I want to lower my a3!

john71482

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am looking at lowering my car a touch!
I don't want it on the floor I just want to get rid if some arch space!
What do people think?

Do it!

EVERY car looks better when its lowered, even on standard wheels. You just have to decide whether you want springs or coilovers and budget. I'd recommend coilovers over springs every time.

Agree with leeds on this, even lowered on standard wheels with spacers makes a huge difference to the look of a car

Reactions: dannyjna
Yes I'm planning to keep my standard wheels on for now!
why would you choose coilovers over strings any reason?
if I was to buy coilovers would there be any more work needed other than fitting them?
Don't have great knowledge about them only ever fitted them to a lupo gti! And the wheel sat at an angle and I needed 4 new tyre in two weeks! lol

I'd choose coilovers or springs as there's so many people who have bought springs, got them fitted and then have been unhappy with the ride height not being low enough/too low etc.

With coilovers, all you have to do is jack up, take wheel off, wind up or down a couple of times, stick wheel back on and you're at the exact height you want to be.

Easiest and cheapest way would be to just let some air out the tyres..... :salute:

Reactions: sliced and leeds2592
Personal 2945

Mine on Coilovers! Do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!

Well to be quite honest if you know your next car would be Audi A3 or at least in the same category, you better try the coilovers as you could always use it for your next car, also you have that flexibility to adjust the height if it was too high or low...

I would personally recommend coilovers over any springs as you could always adjust, also keeps its value far better then springs :)
Also with springs, you need to change your shocks, well you could sort of use them for time being but later down the line you need to spend another 400 to 500 on just the shocks and that means you need to pay again to get them fitted, so literally ending up paying twice for labour whereas with coilovers you pay once and saves you all the hassle!

Now up to you mate,

Putting h&r springs on my a3 tomorrow. I'll report back with a thread :) can't wait

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 765
I did coil overs on my last car and probably won't again! Had a set of jom's on my Astra and had a snapped helper spring after 4 months, all the coating cracked off the springs and became rusted (looked like they'd been on there for years), then when coming to adjust after a while they just wouldn't budge and ended up snapping the tool! Maybe I just had a duff set! Lol

I did coil overs on my last car and probably won't again! Had a set of jom's on my Astra and had a snapped helper spring after 4 months, all the coating cracked off the springs and became rusted (looked like they'd been on there for years), then when coming to adjust after a while they just wouldn't budge and ended up snapping the tool! Maybe I just had a duff set! Lol

No, you just bought cheap absolute rubbish. Do you think car makers spend £200 on suspension? i doubt it, so why would you put cheap rubbish on it and expect it to be amazing

Does coilovers impact how regularly you need your geometry setting up / does it get knocked out?

No, you just bought cheap absolute rubbish. Do you think car makers spend £200 on suspension? i doubt it, so why would you put cheap rubbish on it and expect it to be amazing

i know now this, my Astra was 15 years old so I was not willing to pay anymore, just stating that the jom's aren't as good as people make out (I seen someone recommending them on here somewhere! Lol) wouldn't entertain putting any like that on my audi!

I had Eibach lowering springs on my S3 8L and lowered the car perfectly without messing with the ride quality.
All depends how much you want to spend. Personally I'd go springs if you're just wanting it lowered.

I've got h&r springs on my 3.2 sportback and it dropped brilliant with a nice ride quality. Makes me want 19s to fill the arch's more now though

Save your money, get the right stuff the first time. Don't waste time on cheap suspension

Im thinking of going with some quality HR or eibach springs (50mm). I dont see myself adjusting the ride height very often with coilovers. And with 1.6 fsi, whats the point of buying quality coilovers for £1500 ?

I dont what to go stupidly low i just want to get rid of the arch space! how much lower would you say to go...

Does anyone have a quick guide or notes to changed in the springs (mainly on how to remove of dampers)?

I recommend air ride but all depends on your budget

This is mine on the h&r 35mm drop for the quattro. Think you can get lower ones for non quattro

Attachments

• 20131212_115834.jpg
    20131212_115834.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 690
Do you just buy the springs and fit them anything else you have to buy?

This is mine on the h&r 35mm drop for the quattro. Think you can get lower ones for non quattro

Sorry cant see the picture,i am interested as i have a tdi quattro sport A3 2002 but i am not sure what to buy i have 18'' alloy wheels

My car on 50mm h&r springs really happy with how it's sitting now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 960
Reactions: Tom Stammers
That looks perfect to me mate, how's the ride?
Thanks dude it turned out how I wanted so don't listen to everyone saying get coilovers because it's all dependant upon what YOU are wanting. If u want a nice drop with no issues with speed bumps etc and don't want to mess about adjusting the height every so often then I recommend them highly. Ride isn't much harsher than s line at all

Here is mine with H&R -35mm springs and Sachs shocks.First pic with 18" summer wheels. and Second with the 17" winter wheels.
DSC_0015%255B1%255D.jpg
RIMG0106.JPG

Last edited:
Its gonna sound like ive registered here to make this post, trust me i havent! I actaully have an EPC fault and came to this forum as it seems to be alot busier than the other forum i was using (no disrespect)......I actually have 35mm Bilstein lowering springs which i got for my a3.. They are brand new and have never been used (one does have a very small paint chip on it) and if anyone wants them, they can have them for £65 or closest offer plus courier (you may have to arrange) or pick up from Blackpool. If this post is against the rules, I apologise but if interested, please PM me..........................Cant use return key for new parargraph? here is link..................Classifieds: 35mm Bilstein lowering springs

Last edited: