A3 saloon rear screen & boot dimensions queries

Reaction score
I very much like the look of the new A3 saloon, however, as all my previous cars (none of them Audi's :no: ) have been hatchbacks fitted with a rear wiper, which is absolutely essential, I'm concerned that the rear screen of the saloon would get as dirty as a Sportbacks, or does the rear end design of the saloon reduce the amount of spray 'sucked up', and hence there is no need for a rear wiper?

Also, for those of you lucky enough to already own a saloon, does standing water on the rear screen when the car is stationary dissipate as soon as you start driving, or have you sometimes wished you had a rear wiper?

Regarding the saloon's boot access, can anyone provide the dimensions of the opening, i.e. width and height, as these are not clear in the brochure?

Thanks in advance,

Allan

Saloons never have rear wipers. Supposedly they don't need them beacuse of the shape and aerodynamics of it, but every time I've driven one I wished there was one, eg if has just rained or something especially.

What's worse are the people you see with one, but with a filthy or wet rear screen and them not bothering to clear it - you know they don't have a clue what's going on around them because a single look in their mirror would tell them it needs clearing!

I very much like the look of the new A3 saloon, however, as all my previous cars (none of them Audi's :no: ) have been hatchbacks fitted with a rear wiper, which is absolutely essential, I'm concerned that the rear screen of the saloon would get as dirty as a Sportbacks, or does the rear end design of the saloon reduce the amount of spray 'sucked up', and hence there is no need for a rear wiper?

Also, for those of you lucky enough to already own a saloon, does standing water on the rear screen when the car is stationary dissipate as soon as you start driving, or have you sometimes wished you had a rear wiper?

Regarding the saloon's boot access, can anyone provide the dimensions of the opening, i.e. width and height, as these are not clear in the brochure?

Thanks in advance,

Allan

I'd have prefered to have one too, but as cemerson says they never seem to. I think because physically they don't get any spray off the rear tyres/road, it helps, and you just stick the rear heater on to help. Bit annoying though. My wife used to have the last shape Civic, which didn't have one, as that had an odd spoiler half-way across the screen. It did annoy me a bit, but wasn't a show-stopper once you got used to it (not to mention the actual spoiler itself obsured the view, which wouldn't be the case on the saloon, plus as a hatch it did get spray!)

Some Ford saloons flirted briefly with rear wiper, namely the Orion and the Mk1 Mondeo. But there're not really needed the only thing that can cause a problem is water droplets but even they disperse once you get going. I think the boot dimensions are in the brochure..

Last edited:
Thought I would miss the wiper but I havent so far. I've only had it a couple of days but water on the rear window hasnt been a problem and it has been raining most of the weekend.

Once you get moving the water runs of pretty quickly. I guess the beading and run off relies on the screen being reasonably clean though and haven't really had it long enough to say whether dirt build up will be an issue.

I'll check in again in a week or two. Not that I intend to let it get particularly filthy:)