Cowboy mechanics - PICS!

The problem with recommendations is that members can nominate their (unknown to the rest of us) friends or family & earn a bonus! I doubt I'd trust it personally.

And yet without recommendations you're at the mercy of the dealer or lucky dip in the phone book for an indie. :-(

Personally I wouldn't trust a recommendation from someone with a low post count but otherwise would consider it.

Reactions: Artimus
And yet without recommendations you're at the mercy of the dealer or lucky dip in the phone book for an indie. :-(

Personally I wouldn't trust a recommendation from someone with a low post count but otherwise would consider it.

Recommendations from Forum members who have been on for a while and have many postings could make the difference to Blokes like our Mucker here. The Forum should at least have some sort of sticky set up with details of reputable dealers by area or even better, sponsors who have a good rep to stop this sort of malarky ever happening again.

Cheers
A

Reactions: Arnie013 and scotty76
Recommendations from Forum members who have been on for a while and have many postings could make the difference to Blokes like our Mucker here. The Forum should at least have some sort of sticky set up with details of reputable dealers by area or even better, sponsors who have a good rep to stop this sort of malarky ever happening again.

Cheers
A

This is a good idea. It would be useful for a lot of people.
But maybe only recommend a place if you have been there personally. We don't want stuff like "i heard its good…." without ever even seeing the work thats been done.
For me, unfortunately its only the dealer route for now, as the car is still under warranty. So I am at the mercy of them!

Yes I guess if you include details of what work you had done people can gauge how routine or otherwise the service given was.

iv been spannering for a fair few years now and have never seen bodges like this befor! proper shoddy work! iv known young techs to bust things or mangle things due to inexperiance but never this bodge and make do approach!

This is a good idea. It would be useful for a lot of people.
But maybe only recommend a place if you have been there personally. We don't want stuff like "i heard its good…." without ever even seeing the work thats been done.
For me, unfortunately its only the dealer route for now, as the car is still under warranty. So I am at the mercy of them!

Aye, too right you don't want a recommendation like "the secretary was fit and they replaced my windscreen wiper with a smile".....it would have to be imho somewhere where you have had major work done, timing belts, clutch etc...bodywork, spray paint etc....or examples of where they went way over the call of duty to help you back on the road......

BR
A

Reactions: Artimus
Now call me suspicous, but you got a cambelt and upper arm AND wheel bearing done for under 400 quid!
I know they didnt do all the work, BUT their quote did include all the above?
I have to ask, did you just go for the cheapest quote?

I supplied the timeing belt kit..