no fuel at injectors, help!!!

mingilator

Reaction score
Hi All

This is my fist post on this forum and I hope someone can help me out

I have a 1999 a4b5 avant with the 110bhp afn engine, Its always been a great engine, starting first turn of the key and after changing the timing belt it was exactly the same, I had a small oil leak which I traced to the crank shaft oil seal flange on the front of the engine where a bolt had sheared off, after removing the timing belt etc and drilling out/tapping the bolt and fitting a new bolt, I put everything back together and everything was fine, It started first time and I let the engine run to make sure no oil was leaking and it was all good, later I even came back to the car and again it started first time, spurred on by this I thought hmm, I never actually clocked the injector pump for optimum injector timing, so I whipped out the lap top started up vagcom and with the engine up to temp I checked the injector timing which was in spec but slightly retarded so I slackened off the 3 nuts holding the injector pump and with the engine running clocked the pump towards the block whilst checking vagcom (the pump was very very stubborn to clock, ended up using a large pry bar to clock it) anyway I got the pump clocked to bring the timing slightly advanced (which I believe is optimal) and all was well, the engine would still start no problem, until the next day, the battery was flat and the car refused to start, even after charging the battery for a whole day the engine would crank but not fire, I have tested the glow plugs and there is voltage to them but when I cracked off the injectors there is no diesel coming out the lines, there is plenty diesel in the tank and although the filter is a little old, I can suck diesel from the tank to the injector pump with no difficulty, however it would seem that the injector pump is not sucking (put my thumb over the hole where the diesel enters the pump and I cant feel any suction, I really don't know enough about these pumps, do they have a lifter pump? from what I have read they do not and I believe it would be fuse 28 if it did and I don't have a fuse 28 any advice would be much appreciated

Regards,
Markl

Mark, there's a 13mm hex head bolt under the pump, you need to slacken that before turning the pump, if the vcds shows timin in spec then you must have disturbed fuel lines- the AFN does not have any lift pump, the pump does the lifting...

Hi

the engine was running fine after I had finished adjusting the timing (infact the engine was running whilst I was adjusting timing), It was fine the night before it started playing funny buggers like I say it was the next morning the battery was dead and it refused to start, is there a specific fuse or relay that controls the injector pump, there was a lot of water sitting in the plenum under the battery and im wondering if its maybe ran into the car and shorted some wiring or a relay

regards,
Mark

I had a couple of VE engines with worn pumps that could not keep advance after the timing belt being fitted, solution was to replace the pump. Was the engine getting excessively noisy after you time the pump to be in the graph ? You sure you used the right settings for the AFN engine ? I would say put it back to where it was and see if it fires up, if it does not then check fuel lines, you put them under stress and they can crack and lose prime.

the engine was running great after the re time, no excess noise, there's no sign of any fuel leaks, I checked in vagcom that I was using the setting for afn engine, the pump just isn't sucking any fuel, I think I found what is the fuel cut solenoid on top of the pump near the fuel lines, I got someone to turn the ignition on whilst checking voltage and I was only getting 0.05v and then the voltage disappeared is the fuel cut solenoid meant to have a constant voltage to it? and then kills the fuel when there is no voltage?

disconnected the wire to the fuel cut solenoid and ran a line straight from the battery and still no joy, does anyone know if there is a relay that feeds power to the injector pump and the fuel cut solenoid, also Im assuming the re should be +12v fed to the ip, which wire is this in the loom for the ip

discovered that the ecu box wasn't properly fastened to the bulk head, definite evidence of water dripping into cabin (I believe this would have been the case of the at control unit failure when I bought the car) getting +12v on the fuel cut solenoid when I switch the ignition on, then it switches of again, again I don't know if it is meant to have a constant +12v when running then kills the power to stop the engine or vica versa, any help appreciated