Test drive of 2.0TDI-150 Golf

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I spent the yesterday driving around in a 2.0TDI-150 Golf GT DSG to compare with the A3. I must admit I did notice slightly less power than my current A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-170, partcularaly when coming out of corners in the lanes. I have therefore asked my dealer if I can have an A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-184 quattro s-tronic that he has a a demonstrator for the day. It will be very interesting to see the difference both with the extra power and the quattro handling.

One odd thing I did find with the Golf. I normally drive with my hands at the 9-3 position on the steering wheel and I had to move my hands down a little to click the gear-change paddles. On my current A3 I can change gear buy just extending my middle-finger. I assume the new A3 has the paddles in the same place as my existing one, but we will see when I drive the 184.

The handling of the Golf GT was very good but both myself and my wife did find the ride a little harder than we would like. The Adaptive Cruise Control was interesting and very easy to use in the Golf as all the controls are on the steering wheel. Mind you it does make for a lot of buttons on the wheel.

I will let you know what I think of the 184 after my test drive.

Reactions: TDI-line
quattro is the way to go!!

I've never actually driven anything with quattro so it will be a new experience. If I did go for the 2.0TDI-184 it would be £2457 more than a normal 150 Sport, so not that much more.

Hi Dave, i've driven the same Mk7 golf as your test car, and the differences in handling to performance will be very notable with the 185. The quattro when pushed will give so much more grip and be more sure footed. The 185 when needed can give really good acceleration, up to the speed limit of course.I had also driven the Mk7 GTD 185 DSG, this was good, but to me the choice was the A3 185Q.As for the paddles, not really used them, i just have the Drive select set on the * on the steering wheel.

If I did go for the 2.0TDI-184 it would be £2457 more than a normal 150 Sport, so not that much more.
Definitely a first world problem when £2.5k isn't "much more" :D

I ended up ordering a 184 Quattro stronic. Although the day we had it on for test drive was dull, the roads weren't slippery. Even then you could tell the quattro was making the car very sure footed when you pushed it a bit. I currently drive a 2WD Skoda Superb with the 170PS engine (i.e. the same as was in the 8P 170). Whilst that car isn't setup in any way sporty, it's reasonably nippy (8.5 to 62). Having said that, it is a heavier car but I can easily spin the front wheels if I'm a little eager and the road is damp. I think at these power levels (150PS and above) getting the power onto the road safely is a major challenge that 4WD really helps with and isn't simply a marketing gimmick.

Its torque that is more likely to cause the problem not power. I think also that most diesel are actually torque limited in the lower gears otherwise they'd quickly break something in the transmission, such as the dmf..

I've ordered the 184 Q for that v reason - getting the power down. We live in a very rural part of Wales, with lots of 'rural' stuff (and water...) on the roads. At least then all that power/torque can be used and enjoyed safely....

I had a remapped diesel that had 394Nm, it didn't really cause me too much of an issue as TC and ESP took care of it, as it should in the Golf as well, but 4 wheel drive would have made pulling away much more rapid. Sure was a fun car to drive though especially in the snow...

Ive had quattro cars before and I did test drive a DSG 184 S line. But bought a 184 manual, obviously with front wheel drive. I can notice the reduction in weight from the 4wd and it seems (to me) better balanced on the road, I dont suffer from wheelspin. For me the 2 wheel drive is the best choice. As I'm retired if the weather is bad I dont need to drive. CO2 is lower as is overall weight and the fuel consumption is improved.

The engine is delightful, in the demo car it whisled up to over 130 quite easily with plenty more available (on a private test track) . The rate of acceleration in the gears is quite stunning. I'm sure you'll be delighted. The increase in performance further up the rev range does come at a small price and that's the loss of a small amount of low down torque. Seems it can be tuned to 230bhp should you wish!

If I was buying FWD it wouldn't be Audi.

Ive had quattro cars before and I did test drive a DSG 184 S line. But bought a 184 manual, obviously with front wheel drive. I can notice the reduction in weight from the 4wd and it seems (to me) better balanced on the road, I dont suffer from wheelspin. For me the 2 wheel drive is the best choice. As I'm retired if the weather is bad I dont need to drive. CO2 is lower as is overall weight and the fuel consumption is improved.

The engine is delightful, in the demo car it whisled up to over 130 quite easily with plenty more available (on a private test track) . The rate of acceleration in the gears is quite stunning. I'm sure you'll be delighted. The increase in performance further up the rev range does come at a small price and that's the loss of a small amount of low down torque. Seems it can be tuned to 230bhp should you wish!

My first require for any replacement car is DSG/s-tronic. Having had s-tronic on my last four A3s it's some I would not want to drive without. So if I want the 184 and s-tronic it would have to be the quattro version.

Like you I am also retired so if there is bad weather I can stay in-doors and just look at it, but if I do decide to go for the 184 then it will have to be the quattro version as that is the only one that Audi offer with s-tronic. I will know more after I have one for the day on Thursday.

I wouldn't buy fwd front wheel drive with anything over about 130bhp !

I wouldn't buy fwd front wheel drive with anything over about 130bhp !

I have 170bhp front-wheel drive at the moment and don't find any problems. Not sure what difference the extra 14bhp would make if any, but the idea of a quattro appeals. If I want an A3, diesel, with similar power and s-tronic the 184bhp quattro is the only option Audi offer. Other than that it would have to be the 150bhp. Having driven the 150bhp Golf the other day I think I would prefer to go up in power rather than down.

Audi make good cars... Quattro turns them into great cars . Fancy our 2011 Quattro Tdi 170 SB Black edition . Loaded and for sale on Audi used car website :

Audi make good cars... Quattro turns them into great cars . Fancy our 2011 Quattro Tdi 170 SB Black edition . Loaded and for sale on Audi used car website :

I don't think so. I want a newer car rather than an older one and I want one with all my 'loads of options'

Couple of years newer than your silver machine h but no PP on it. Best options are IMHO the pan roof the tech pack decent music and no Tories allowed inside ;-) cheers Sue

Couple of years newer than your silver machine h but no PP on it. Best options are IMHO the pan roof the tech pack decent music and no Tories allowed inside ;-) cheers Sue

But my current 170 A3 is a March 2012. It was my previous one that was a 2009!! It seems I need to change some data somewhere.

Not into technology then h ? ;-)

I assume you mean something like using a PC. If so then I am now retired but for the last 25 years of my working life I supported PC and a 50 user network. I still do a some volunteer work using my computer and Excel mostly for the RSPB as well as providing 'computer buddy' sessions at my local library. I also have a use a Nexus 7 but don't have or want a smartphone.

So am I into technology.... I probably spend more time in front of my computer than almost anything else!! :) As my computer is in my office in an upstairs bedroom my wife often refers to me as "The man in the flat upstairs"

I noticed that my Garage on the forum still has my 2009 A3. I will have to update it with some photos of my current one, alternatively I could just change the year as they look much the same - same colour, same wheels. In fact all eight of my A3s have been Silver.

I thought the extra 105kg might be noticeable. It does add 8% to the weight of the car.

I know many people prefer the handeling of GTI to the GTD. The petrol engine is lighter and the car should feel nimbler.

I do have problems with torque steer on my GTD. Have to be careful planting my foot on wet roundabouts. Though my new tyres have made a big difference. I imagine there would be no issue doing roundabouts in a Quattro.

Last edited:
My present, remapped, Focus has about 200ps, I really do not notice any difference in the grip and I like to feel I'm pretty good at driving the thing very very fast when I want to and with the map on it was a very rapid car. As I said the fixation with power causing a lack of drivability is a myth as it down to torque and with most cars these days, as I've said before, the TC and ESP tend to take care of that.
I took the remap off before I delivered the car over to Eastbourne, the salesperson was aware by the way, and it still felt nice to drive although the remap gave the engine a wonderful sound which I did notice had gone..