8V VCDS Mods

Hi guys,

I'm driving an 1.4tfsi...recently turned on the needle sweep via vcds....

However, sometimes the needle does not sweep when turning on the engine...it is intermittent...

Anyone encounter this before ?
Similar behaviour to what I experience, haven't taken the time to see if there is a pattern to it.

Hi guys,

I'm driving an 1.4tfsi...recently turned on the needle sweep via vcds....

However, sometimes the needle does not sweep when turning on the engine...it is intermittent...

Anyone encounter this before ?
The needles only stage / sweep when the ignition accessory position (1st position) is engaged and not on engine start.

The needles only stage / sweep when the ignition accessory position (1st position) is engaged and not on engine start.

Ya I tried 1st position without engine start...still the same...

It works on both. My parents SE worked fine

hello i find the code for auto hold....i have try a 40168 but not try....

What do you mean by Auto Hold? Which function exactly?

Anyone know why it won't let me access rear door modules, so I can activate rear puddle lights?

Other things I've seen that can be done:
- Enable dipping passenger mirror for reverse on the standard mirrors
- Enable parking sensor screen display for rear sensors only option
- Seatbelt warnings
- ACC Menu (have this done myself, by the dealer)
- Seat heating - how long the timeout should be before auto-switching from setting 3 to 2 (10 mins default I think)
- DRLs - make tail lights permanent or not (rear DRLs)
- Change how many flashes the 'lane change' function on the indicators use
- Needle sweep on startup

Can all these be activated on standard A3? Heard in a few places that they're only possible with S3/RS3 models..?

• Enable dipping passenger mirror for reverse on the standard mirrors = Yes, if you have electric mirrors.
  • Enable parking sensor screen display for rear sensors only option = Yes, if you have the sensors.
  • Seatbelt warnings = Yes
  • ACC Menu (have this done myself, by the dealer) = Yes, if you have ACC.
  • Seat heating - how long the timeout should be before auto-switching from setting 3 to 2 (10 mins default I think) = Yes.
  • DRLs - make tail lights permanent or not (rear DRLs) = Yes
  • Change how many flashes the 'lane change' function on the indicators use = Yes
  • Needle sweep on startup = Yes
As long as you have the related modules / options then yes, on any car.

Reactions: Max-Robbo
Hiya - is anyone else having issues with long coding helper with the current non-beta version of VCDS? Channel 09 long coding helper has nothing anymore.. :/
No issues here. Just been over in the support section of the RT forum and no issues have been reported so far.

Reactions: kc1174
No issues here. Just been over in the support section of the RT forum and no issues have been reported so far.
Cheers! I was just in there again and somehow it's working okay now.. Weird.. I hadn't long since reconnected the negative to the battery when I last did it, so maybe that was it. Fortunately my blind byte/bit coding worked though :) Hope you're well!

Reactions: DJAlix
Time to see what else can be broken via software!

Just plugged in for the first time and the interface is very different, to the point of where it's a little confusing :(

Attachments

• IMG_4474.JPG
    IMG_4474.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 816
Reactions: Rob2k68 and Martinbanshee
Time to see what else can be broken via software!

Just plugged in for the first time and the interface is very different, to the point of where it's a little confusing :(

Ah interesting - can I ask where you bought it from ?

That will do VIM - done mine with a simple plug in module.

Ah interesting - can I ask where you bought it from ?

That will do VIM - done mine with a simple plug in module.

I thought about ordering direct but once in the checkout process there were additional costs for using anything other than a bank transfer (£25 extra if I wanted to use PayPal!!!!!) and the cost kept going up and up, so I ended up getting it from Enigmatool here in the UK.

I plugged in today, just to make sure there are no physical issues, and it's the same but very very different if that makes sense... so much so that it gave me a headache just trying to do an AutoScan. The interface seems very unintuitive and clunky, and the "Germanlish" translations are a little confusing and not consistent throughout the interface. Gonna take some time to work this one out I think as there seems to be almost no documentation. The interface is skinable though :)

VIM - Although VIM seems to be a now added extra according to information on the VCP website (a €50 expansion pack for post late 2014 purchases) I was able to download all the needed .zdc parameter files via the VCP file / download manager with no issues. I did look at this today and although I have more or less worked out what needs to be done process wise I need to do a little further reading / research before going any further as I have read conflicting information stating that it only works on TechPack MMI units, that and I have never even tried to play a video at all since collecting the car.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 22.59.27.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 22.59.27.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 904
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 22.55.56.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 22.55.56.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,045
Reactions: acr2001, Martinbanshee and Rob2k68
I wonder if it is possible to obtain info through VCP that allows us to do anything new with VCDS? Like determining security codes!
I'm still dying to get the security code for enabling Auto Hold in the ABS module!

I thought about ordering direct but once in the checkout process there were additional costs for using anything other than a bank transfer (£25 extra if I wanted to use PayPal!!!!!) and the cost kept going up and up, so I ended up getting it from Enigmatool here in the UK.

I plugged in today, just to make sure there are no physical issues, and it's the same but very very different if that makes sense... so much so that it gave me a headache just trying to do an AutoScan. The interface seems very unintuitive and clunky, and the "Germanlish" translations are a little confusing and not consistent throughout the interface. Gonna take some time to work this one out I think as there seems to be almost no documentation. The interface is skinable though :)

VIM - Although VIM seems to be a now added extra according to information on the VCP website (a €50 expansion pack for post late 2014 purchases) I was able to download all the needed .zdc parameter files via the VCP file / download manager with no issues. I did look at this today and although I have more or less worked out what needs to be done process wise I need to do a little further reading / research before going any further as I have read conflicting information stating that it only works on TechPack MMI units, that and I have never even tried to play a video at all since collecting the car.

the VIM on S3 2015 8V tech pack works fine with the VCP.

this is how you do it.

With the later versions of VCP you need to use the Activator application (with the smart card dongle plugged in) to download the files.
Start Activator, Connect, then Filemanagement.
Then from the Filemanagement window, click Get All Files.
Then once the list is populated, enter vim in the text box to search.
Then select A3_MQB_VIM.zdc and A3_MQB_VIM_DEF.zdc, and then Download Selected (by default they will download to C:\VCP\).
Now to upload them to the car...
Start VCP, select Guided Functions, Moduly = Other to reduce the list, select Upload data from ZDC-container, hit Next twice, Open ZDC file, Upload selected data.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Other than the VIM, is there any other interesting tweaks which we can do with VCP but not VCDS?
Has anyone tried enabling the Green Menu with VCP?

the VIM on S3 2015 8V tech pack works fine with the VCP.

this is how you do it.

With the later versions of VCP you need to use the Activator application (with the smart card dongle plugged in) to download the files.
Start Activator, Connect, then Filemanagement.
Then from the Filemanagement window, click Get All Files.
Then once the list is populated, enter vim in the text box to search.
Then select A3_MQB_VIM.zdc and A3_MQB_VIM_DEF.zdc, and then Download Selected (by default they will download to C:\VCP\).
Now to upload them to the car...
Start VCP, select Guided Functions, Moduly = Other to reduce the list, select Upload data from ZDC-container, hit Next twice, Open ZDC file, Upload selected data.

For those who are interested...

As there is no real documentation for VCP, confirmed via VCP support, finding my way around this program is a little slow for the advanced functions. Will not go in to it too much but normal scanning, adaptation and coding operations are more or less the same VCDS but VCP will not be my go to tool for these operations, unless I am missing something, as VCP requires more "mouse clicks" in order to achieve the same result as VCDS.

There are two parts to the VCP tool:

Activator - A licensing, file manager, update manager and forum registration ID tool.
Van Can Professional - The program itself.

VIM is managed and performed via what seems to be macro / script files which VCP calls .zdc files, launched via the tools Guided Functions option. Newer versions of VCP reference these files as "Parameter Data", something which has never been detailed within any change logs lol. These files can no longer be created by users which is a shame as creating macro / script files for jobs would have been an amazing time saver. So the staff at VCP create these files and drop them in to your file manager for you to download, at which stage they are coded to your USB dongle smart card ID so they cannot be shared :(

From the default selection of .zdc files which are available, although they have descriptions, they are not very informative. The VIM files referenced above will work for MMI TechPack and there is also a file, SMALL_MMI, for the non TeckPack unit but what they don't state is that these files are for non DAB MMI units. Access to updated files needs the purchase of a €50 expansion, something which I am trying to work out how to do without completing a Bank Transfer and the need for a £25 additional charge for wanting to use PayPal.

A question for gbernard...

On Thursday I tried to upload the A3_MQB_Small_MMI_WIM.zdc to my car and believe it did not work as I have a DAB MMI Unit. As you seem to have some experience with VCP do you believe this to be the case? VCDS shows the following in a scan:

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8V0 035 874 B HW: 8V0 035 874 B
Component: MU-S-ND-ER 040 0420
Serial number: A7F01809130964
Coding: 01730101FF00000021111101000A00002F0205460100010006
Shop #: WSC 04698 001 104857
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd6C3PASE 002010
ROD: EV_MUStd6C3PASE_AU37.rod
VCID: 3B72BBC1B230EBE648-806F

Engine Control Module 2:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8V0 919 866 B HW: -----------
Component: ECE 2014 --- 0036
Serial number: --------------------

Seat Adjustment Driver Side:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8V0 919 603 C HW: 8V0 919 603 C
Component: DU Std H48 0013
Serial number: AUZ8Z9DY3000NS

Sound System:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 8V0 919 614 B HW: 8V0 919 614 B
Component: ControlUnit_B H33 0037
Serial number: C1000027071300020767

1 Fault Found:
1586 - invalid data record
B2005 00 [008] - -
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 54
Mileage: 11034 km
Date: 2015.10.29
Time: 15:53:21

Other than the VIM, is there any other interesting tweaks which we can do with VCP but not VCDS?
Has anyone tried enabling the Green Menu with VCP?
I believe there is but need time in order to go through my loooooooong list of mods which worked and did not work with VCDS. I tried to activate Developer Mode on 5F (Green Menu) on Thursday but VCP returned the same Out of Range error as VCDS. VCP support are investigating. Green Menu activation success seems mixed from reading the VCP forums.

VCP does have a very interesting feature which I plan to test A LOT. The tool has a Security Access code finder!

"Some functions of ECU are unavailable until unlock by “login code”. Some of them are common and well- known, some not available to public. The LoginFinder can find all login codes for connected ECU ;-)"

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Rob2k68
@DJAlix Sounds quite complicated but thanks for the insight I have thought about VCP but the lack of support is disappointing.

@DJAlix Sounds quite complicated but thanks for the insight I have thought about VCP but the lack of support is disappointing.

I think the perceived lack of support is due to language differences to be honest, it seems the developers are polish and the product is marketed as German. I have had cause to email support twice so far and both emails were answered within 24 hours which is good in my book as RossTech has taken a lot longer to reply. The english support forums suck but the German and Russian ones have loads of information within them if you can stomach all the cut and pasting / google translating in order to understand them lol

The main problem is that the product has been released to the public with little to no documentation, not even a useful FAQ page, and you have no way of knowing this until you have made your purchase as forum access needs the authentication of the supplied USB dongle lol

You need to understand the basic principles of what tools like this do, while substituting the different terminology in order to be able to find your way around. It does seem very complicated at this stage but it is a very different tool and thus operates differently to the tried and tested VCDS, kinda like trying to use Apple Pages after coming from Microsoft Word or Avid ProTools after Apple Logic, they each have their own way of getting stuffs done. All that aside the biggest pain in the bum with VCP is the workflow... Way to many mouse clicks and screen changes! Would I advise against investing in VCP... not at all, but if all you are doing is tweaking your car and you have no plans to "work" within the automotive industry grab VCDS.

Am just getting over the flu and have not really been able to have any good sessions in front of my lappy for the past few days due to headaches, but my plan has always been to use VCP and to reverse engineer stuffs to aid in VCDS works. I have been very quite in this thread recently as I have been trying to work out how to complete a number of mods which a good number of you guys are looking for plus others that I have not seen referenced anywhere on the net, Drive Select (am soooooo close on this one), Green Menu and MMI Oil LevelDisplay to name a few. Hopefully I will have a lot to share very soon :)

Reactions: Martinbanshee, acr2001 and Rob2k68
Hi gents, no expert here, I have VCDS and VCP, I only used VCP for the stored function for VIM, and it worked for me.

My instructions I posted here where a cut/paste google translate from a Swedish forum.

Sorry can't help more.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and DJAlix
For those in doubt of the VCP tech support, they also work on Sundays :)

It would seem that things like Green Menu etc need more than just straight coding / adaptation hence why they don't work from VCDS, and also require the use of .zdc files. Should have this bottomed out and reverse engineered in the next few days I hope.

As the clocks changed a few days ago here in the UK I thought I would throw up a reminder, the following coding for Automatic Daylight Savings Time has now been tested as working:
  1. 5F - Information Elect.
  2. Adaptatopm - 10
  3. Channel = Summertime automatic
  4. Enter New Value

Possible Values:
  • None
  • Manual
  • Europe (Automatic)
  • USA
  • Automatic (Does not work - Request out of Range error)
*Audi UK Default = Manual

Reactions: acr2001, Rob2k68 and Martinbanshee
Cool, looking forward to your next release :)

For those in doubt of the VCP tech support, they also work on Sundays :)

It would seem that things like Green Menu etc need more than just straight coding / adaptation hence why they don't work from VCDS, and also require the use of .zdc files. Should have this bottomed out and reverse engineered in the next few days I hope.

As the clocks changed a few days ago here in the UK I thought I would throw up a reminder, the following coding for Automatic Daylight Savings Time has now been tested as working:
  1. 5F - Information Elect.
  2. Adaptatopm - 10
  3. Channel = Summertime automatic
  4. Enter New Value

Possible Values:
  • None
  • Manual
  • Europe (Automatic)
  • USA
  • Automatic (Does not work - Request out of Range error)
*Audi UK Default = Manual

Just so I have this clear if you select Europe it'll do it automatically? If "yes" doesit tie it into BST/ GMT dates for clock changes?

For those who are interested...

As there is no real documentation for VCP, confirmed via VCP support, finding my way around this program is a little slow for the advanced functions. Will not go in to it too much but normal scanning, adaptation and coding operations are more or less the same VCDS but VCP will not be my go to tool for these operations, unless I am missing something, as VCP requires more "mouse clicks" in order to achieve the same result as VCDS.

There are two parts to the VCP tool:

Activator - A licensing, file manager, update manager and forum registration ID tool.
Van Can Professional - The program itself.

VIM is managed and performed via what seems to be macro / script files which VCP calls .zdc files, launched via the tools Guided Functions option. Newer versions of VCP reference these files as "Parameter Data", something which has never been detailed within any change logs lol. These files can no longer be created by users which is a shame as creating macro / script files for jobs would have been an amazing time saver. So the staff at VCP create these files and drop them in to your file manager for you to download, at which stage they are coded to your USB dongle smart card ID so they cannot be shared :(

From the default selection of .zdc files which are available, although they have descriptions, they are not very informative. The VIM files referenced above will work for MMI TechPack and there is also a file, SMALL_MMI, for the non TeckPack unit but what they don't state is that these files are for non DAB MMI units. Access to updated files needs the purchase of a €50 expansion, something which I am trying to work out how to do without completing a Bank Transfer and the need for a £25 additional charge for wanting to use PayPal.

A question for gbernard...

On Thursday I tried to upload the A3_MQB_Small_MMI_WIM.zdc to my car and believe it did not work as I have a DAB MMI Unit. As you seem to have some experience with VCP do you believe this to be the case? VCDS shows the following in a scan:

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8V0 035 874 B HW: 8V0 035 874 B
Component: MU-S-ND-ER 040 0420
Serial number: A7F01809130964
Coding: 01730101FF00000021111101000A00002F0205460100010006
Shop #: WSC 04698 001 104857
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd6C3PASE 002010
ROD: EV_MUStd6C3PASE_AU37.rod
VCID: 3B72BBC1B230EBE648-806F

Engine Control Module 2:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8V0 919 866 B HW: -----------
Component: ECE 2014 --- 0036
Serial number: --------------------

Seat Adjustment Driver Side:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8V0 919 603 C HW: 8V0 919 603 C
Component: DU Std H48 0013
Serial number: AUZ8Z9DY3000NS

Sound System:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 8V0 919 614 B HW: 8V0 919 614 B
Component: ControlUnit_B H33 0037
Serial number: C1000027071300020767

1 Fault Found:
1586 - invalid data record
B2005 00 [008] - -
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 54
Mileage: 11034 km
Date: 2015.10.29
Time: 15:53:21
Can I ask to you ah help? Did you do the Vim unlock with VCP ? Can you post a full scan of the adaptation of the 5F module?

Can I ask to you ah help? Did you do the Vim unlock with VCP ? Can you post a full scan of the adaptation of the 5F module?
I have not completed VIM as yet as I am waiting on the supply of the VIM Files additional purchase pack.

I have not completed VIM as yet as I am waiting on the supply of the VIM Files additional purchase pack.
And now what are you able to do? I think that comparing full scan of adaptation (I dont know if you know how to do) I can reply the change that the VCP do in automatic! I did the same thing for the bixeno retrofit!

And now what are you able to do? I think that comparing full scan of adaptation (I dont know if you know how to do) I can reply the change that the VCP do in automatic! I did the same thing for the bixeno retrofit!
Unfortunately I cannot do anything VIM related, on my own car anyway, until I have the correct files. The default files supplied with VCP are for early versions of the MQB Platform MMI units (all VAG) without DAB Digital Radio. I have paid for the VIM pack and am waiting for the files to be added to my file manager / SmartCard ID.

If the VIM adaptations do show up in an "Adaptation Map" I doubt VCDS will be able to complete the needed changes as RossTech have not included support for, and have no future plans to support, VIM related channels. I will test anyway but feel I already know the answer.