2.0 TDI DSG ECU Tuning???

JSportback

Reaction score
Website
www.transitionbikes-uk.com
Hi

Does anyone know who does this?

I have a DSG and would like more power and preferably I would like the DSG box's limit raising to sportify the drive a little bit more on my AS Sportback Sport.

Hope someone can help?

Jamie

[ QUOTE ]
Hi

Does anyone know who does this?

I have a DSG and would like more power and preferably I would like the DSG box's limit raising to sportify the drive a little bit more on my AS Sportback Sport.

Hope someone can help?

Jamie

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we can help - there are several different approaches available - AMD & Revo seem to be two of the more popular approaches.

I have both the Revo Stage 1 (187bhp/293 ft/lb torque) and the Stage 2 (202.6bhp/287 ft/lb torque) remaps installed.

For all round useability the Stage 1 approach is the way to go - much quicker and with better fuel economy than standard.

AmD Web site

Revo web site

With Amd you will have to drive down to Oxfordshire, with Revo you will find a dealer that can upload the remap onto your vehicle closer to home.

Enjoy!

Excellent thank you, out of sheer co-incidence I was actually looking at both their sites!

The Revo looks the most practical as I only have to travel 20 mins up the road! Plus all that torque!!!!

You won't stop grinning for a week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Another Bowfer I think !

[ QUOTE ]
I bet, see its either do this or buy a Golf GTi.... Hmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

GTI, no question! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So what's a Bowfer then?

[/ QUOTE ]

A strange creature that lives in the North! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry were my questions not simple enough for you?

I have no idea why I am a Bowfer, but obviously there's some superior intellect going on here somewhere...

I don't think this thread needs to go off on a tangent does it?

Relax JSportback, they're not having a go at you. Bowfer(A-S member) is notorious on here as being the most negative person regarding the DSG gearbox. If there is any mention of the DSG gearbox, it won't be long before Bowfer is posting his comments. He maintains the equilibrium on this board.

Aah ok, thanks for clarifying that, I thought it was have a go at the non regular day for a moment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I love the DSG gear box, but it does have it's downsides which I explained, it doesn't let me rev it to where I would a conventional manual. I suppose that could be the boy racer coming out in me, but I doubt it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

To put your mind at rest, Bowfer is the name of a chap who lives in Aberdeen.

What made me think you may be another Bowfer is that he has an A3 2.0 TDI with a DSG and wants to be able to rev it and when the DSG is set to tip-tronic or manual mode for the DSG not to decide to change up or down, which of course, it will, if you go over the maxium revs in any gear or let the revs drop to low for any gear.

You comments seem to indicate that you wanted to do the same.

There is a lot of 'banter' between Bowfer and other members of the forum over this point. If your interested search for DSG and you will see what I mean.

No problemo.

Revo and AMD are both highly regarded on here, and you won't be dissapointed with a remap. One thing I would suggest though, considering that you have a diesel, is that you don't need to rev it into the red-line. The power and torque characteristics of a diesel are very different to a petrol, and maximum power and torque are produced at lower revs, with a sharp drop off at high revs. You might find it more beneficial to "short change" to keep the car in the optimum power and torque band.

[ QUOTE ]
Can I suggest if you want to find out what a bowfer is that you check out the following I'm a Bowfer!!

Enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why point out a thread that has nothing to do with DSG ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

For the record,J Sportback,I too would dearly love to be able to make the DSG's manual mode a proper manual mode and not some poor imitation of it.

Tragically,no-one offers software that can change it,yet.

I will give that a try, but what I've found is that the 2.0TDI is very different to any diesel I've ever driven in the past with a very petrol like attitude.

I have spoken to my local Revo guy and reckon I'll be booking myself in soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No problemo.

Revo and AMD are both highly regarded on here, and you won't be dissapointed with a remap. One thing I would suggest though, considering that you have a diesel, is that you don't need to rev it into the red-line. The power and torque characteristics of a diesel are very different to a petrol, and maximum power and torque are produced at lower revs, with a sharp drop off at high revs. You might find it more beneficial to "short change" to keep the car in the optimum power and torque band.

[/ QUOTE ]

For normal driving,you're right.
For performance driving,the car is quicker if you let it rev.
My acceleration tests proved it,to me anyway.
You're welcome to try yourself of course.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can I suggest if you want to find out what a bowfer is that you check out the following I'm a Bowfer!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why point out a thread that has nothing to do with DSG ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup I did wonder! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well I'm sure the Revo will make me smile more, and hopefully leave me less inclined to rev the nackers off it!

If you want to rev the nackers off it you should try a 2.0 FSI. You have to rev the nackers off it to get it to go at all !

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup I did wonder! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well I'm sure the Revo will make me smile more, and hopefully leave me less inclined to rev the nackers off it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure.

Okay,I haven't actually driven a 'chipped' DSG diesel yet,but I have a feeling more performance would only make it more annoying.

I'll look forward to your opinion when you get it done ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No problemo.

[/ QUOTE ]

For normal driving,you're right.
For performance driving,the car is quicker if you let it rev.
My acceleration tests proved it,to me anyway.
You're welcome to try yourself of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer, have tried this on probably ALL the same roads as yourself, and revving much beyond 4k is pointless, in my A3 anyway. Maybe the sportback has different gearing, but I doubt it.

The remap makes the gearbox far better in my opinion. Much more willing to change down without use of kickdown.

I was demonstrating my car to a dealer today, they didn't use Sport once, despite asking about how it would perform in Sport mode beforehand. I guess the performance was more than adequate!

Jamie, just do it, you won't regret it.

[ QUOTE ]
The remap makes the gearbox far better in my opinion. Much more willing to change down without use of kickdown.

Jamie, just do it, you won't regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Total agreement with MikeP, it makes the DSG more 'manic' as the extra dollop of torque and power enable the car to accelerate much faster - and therefore it shifts through the six ratios with absoutely indecent haste.

Sport mode needs relabelling to 'Stupid' mode and is reserved for those special moments when you just have to blast past something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The transition from sensible crusing to scary acceleration is near instantaneous and requires lots of concentration...

It is like having a new car all over again.....

[ QUOTE ]
Aah ok, thanks for clarifying that, I thought it was have a go at the non regular day for a moment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I love the DSG gear box, but it does have it's downsides which I explained, it doesn't let me rev it to where I would a conventional manual. I suppose that could be the boy racer coming out in me, but I doubt it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi J - When you say it won't let you rev to where you want to, what do you mean? In manual mode, (Stick to the left) mine will let me rev all the way up to the red line and stay there (Providing I don't take the revs any higher when it will auto shift up to save itself) Does yours not do this?

Hi Matt

Nope, it revs up to about 200rpm before the redline and then changes up, which is a nightmare when you're gunning along, the car has changed up just before you pull the paddle and it goes up 2 gears instead of one.

That's with manual, stick to the left...

I'm going to ask Audi if there is something they can do about it, as its the one annoying part of the car.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Matt

Nope, it revs up to about 200rpm before the redline and then changes up, which is a nightmare when you're gunning along, the car has changed up just before you pull the paddle and it goes up 2 gears instead of one.

That's with manual, stick to the left...

I'm going to ask Audi if there is something they can do about it, as its the one annoying part of the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is going to tell him that the DSG is an automatic transmission (made by Borg Warner) that has had some flippy, flappy paddles added and a huge dose of marketing hype?

I love it just the way it is......

Come on Bowfer, get out of the trench and attaacckk!

Borg Warner were involved in a joint design exercise with Volkswagen engineers to produce the DSG but it is now made entirely in a Volkswagen factory.

Hi Jamie, i'll check mine tomorrow AM and see where it stops before changing up and let you know, to be honest I've not looked that closely to see if its on the redline or not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure that when mine auto changes at redline that if I pull paddle closely after DSG does not change up 2 gears, but realises the auto, if you get my drift. It certainly does this on auto change downs to avoid stalling.

mine acts the same as eefs - it seems to detect accidental double clicks (Unlike Windows /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )maybe there are differences in the software? just nipped to the shops and from what little i could do in the 40 limit it seems to change up at or near the red line, will have a proper look tomorrow when i can toke it in 3rd or 4th and see better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, if I miss the gear change then the box realises I'm having a slow day and doesn't change an extra gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was trying to put into words /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif