8V VCDS Mods

I think there's a legal minimum surface area for the reflector - wonder if the S/B F/L lamp satisfies that ?
Reading around it would seem that size does not matter, only positioning approval markings:
  • Must have two reflectors
  • Positioned no more than 400mm, and no less than 350mm from the sides of car
  • Positioned no more than 900mm from the ground
  • Need to have Type "I" or "IA" approval markings on them
Interesting note is that if the reflector is obstructed by anything on the car, such as the bottled opening, then an alternative method of warning is also required, such as a reflective warning triangle on the underside of the boot lid...

Reactions: Rob2k68
@DJAlix

Might get a set to test on my car and I can give feedback. Do you have part numbers for fl sportback lamps with reflectors? Is the below correct? Confused between 5C0 & 5C1 options on ETKA.

8V4 945 091 A

8V4 945 092 A

8V4 945 093 E

8V4 945 094 E

Could have. To be honest its something I never looked to test in versions previous to what was current at the time of post #1547, as for the most part those who have the feature from Factory wish they had never wasted their money on it.

If I'm understanding a post on the ross-tech forum correctly (3rd from bottom on page 5), the adaption will show up in the list only if the EPB module has the correct firmware.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...(ABS-module)-Anyone-figure-this-out-yet/page5

So I guess the only way is to somehow update or replace the module :-(

Not read the post by how does that explain the channel showing up within ODIS / VCP and not VCDS?

Hmm, good point!

Maybe the VCP et al show all channels regardless of whether they are supported by the module? Does the adaption show up in VCDS for cars that already have Auto Hold as standard?

Hmm, good point!

Maybe the VCP et al show all channels regardless of whether they are supported by the module? Does the adaption show up in VCDS for cars that already have Auto Hold as standard?
VCDS does this to a point also with oil level display, virtual pedal, heads-up display and some of the light sensor channels being examples off the top of my head, listed but not supported by any 8V car.

I believe the problem with VCDS is within its own coding / quality as the past few updates have been buggy and some channels and coding that used to work stopped as a byproduct of not having an A3 test vehicle, which is understandable I guess.

Until recently VCDS did not detect the rear door modules of our cars, they had to be added manually to the Gateway Installation List before they could be coded, something Ross-Tech overlooked.

Reactions: aurian and Rob2k68
@DJAlix

Might get a set to test on my car and I can give feedback. Do you have part numbers for fl sportback lamps with reflectors? Is the below correct? Confused between 5C0 & 5C1 options on ETKA.

8V4 945 091 A

8V4 945 092 A

8V4 945 093 E

8V4 945 094 E
pm'd :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2016-09-07 at 16.07.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2016-09-07 at 16.07.23.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 540
  • WhatsApp Image 2016-09-07 at 16.09.26.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2016-09-07 at 16.09.26.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 462
  • WhatsApp Image 2016-09-08 at 10.43.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2016-09-08 at 10.43.09.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 448
  • WhatsApp Image 2016-09-08 at 10.43.40.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2016-09-08 at 10.43.40.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 462
Reactions: C39KER, Schizophonic, MKC and 4 others
thanks Alex for help to retrofit VC

Wow you've got it working are those pics from your car ?

Is it fully functioning as if it were OEM ?

Did you need the F/L steering wheel to control it ?

yes this is photo from my work !

just i need to install and MFSW to have all fuction, because on my MFSW missing 2 buttons ,

Reactions: Rob2k68, SW14NY'S and DJAlix
yes this is photo from my work !

just i need to install and MFSW to have all fuction, because on my MFSW missing 2 buttons ,

What was involved in the retrofit? How did you get over component protection and the immobiliser etc?

What was involved in the retrofit? How did you get over component protection and the immobiliser etc?
CP and IMMO was completed via a Dealership Workshop. Other than that it was hardware installation, adaptation and coding.

Just need to find the Milage / Computer Reset Button now lol... :(

That's impressive.

- -

Have anyone here with Audi Drive Select used VCDS / VAGCOM to change options on their ADS menu?

If so could you post your steps.

That's impressive.

- -

Have anyone here with Audi Drive Select used VCDS / VAGCOM to change options on their ADS menu?

If so could you post your steps.
ADS can't be activated or changed (nothing useful anyway) via VCDS.

Reactions: gamegenie
Oh well, it was just a thought. I'm fine with my default ADS options.

So I fired up my OBDeleven tool again and took another glance at the A5 module and under Adaptation, I saw listed the following with the save option to activate:

Function_module_Main_Beam_Assist
Function_module_Road_Sign_Recognition

But trying to save anything from this module pops up a login wanting a password.

OBDeleven pro provided me a password for the 09 module, but on the A5 module it's left me high and dry.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the A5 security login through googling, still get error when Long coding the A5 module though.

Perhaps Audi became wise and locked down the American 8Vs.

Last edited:
Oh well, it was just a thought. I'm fine with my default ADS options.

So I fired up my OBDeleven tool again and took another glance at the A5 module and under Adaptation, I saw listed the following with the save option to activate:

Function_module_Main_Beam_Assist
Function_module_Road_Sign_Recognition

But trying to save anything from this module pops up a login wanting a password.

OBDeleven pro provided me a password for the 09 module, but on the A5 module it's left me high and dry.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the A5 security login through googling, still get error when Long coding the A5 module though.

Perhaps Audi became wise and locked down the American 8Vs.
What Security Access Code did you find... 20103?

Is there a VCD mod that will allow me to adjust my rear LED turn signals so that they blink similar to the Euro LED rear turn signals.

Look at how my car's rear turn signal currently blinks.

See that huge cluster light on the far corner blinking, that's not how the Euro lights are blinking.

Is there a VCD mod that will allow me to adjust my rear LED turn signals so that they blink similar to the Euro LED rear turn signals.

Look at how my car's rear turn signal currently blinks.

See that huge cluster light on the far corner blinking, that's not how the Euro lights are blinking.

I have the coding for the Euro turn signals to code from US to European - but you'll need the Euro taillights themselves to make it work or they'll flash like hazard warning lights when you brake. It's been a while since I've been on here as mine is a 2015 TDI, and it's being bought back. I need to find the rear part numbers but I got them from eBay for about $300 from some salvage place in Belgium. I can pm the coding as Dj Alix helped me with this last year, but again you'll need the Euro taillights themselves. In my situation it's just something else I'll need to remove when I hand it back, but I'm planning on throwing them on a heavily discounted 2016 S3 I've had my eye on. If I don't get the S3 or another A3, I might be willing to sell them on, but either way I can provide the before and after coding if you pm me. One note on the Euro vs US taillights is the connectors are different on both the outside and trunk lid lights, so it'll involve some wiring too.

Edit: Forgot to mention - we don't get the thin rear turn signals because our laws are based on what was around in the '60s and there's a minimum size requirement, which is why the brake light also flashes. Same reason we have those cheap looking amber markers on the front. That said, mine passed inspection in NC because I guess they didn't know what they were looking at :) Had my dealer ask me how I did it too because a potential A3 customer asked him when they saw me pull in for a service why the one they were about to buy didn't have them. Same with the front fog lights ours don't have that I retrofit :) (I have a thread up on here about that too).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160913-024207.png
    Screenshot_20160913-024207.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Reactions: gamegenie
Thanks for the info. I thought it was something that could just be done with coding. Rats! Audi USA sure put a lot of road blocks in separating our 8Vs from the rest of the world.

does anyone know the valet coding for a 2016 Q3 windshield wiper?
the purpose is to use the mmi screen and have a selection to have the wiper move up so that I can properly clean the front wind shield. once done I uncheck mark the box on the mmi.

does anyone know the valet coding for a 2016 Q3 windshield wiper?
the purpose is to use the mmi screen and have a selection to have the wiper move up so that I can properly clean the front wind shield. once done I uncheck mark the box on the mmi.
TBH honest I am not sure but does the Q3 09 - Central Electronics Module Adaptation Screen have a Channel Selection drop down box like the 8V, or does it have a channel number box? If Channel number box with Read and Test buttons then I am not sure and you would need to reference all the channels in order to see whats labelled. If it's dropdown then you could look for something along the lines of the same 8V channel:

Windshield wiper-Menuesteuerung Frontwischer

@DJAlix, I was revisiting the mmi interior lighting and have hooked up normal LEDs to pin 8 of the door modules. When I run an output test on OBD11, the lights turn on, but then I try and increase or decrease via the mmi and the lights refuse to turn on.

Would you happen to know if anything else needs to be changed/enabled to allow me to control the output via mmi. I basically have enabled every ambient lighting option in vcd, which gave me a few more options on screen but still no light control.

Thank you as always!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

@DJAlix, I was revisiting the mmi interior lighting and have hooked up normal LEDs to pin 8 of the door modules. When I run an output test on OBD11, the lights turn on, but then I try and increase or decrease via the mmi and the lights refuse to turn on.

Would you happen to know if anything else needs to be changed/enabled to allow me to control the output via mmi. I basically have enabled every ambient lighting option in vcd, which gave me a few more options on screen but still no light control.

Thank you as always!

Don't really have the time at the moment to look deeper in to this but thought to post up what I have to hand in order to try and help out :)
  • Door Closed but not locked and Ignition on but Engine Off
  • Security Access Code if needed: 31347

Interior Lighting MMI Menu
  • 5F - Information Electr
  • Adaptations
  • (15)-Vehicle function list BAP-interieur_light_0x08 = Activated
  • (6)-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination = activated
  • (7)-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_clamp_15_off = not activated
  • (8)-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_over_threshold_high = activated
  • (9)-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_standstill = not activated
  • (10)-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_after_disclaimer = not activated
  • Reset MMI
Structure: Vehicle Settings > Background Lighting > All Zones | Front | Door | Footwell

Footwell Lights
Coding
  • 09 Cent Elect
  • Long Coding
  • Byte 5
  • Bit 7 = Active (Footwell Lights Installed)
Adaptations
  • 09 Cent Elect
  • Adaptations
  • (6)-Ambient lighting-Innenlichtinszenierung = Installed (ambient lighting - interior lighting)
  • (1)-Ambient lighting-Defaultwert Ambienteprofil Fussraum = 100% (default value setting profile footwell)
  • (3)-Ambient lighting-Defaultwert Ambienteprofil Vorn = 100% (default value setting profile front)
  • (1)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lasttyp 30 = 46 - LED Kleinleistung
  • (2)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lampendefektbitposition 30 = 0
  • (3)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 30 = 2
  • (4)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion A 30 = Footwell Light
  • (6)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Dimmwert AB 30 = 100
  • (7)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtansteuerung HD AB 30 = Always
Door Handle Lights
Coding
  • 42 - Door Elect Driver
  • Long Coding
  • Byte 1
  • Bit 3 = Active (Interior Door Handle Illumination Installed
  • 52 - Door Elect Pass
  • Long Coding
  • Byte 1
  • BB - Door Rear Drv Side
  • Long Coding
  • Byte 1
  • BC - Door Rear Pass
  • Long Coding
  • Byte 1
Adaptations
  • 09 - Cent Elect
  • Adaptations
  • (4)-Ambient lighting-Tuerinnengriffbeleuchtung mit I-Tafel = Installed (door Interior handle light with dashboard)
  • (5)-Ambient lighting-Tuerinnengriff mit Tuertafel = Installed (door Interior handle door panel )
In addition to the above there is an additional adaptation channel available for configuration but I am not sure as to what function it performs:
  • (2)-Ambient lighting-Defaultwert Ambienteprofil Tuer = XX% (default value setting profile door)

All of the above was used with success in order to retrofit Footwell and Door Lights to an A3 8V Sport with no factory lighting pack.

Be interested to know how you get on...

Edit:

Found these also:

(1)-Ambient lighting-Defaultwert Ambienteprofil Fussraum = 50%
ambient lighting default value setting profile footwell

(2)-Ambient lighting-Defaultwert Ambienteprofil Tuer = 50%
ambient lighting default value setting profile door

(3)-Ambient lighting-Defaultwert Ambienteprofil Vorn = 50%
ambient lighting default value setting profile front

(4)-Ambient lighting-Tuerinnengriffbeleuchtung mit I-Tafel = not enabled
ambient lighting door Interior handle light with dashboard

(5)-Ambient lighting-Tuerinnengriff mit Tuertafel = not enabled
ambient lighting door Interior handle door panel

(6)-Ambient lighting-Innenlichtinszenierung = not enabled
ambient lighting interior lighting = not enabled

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 21.21.17.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 21.21.17.png
    803.5 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Reactions: rcnacura
Thank you for the info, have most of that enabled, but looks that since the 8V doesn't have ambient door lighting other than the door handle and speaker grille. Weird I can get the pin, which is the ambient lighting pin to work on an output test, but can't control it.

I believe the door handle is pin 3, but isn't being controlled via mmi, instead its done via the headlight lighting dimmer switch.

So did some more playing around but not much luck of controlling via mmi. Changed the pin from the 32 plug to the 3 pin of the 20 plug, to use the speaker trim as this is suppose to be able to be controlled via mmi too.

Is there any other secrets for the speaker grille lighting? Or can anyone send me with b&o their adaptation info?

Thanks as always!

@rcnacura Door ambient lighting is an option for FL 8V, and could have been an option for some unknown region as well for PFL?? Since you got output from T32b /8 already, perhaps, instead of hooking up a regular LED, have you try repin maybe the door handle's lighting to it and test? Since I think the OE lightings are all SMDs? maybe the output variations when dimmed are insufficient to run a regular LED? Did you test T20c /3 with regular LED as well? Could be the reason? Just a thought...

TBH honest I am not sure but does the Q3 09 - Central Electronics Module Adaptation Screen have a Channel Selection drop down box like the 8V, or does it have a channel number box? If Channel number box with Read and Test buttons then I am not sure and you would need to reference all the channels in order to see whats labelled. If it's dropdown then you could look for something along the lines of the same 8V channel:

Windshield wiper-Menuesteuerung Frontwischer
thanks ill give that a try this weekend.

Reactions: DJAlix
@rcnacura Door ambient lighting is an option for FL 8V, and could have been an option for some unknown region as well for PFL?? Since you got output from T32b /8 already, perhaps, instead of hooking up a regular LED, have you try repin maybe the door handle's lighting to it and test? Since I think the OE lightings are all SMDs? maybe the output variations when dimmed are insufficient to run a regular LED? Did you test T20c /3 with regular LED as well? Could be the reason? Just a thought...
So, getting closer. Now that the wire is in pin 3 of the 20 pin connector, when the lights are on and I open any of the doors, the aftermarket LEDs turn. This pin seems to act like a puddle light, similar to that of the VW GTI or a lighted door handle. Still no ability to control via mmi tho.

Output lighting test turned the light on as well, just like pin 8 and 3 of T32.

Will take a normal Audi light and hook up to pin 3, 8 of T32 and 3 of T20 like you suggested. Was thinking maybe some circuit needs to be added if it works.

I can't activate the visual parking mod on my FL A3.
The controller has a slightly different name to the one shown in this thread, and none of the bytes have labels. I tried activating the one stated (byte2 bit0, I think it was), but nothing happens. Are the controllers different in the new A3's?
Has anyone in a facelift been able to activate the visual parking?

I can't activate the visual parking mod on my FL A3.
The controller has a slightly different name to the one shown in this thread, and none of the bytes have labels. I tried activating the one stated (byte2 bit0, I think it was), but nothing happens. Are the controllers different in the new A3's?
Has anyone in a facelift been able to activate the visual parking?
Replied within this thread:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/mmi-splash-screen-not-showing.291573/

I noticed that you are located in Hertfordshire. I don't suppose you would be up for a meet and letting me scan your car so we can see whats possible would you? More than happy to drive over to you :)

Working on this lighting mod like you rcnacura, think i've got it cracked with your help and DJAlix.

I'm able to adjust the ambient door lighting via MMI! Haven't done the wiring yet, but the software side looks good =)

IMG 6497 IMG 6499

Using OBDeleven and the ambient light live view changes with the MMI door setting. Note that with the door open, it changes to 100% (probably what you've found out). It drops down to 0% with the door closed and headlight switch in 'O' position. Need to change to auto and then the MMI will follow the output.

Will let you know how it goes once my wiring is complete. Puddle, warning, door handle and door pocket lights ready to go =)

Awesome work @OzA3! Did you just setup the ambient lighting like normal and then go into live data to test? Did you also hook up to the pin 8 of the 32 connector? I have it now on pin3 on the 20 connector but still no ability to control.

Any additional info, thank you!

So, having just bought a 2014 S3 sportback, I'm wondering if it's possible to alter the central locking behavior - Currently through the MMI there is a choice of 1 click opens all doors, or 1 click opens drivers door with 2 clicks opening all doors. Is it possible to set it so that one click opens only the front doors? Had a quick look, but can't find anything around this....

(already activated rear parking sensor visual with VCDS)....

Ok, got this working! Passenger door done, drivers side to go.

Pin 5 is ground. Tapped into the brown wire at the power window switch.
Pin 16 is puddle/warning lights
Pin 8 is for ambient light

It's a nice neat job if you're able to get some factory parts.

Instructions below:

IMG 6503 IMG 6507
Cut out the required holes for the puddle and door pocket lights

IMG 6509
Test fit warning, door pocket and puddle lights

IMG 6510
Remove blue housing around the electrical connector to access the required positions

IMG 6511
Old connector from a wrecked VAG car, very common. Note that the housing has already been removed. Use a pick tool to remove the pins.

IMG 6512
Re-pin into the door harness in position 8 and 16 (numbered on plug)
IMG 6514
Also added a white LED with dropping resistor to the door handle

IMG 6515
Harness complete. Warning and puddle lights to pin 16, other side to ground (brown at window switch)

IMG 6517
Door pocket and door handle LED to pin 8, other side to ground

IMG 6518
Plug complete, tape up and reinsert back into blue connector housing.

IMG 6521 IMG 6522
All done.

When the doors are open, puddle/warning lights will be on. Door handle and pocket light switches to 100% brightness.
All turn off when doors are closed.
With the ignition on and headlight switch in auto, the door handle/pocket light will change with the MMI setting (door).

After enabling the MMI menu with the instructions above (and coding door modules), you should be able to see the ambient light live data in OBD11 change with MMI lighting control.

Reactions: MKC, Rob2k68, DJAlix and 1 other person