Aparently i have a sealed gearbox

mreco99

Reaction score
Hi

(A3 1.4 TFSI sportback 2009, 63k, automatic)

As we have just got the car, I was checking the service records and thought that the S-Tronic gearbox oil hadnt been changed at 38k. So phoned Audi and they checked (over the phone) and said its a sealed gearbox and the oil never needs changing.
Sounds handy to me!

I didnt even realise ours is 7 speed and not 6 speed!

Why arnt they all made like this? any downsides?

PS. flappy paddles were a bonus, and they work really well.

Is that for the (as quoted in the service manual)
1. S-Tronic oil and filter
or
2. Multitronic oil
Because according to the manual, neither of those have been done.

Is the multitronic gearbox different to my S-Tronic gearbox?

Last edited:
Yes, two very different boxes. Yours is s-tronic (dsg).

ok thanks, but i can only find info that backs up the Audi service dept in saying my 7 speed S-tronic A3 doesnt need oil and filter change.
Open to anwers.

Thread on this a few months back.
I have found no auto or DSG box is sealed for life.

So i should phone Audi main dealer back and tell them they are wrong? (did a search, didnt find the thread)

Consensus on other forums is the box is pressurised to 3 bar and needs NO oil change.

But any box with oil, IMHO can have it changed. It's a case of, does it really need to.

check this out..

To change the fluid in the 7sp DSG you need only 1.7L Gear oil, the Penrite Manual Gear Oil70 is suitable, so it shouldn't be expensive. VW has a track record of whatever component they say it's filled for life (lifetime fill), the life of it is not very long. Most likely 5years/120,000km.

I'm from old school and change the oil in everything that has the drain plug on regular basis. The transmissions (incl. diffs) are run in between 10,000km - 20,000kmfrom new and require oil change regardless. But, if you keep your car for only for 3-5 years than do what is in the servicing schedule. Here is the link to service schedule in my post; http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...tml#post684429 to clear up some confusions.

Im no car expert, so i dont feel confident enough to go and tell Audi how to service my car lol.

I changed a headlight bulb once, in a Mitsubushi. Ended up having to call the AA out as the car wouldnt tick over once i reconnected the battery, turned out you needed to keep your foot on the accelorator for 10 mins to reset the computer settings. After that i said never again.

I used to work in a main dealer and the 7 speeds have life time oil in them and thus don't need changing.

The s-tronic or DSG gearbox is basically a manual gearbox with some actuators that change gears for you.
It needs oil changes in the same way as a manual one: in theory never, in reality it could use changing it from time to time due to debris build ups mostly.
Now, there are 3 types of s-tronic boxes:
1. 6 speed with wet clutch. Because in this one has the clutch sitting in oil, more debris will build up and this is why it is recommended to change it every 40k miles or so. Also the oil helps cooling the clutch.
2. 7 speed with dry clutch. This one doesn't have the clutch immersed in oil so, no need to change it. The oil inside is only to lubricate the gears an you would want to change it the same way you would change it to a manual gearbox. Most people never id it...
3. 7 speed wet clutch. this is very similar to the 6 speed wet clutch. It is newer though and it is capable to handle more torque than the other two. It can be found on cars like the A5, S5, Tiguan etc. and can be combined with Quattro and transversal engines.

So, Mr. mreco99, don't worry about oil changes. You don't need to do it.

Reactions: SF-A3
thanks for the info. Just trying to do things right (within average user limits)

did this on a bmw 530d sealed for life but recommended a change at 100,000 miles . cost me £126 in oil alone, changed it , made no difference at all ,waste of money completely .

did this on a bmw 530d sealed for life but recommended a change at 100,000 miles . cost me £126 in oil alone, changed it , made no difference at all ,waste of money completely .

Just an update
There was a recall on the gearbox oil anyway, audi changed it for free. still 'sealed for life'