Strange loss of power???

I

imported_alecblack

Guys,

I took the car out last night along a country road and gave it some welly. The car acted strange, i put the foot down hard and noticed there was a loss of power at 4000rpm I looked down at the rev limiter and about 2 seconds later it kicked in again.
This happend a couple of times then i decided not to do it anymore incase i broke something.

Any ideas?

I am in the process of buying a new MAF as ive heard that many stories about the affect a bad one can have i have just decided to replace it as my car has done 78k and could probably do with one. I dont normally drive my car hard but when i dont expect it to disapoint like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hi mate,

The symptoms you describe sounds very much like what I have been experiencing on-and-off for over 2 years with my S3.

Also others on here have experienced similar problems.

My advice would be to do a search of this A3/S3 forum. You'll come across lots of thread about this, and after a while you will be up-to-speed on what I and others have tried to solve this problem.

Have I, or anyone solved this yet? The jury's still out.

AL

cheers AL

Yeah there seems to be a history of loss of power issues around the A3/S3 with a 101 explanations.

Mine produced similar symptoms and it turned out to be a slipping clutch.

Does the rev counter jump up quickly from 2500 to 4000, then stay still (during the apparent power loss) and then start climbing again?

That sounds bang on what you say. is there a test I can do to check if the clutch is gone/going?

[ QUOTE ]
That sounds bang on what you say. is there a test I can do to check if the clutch is gone/going?

[/ QUOTE ]

In mine, the problem was mostly noticeable in 3rd gear upwards.

I don't think there is a scientific test other than stripping the car down - which is expensive - you just have to "know" what a slipping clutch feels like.

A good test to see if it's the clutch is to accelerate hard up a steep hill, in my case in 3rd gear. This made the problem much more noticeable.

My problem was also intermittent for a couple of months before becoming a problem all the time.

There is a thread about my problem here. Warning - it's rather long so make a cup of tea first.

If it is the clutch, it could let you down completely at some stage. But there can be other explanations for power loss with these cars, as a search on the forums will confirm. Good luck!

as well as the clutch, check all the pipes are connected onto the EGR valve (at the back by the bulkhead/in the middle) and also check your MAF - disconnect the MAF and go for a drive - IF it is the MAF then you won't have the problem with it unplugged.

Good luck!

VAGMAN, have you got a picture of the location of the EGR Valve. Is there another term for it?

None of the manuals I have mention it, perhaps its called something else.

AL

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve... Its sometimes called emissions regulator or something like that i think. If you look down between the turbo inlet pipe and the engine, you will be a silvery looking this with a couple of pipes sonnected to it...Thats the EGR!

Rich

ahhhh, thanks Rich.

This is something I haven't looked at before, as its not mentioned (or perhaps has a different name) in the Motronic manual.

AL