My First Audi - A4 Avant Quattro S-Line

DuncVolvoTurbo

Reaction score
Hi there Folks!

Thought it was about time that I posted up some pics of my car, as I've done some things to it so far, and more will come.

As you can see from my username, I'm a bit of a Volvo nut, and have had at least 1 ever since I learned to drive. Currently I've got a 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo (T5) thats had a fair bit of tinkering done to it. It's been off the road for a couple of years, but I am looking to get it "show-ready" once the weather gets a bit better.

After doing all the work to the Volvo, I needed a sensible daily driver, so I bouhgt myself a 2003 VW Passat 140 Tdi. That was my first VAG car, and after owning it, I knew it wouldn't be my last. It was starting to need a few things doing to it, so I thought it best to get something new, and an A4 was on the cards. However, at a local dealer sat a 2008 Saab 9-3 TTiD Aero 180, and I just had to have it. It was an amazing car, all the toys, looked awesome in black, and I remapped it to 210bhp from the twin turbo diesel. Sadly, it had it's problems, so I traded it into where I worked at the time, and I bought the car I was after in the first place.....an Audi A4 2.0Tdi 170 S-Line Avant Quattro in black.

And so, the story begins.

K984UCC 012406201034827052012127Saab31

I picked it up in August, and with all my cars, I had to start changing it. The very first mod was to remove the Arnold Clark sticker from the back :eyebrows:

I was a bit low on funds, so I set about de-badging the rear, a nice simple task, but makes a big difference. I wanted to leave the Audi rings, as I think it looks a bit too bare without them. Oh, had to put the private number on with a set of metal pressed plates too.

IMG 0799IMG 0801

Next was to fix the look of the worn seat bolsters. I've done this on many a high-mileage Volvo, and it works a treat. All you need is some shoe scuff coating, leather cleaner and protector. A quick clean of the seat, then apply to scuff coating and leave to dry. Next give the whole seat a coating of the protector and.....jobs a good 'un.

IMG 0800IMG 0803

On to the gearknob as mine was starting to discolour. I toyed with the option of going for the RS4 perforated version to match the steering wheel, but I ended up going for the Forge Big One in the brushed silver look. It compliments the dash trim really well, and all though it looked MASSIVE at first, I soon got used to it, and I think it looks just right now.

002003 2

Next up was the obligatory red led ambient light upgrade. Just to the front for now, but I might do the rear.

My next big decision was black or chrome? Did I want to dechrome the whole car, or should I leave the chrome and change the wing mirror covers? There are a few nice all black Audis, but I decided to go the chrome route. So on with a nice set of In Pro chrome mirror caps, not just the stick on covers (I put these on my old Passat too).

A little while later I found some black side repeaters. I wasn't sure if I'd like them at first, thought they might have been a bit chavvy.....but luckily they weren't and suit the car really well (seen a few others with them on the forum too).

There are more little things to come soon, and bigger things (hopefully) in the future. I know it's not such a major thread as some, but I hope some of you will see some things you like.

Welcome, I'm just new here too. I've got an 07 Avant Quattro. Debaging looks great but I'm in two minds about doing it to mine. Probably will though!

Reactions: DuncVolvoTurbo
Welcome, I'm just new here too. I've got an 07 Avant Quattro. Debaging looks great but I'm in two minds about doing it to mine. Probably will though!

Welcome to you too, from a fellow Scot! I think that debadging is a must, just depends if you want to go the whole hog and get rid of the rings too.

Reactions: Camster
I'm thinking of debadging the rear but fitting black Audi badges. Think the front in black looks great on the black grill but I'm not too sure of a black badge on dolphin grey at the rear. Also thinking of fitting the black S-Line badges to match.

Think the only main question is do I debadge now or later!!

I bought a 2.0T black edition quattro about 2 weeks ago now and must say it's absolutely cracking I've bought a few of the black s line badges too :)

Welcome Dunc. You've been busy and I sense there's much more to come. :)

I always loved a good T5.

Welcome mate! There's many helpful members on here, all of which have helped me through 3 years of ownership :)

Great start budd.

Have you got a link to that gear knob it looks the part there!

Thank you very much... Roll on pay day.

Thank you very much... Roll on pay day.

No probs bud. I suppose it is expensive when you can get an RS4 one cheaper, but I think it was worth it....something a bit different, and gives the look of a short shifter.

Reactions: bowen
Also debadged the back, but left the rings on in black,, it looks sweet!!!

Also debadged the back, but left the rings on in black,, it looks sweet!!!

The front looks great with the black badges. That was definitely my plan, and same with the black S Line badges all round too.

I really like the black Audi rings at the rear but more-so on lighter colours, just not so sure on dolphin grey. Saw a dolphin grey A3 just over a week ago, it was debadged but with a black badge at the rear and I wasn't overly convinced which was a shame. I'll probably do it anyway, I'm sure it'll look good when it's on!

Time to get them ordered!

Remap time, unleash the full beast! Best mod on the 2.0T. :)

Where is the best place to go ?? Is it a good idea to get anything else like an induction kit or dump valve ? To be honest the car is quick but I can't hear the thing spool up or anything

Reactions: supra steveo
Time for the next wee update. I have had front screen decals on a couple of my previous cars, Oooooosh on my Euro-esque VW Passat, and MapTun on my Saab 9-3, so I thought I would keep the tradition up on my Audi. I thought of a few different texts to have on it, then it hit me, and it was so obvious........Quattro. I wanted to keep it discreet, so I decided to go for a matte black vinyl in the correct font as well, and while I was at it, I got one for the rear screen too.

Decal Front Decal Rear

Next was a set of LED number plate lights that a few members on here have recommended, and after fitting them, I they are right to recommend them. Great quality, cheap, and from the UK (Audi A3 8P A4 S4 B6 8E RS4 B7 A6 C6 RS6 Q7 LED License Number Plate Light S Line | eBay). I'm sure I'll get round to doing more LED things in the future, but replacements, not tacky/chavvy stuff.

Number Plate Lights 1 Number Plate Lights 2

One thing that did annoy me about my Audi was that I couldn't play my Ipod. I like the OEM look (yes I know the gear knob isn't VAG, but looks good and matches the trim really well), so after looking around at various DVD/CD players, I did eventually decide to try and find the correct Audi Ipod connector. It turned out that it was the same kit that I used in my Passat, kinda wished I kept that now. So after a bit of searching I found the kit at about £20 cheaper anywhere else just 20miles away from me at Perth Audi. When I got the kit, it was missing one of the connectors, and typically that was the connector that I needed. After a bit of toing and froing, and thanks to the excellent customer service from the Perth Audi parts team, I got the correct parts needed (and something else that I can tell you later). I know a lot of you don't like the Audi kit because it doesn't display track info etc, but it does exactly what I need it to......play music. Due to the fact that I play my music from my Iphone, I decided to run the cable under the climate control unit, rather than put it in the glove box where it's supposed to go. I don't think it looks too bad at all.

Ipod Kit

Just a very small thing, and probably won't stay on the car long, but I did get them for the price of a can of coke. Can't be bad at that price.

Valve Caps

Finally for now, some of you might have seen my thread asking about dewipering the rear. This was due to a faulty rear wiper motor, and I thought it would be a nice cheap cosmetic mod. However, after listening to some good advice, I decided to replace the motor and while I was at it, go for the Q5 rear wiper mod too. I wasn't sure if I was that keen on the idea at first, as I kinda liked that the original wiper was completely covered, but after doing it I think it does look a lot better, and works so much better too.

Wiper Kit Rear Wiper 1 Rear Wiper 2

Do u have part numbers for rear wiper arm and blade parts you need mate

Reactions: Molnboman
What is it with everyone debadging their cars, I bought my quattro in oct and it had no badges on, apparently it came fromthe factory like it, anyway I've put badges ON

What is it with everyone debadging their cars, I bought my quattro in oct and it had no badges on, apparently it came fromthe factory like it, anyway I've put badges ON

You either do or you don't I guess. I remember decades ago most manufacturers had de badging as no cost option to deter thieves or to make their cars look a bit stealthy....Am on the fence on the whole subject myself.

P 20140219 143456

Do u have part numbers for rear wiper arm and blade parts you need mate

Arm: 8R0 955 407
Blade: 8R0 955 425
Cap: 8K9 955 205
Jet Nossle: 8E9 955 985

Simple, it looks so much better, cleaner and smoother without the badges. I don't need everyone to know I drive an A4 2.0TDi, I know, and my insurance company know.

And its less places for the polish to get trapped in and look cack lol

Reactions: Arnie013 and DuncVolvoTurbo
I've not got a huge amount to say, but some serious cash has been getting spent on the car.

Some of you might have seen my thread asking about what brakes are good for the A4. Well after a lot of recommendations for the Mtec disc & Mintex pad set up, that was what I went for. I chose to go for the grooved black version, and so far they work so much better than the standard set up. Thought I should upgrade the brake lines too with some nice HEL ones (carbon fibre look).

1799914 487136004742686 1992006894 o

The day after taking it out the garage, the clutch "went". Driving up a hill behind a tractor, dropped down to 1st (yes the tractor was going that slow), and when I tried to put it into second as I was overtaking, the pedal stayed on the floor. Not sure that the smell of burning clutch is quite up there on my list of Top Ten Smells. Once again, I was back on here asking questions, and searching the internet for the best prices. At one point I was tempted to go for the Genuine Audi Fixed Price Service option, but a clutch on its own for around the £950 mark seemed a bit expensive. Even more so when I managed to source OE Luk 3piece kit & DMF for under £400, but I just needed somewhere to get it fitted. I was given a bit of advice on here, that I should also get some new bolts (strange that the kit didn't come with them), so for these I went Genuine Audi. For the fitting, I took it back to the same garage that did the brakes for me, Augustus Autos in Carnoustie. It's a great little garage, that sell great cars too (no they didn't pay me to say that).

There's not been anything more exciting happening lately, hopefully that's me done with the routine stuff, and I can get back to the fun bits once again.

Last edited:
Hi mate, I also have an A4 Avant 2.0 Tdi Quattro (170) in silver, having read the bit about applying the shoe scuff coating to your seats, what products did you use as I to have the same problem! Thanks

Hi mate, I also have an A4 Avant 2.0 Tdi Quattro (170) in silver, having read the bit about applying the shoe scuff coating to your seats, what products did you use as I to have the same problem! Thanks

Any black shoe scuff coat should work fine. I used Gliptone products to clean away any excess (and the whole seat) and then conditioned. I've done it on loads of old Volvos, that were far worse than the Audi, and all had a great result.

Gliptone Liquid Leather Cleaner & Conditioner + 2 FREE G Cloths | eBay

Would the iPhone connector work with the Navigation Plus unit & cd changer?

No idea. It's a genuine Audi one I've got, so you should check with your local Audi Dealer. They'll be able to tell you the correct kit, as there seems to be a few different ones.