. If you get the same no coding should be required.

Or just wizz vagcom on and read the part number from the controller :) !!!

if you get same part number then they might have same coding but just jot it down before you whip it off !!

Reactions: PAULF
Wished i seen this post earlier, scrapped 2 facelifted a4 b5 and left the controllers in ! One had curtains airbags, the other was just 2 dash+ 2 seats...

I dont have VAGCOM unfortunately. I read somewhere that I need to get a 'soft code' off it before I swap it?

I cant find any good guides on getting the ash tray out to gain access. anyone?

Got it: AudiWorld Tech Articles

looks like if I slide somthing down between the climate control and the side of the centre console the climate will pull out, and then I can hopefully see the module, or get toe the ashtray bolts.
Hopefully this is the same for the single din on mine.

PM sent
have one from my 99 TQS Avant

I think you pull the trim around the radio and climate towards you, go gentle there a little delicate, then you open the ashtray and you should see 2x 10 mm bolts at the top corners, then the ashtray should slide out, there is also an illumination cable for the ashtray that you need to disconnect.

then you should just about see the module between two black ducts. Should be an orange and white sticker.

It is a bit tight so if you need to pull the climate out to see it has four metal retainers on each corner, but doesn't have removal keys like a stereo! I'm sure on my single din I just gave it a healthy pull from both ends and it came out, it's a bit easier with single din as you have something to grab hold of when the facia is removed.

Excelent - thanks. Does the Headunit need to come out first? EDIT; read it again, sounds like head unit needs to come out, then the trim, then climate. I may be able to see down in with a mirror or camera with just the headunit out. Im only trying to get the part number off it at the moment.

JCB - PM back at ya.

Mines a 8D0 959 655 J

Waiting to hear back from JCB as to the part number on his. In the mean time, anyone else got one? Ethereal are lots of others for sale but the only 'J's are refurb'd ones for £200. I assume I can't use a 8D0 959 655 or similar in its place, and it has to be the J version.

I believe for the facelift there should only be a j or an f type,
i have an f in mine as it's got curtain bags, I sorted bradderz with a j for his tqs, I'm pretty sure he didn't have to do any soft coding, and was just plug and play,
That was saloon to saloon, I don't know if there may be weight calcs defined by the soft code that differ saloon to avant or vice versa

Thanks to JCB I have one on the way. Will postpone the MOT until saturday or Monday (when it actually expires) which will give me a chance to fit it. Awesome.

The only difference saloon to avant AFAIK is the centre belt pretensioner.

If you fit an avant part to a saloon you'll get a fault code about the missing middle belt tensioner unless you change the softcode to say you dont have a middle rear belt!

I believe for the facelift there should only be a j or an f type,
i have an f in mine as it's got curtain bags, I sorted bradderz with a j for his tqs, I'm pretty sure he didn't have to do any soft coding, and was just plug and play,
That was saloon to saloon, I don't know if there may be weight calcs defined by the soft code that differ saloon to avant or vice versa

correct plug and play as the soft codings were identical, used vagcom to double check though :) !!!

The only difference saloon to avant AFAIK is the centre belt pretensioner.

If you fit an avant part to a saloon you'll get a fault code about the missing middle belt tensioner unless you change the softcode to say you dont have a middle rear belt!

That makes sense! Jcb had an avant so if you have a saloon it will need coding, check the vagcom map if you don't have it and hopefully someone local can help you out, unless you do have an avant then no drama.

Edit: you do have an avant so all good!

yup! Sounds like I'll be all good!

its still going for its MOT tomo, but they are aware that it misbehaives until warm. Retest on Saturday morning if if fails, with the new module fitted. what a faf!

fingers crossed it will be OK anyway.

Take it for a good Italian tune up before you go to make sure it's all nice and hot and cleared out for the emissions test.

I don't have vag com, so I'm preying its plug and play!

i have a cheap eBay USB cable, but never got it to talk to the free version of vag com.

Defo getting a good Italian tuneup beforehand!

Whats your issue with vagcom ??

If you have cable id get that sorted then you can do this task and also diagnose other faults in the future :) !!!

yeh its usually just a com port issue

Drop me a PM and i can talk you thru getting the ebay lead working.

Well its passed OK. Advisory on the discs, but I knew that - planning a 312mm upgrade, just need to find the carriers.

I spent ages playing around with my ebay lead with no luck when I had my first A4 a few years ago,and gave up.

Aragorn, thanks you for the offer, thats very kind. I'll send you a PM.