Why does my car sometimes beep at me when I turn the ignition on?

Took my battery out and charged it and got it tested after a good 8hrs charge and the test came back saying battery was no good so replaced the battery and have had no "beep" and "ESP system failure"

Reactions: LEE69
Mine did it this morning. 7 degrees and this time I caught the message and it flashed up esp fault :/ But there is nothing wrong with my car.

I would check abs connections on each corner, clean up, maybe some electrical cleaner/spray, see if helps with initial conductivity as that's what it is, slow response to an electrical connection, probably due to the cold.

I would check abs connections on each corner, clean up, maybe some electrical cleaner/spray, see if helps with initial conductivity as that's what it is, slow response to an electrical connection, probably due to the cold.

Been out today and cleaned all the ABS contacts with "contact cleaner"
Thanks Phil

Last edited:
Lets hope its that easy fix tbh fella, I'll be happy for you if it is.

My cars been stood since 22nd December (that's another story) it's been started a few times but now it's very flat and getting a different warning on the dash, each time we try to start it after being on jump leads for a while, think friends car hasn't got enough amps tbh)

I think I've sussed the problem on my car -
It only seems to happen when I'm a bit eager and turn the ignition on too quick. (i.e. not waiting for all lights, glow plugs etc to go out).
If I turn the ignition to the first position, put my seat belt on, then start the car, there is never a beep.

Like someone mentioned before, if you are too eager then the car hasn't completed all the sensor checks and throws up an error.
Just wait another 2 seconds and take your time. lol. :)

Yep another one that can attest to the single beep ESP warning as a shot battery. I got mine from here & cannot recommend them enough & the price is very competitive!

E44 Varta Silver Car Battery 77Ah (577400078) - Car Batteries - Varta Car Batteries

That's for mine which is a 2.0tdi bmn 170 bhp. Can tell the difference in starting as its well up on cold cranking amps over the original.....not sure if its 560 or 600 on standard & 780 on the Varta.

Yep another one that can attest to the single beep ESP warning as a shot battery. I got mine from here & cannot recommend them enough & the price is very competitive!

E44 Varta Silver Car Battery 77Ah (577400078) - Car Batteries - Varta Car Batteries

That's for mine which is a 2.0tdi bmn 170 bhp. Can tell the difference in starting as its well up on cold cranking amps over the original.....not sure if its 560 or 600 on standard & 780 on the Varta.

See how it goes but I think it'll still beep sometimes!

Mine did this morning (battery 6months old). I think I agree it is not letting all the systems do a check before starting the car, definitely a bug somewhere with the ESP.

I have found why mine only does it when the wife is driving

last night we wend out, I had already had a drink so she jumped in the cat when it was cold and started it without waiting for the glow plugs to go out, when I told her that as its a diesel you have to wait she did say that some times it takes a bit to get it started.:banghead::banghead:

i have a a3 tdi quattro sport 2002 and i have only owned it for a couple of months and the other day i did a egr delete and since doing that i have had 3/4 mornings when my has bleeped 3times or so.
i have just switched the ignition on and then a few seconds later its bleeped
it reminds me of when i had a sony car sterio in another car severall years ago and that sterio did a very simelar bleep.

Did a test this morning. The car only bleeped when the outside temperature was under 4C.
Could it be some sort of warning?
it will beep at 4degrees and under it will also show a snowflake, letting you know possible ice on roads... I get a really loud beep which makes the missus jump everytime when turning ignition on its the stupid hands free kit

My 2.0 TSI Scirocco used to do the same with me every so often, Could never understand why....