Just got pulled by police.

CJ A4

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi guys i have just been caught speeding on the A40 doing 50.64 mph on a 40mph just before it goes to 50mph. The patrol car pulled me in and have issued a fixed £60 penalty and 3 points. The road conditions were perfect. It is a 3 lane motorway it was dry and bright (sunny) with only a few other cars a hundred yards or so infront of me. What can i do if anything to contest this. Any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated. I have had no other penalties before this so it has really p!ssed me off. Thanks guys

Similar happened to me a few years ago. I was doing 42mph in a supposed 30 zone (honestly didn't know it was). Its was a dual carriageway with central reservation running through an industrial area, ie no pedestrians. Cops got me just before the 40 signs, hiding in a little in-shot. No idea why this road was only a 30.

I paid the fine got my 3 points and the silly b*stards never cashed the cheque!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Sorry to hear that CJ.... I'm not very well educated in "Get out clauses" for these types of offences, so sorry my man, cant offer any advise...

Right Big Boy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First off, I'm no expert on this, but I have had a few run-ins with plod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.. if you decide to contest it please be aware that the judge has the right to increase the penalty ssssoooo... if you look at it from a cost angle, £60 notes and 3 points may not be so bad as say £500 notes lawyers fees + penalty + increase (if any). However, you're not alone here in the fact that you wish to contest the fine, what I would do is go back IMMEDIATELY and take photos of the driving conditions motorways etc etc, eveything that will help your case.. believe me CJ I've been there and sympathise with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif, however there are those on the board that will chastise you for what you've done and I disagree with them as its all to easy to have a lapse in concentration and increase speed by 15mph, however, what you must do is look at all the evidence to discredit the case, i.e other cars in the vacinity, what speeds etc, what did the officer advise you, were you given the correct information, were you on VASCAR tape? etc it maybe more hassle than its worth, but its a long road to take and at cost too... good luck and I hope you're successful but be prepared for the worst case scenario..Oh! and if you know of a decent lawyer make sure he's with you 110% and not in it for the money, you're talking to probably the only Scotsman that got done for having a radar detector AND IT WASN'T EVEN PLUGGED IN OR WORKING!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gifand thats before they were legal! If its any consolation I got done before Xmas @ 87mph on the M6 again on the inside lane , nae ****** around me for over a mile and it was a hidden camera that clocked me... so yes, I feel for you amigo.. damned unfair, considering you can't make a citizens arrest on PLOD for his erract driving.... seen tonnes of that and had a fight with one on the M8 and got away with it! Good Luck and keep me posted... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Good grace and dignity required here.

You were exceeding a statutory speed limit and therefore there are no grounds to contest the charge.

If it goes to court then the judge / sheriff will be unamused at his time being wasted and conclude that the limit was 40 and you were above it regardless of conditions or the apparent sense (or otherwise) of the limit. I would have thought that most solicitors would conclude the same, it would be folly to challenge it - the likely outcome will be at least 3 points plus a fine (no less than £60) plus expenses - most court trips are worth at least £1000.

David is right, CJ. This is one of those cases where the basic facts aren't in dispute (or in old-lag parlance "It's a fair cop, guv, you got me bang to rights").

Best view it pragmatically, take your lumps & move on (slowly)

Sorry to hear that CJ.

If you have ammited that you were speeding, then i dont think you can do anything.

The only thing you probably could do is to deny speeding and ask, when was your equiptment last calibrated, cuz they all need to be calibrated, dont know how regualr, but the do.

I got done in similar circumstances, 59 in a temporary 50 limit on the M20 at 6am. Bl**dy annoying - also my first and only time - and so I sympathise with you.

However, I'd have to agree with David and Jeff. You haven't really got a leg to stand on. The limit was 40 and you were exceeding it (by more than 20%) so there's no case regardless of conditions.

My main concern was around the points affecting my insurance premium, but I actually still got a cheaper price the following year by shopping around. So no worries there.

Mike

CJ i would take it on the chin, if you dispute it your fine will probably go up like 28v6 said, Also guess who the police will be looking for everytime you go pass them, its cat and mouse, you may dispute it and get away with it but my guessing is that the copper that pulled you will be keeping a eye out for your motor and pull you for something else, I know for a fact that most have no probs with speed on the motorway as long as your not dangerous and not going like bat out of hell but they take a sterner view if your speeding in 30 or 40 mph zone.

Try this link for more advice

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=idx

Thanks for the advice guys....... i have no problem paying the £60 fine its just the points i mean the ****** cop could of just given me a warning and if it wasnt for him sitting right on my backbox and me constantly looking in the rear view mirror incase he was trying to get past i probably would of been a little more focused on my speed. The least the guy could of done was given me a warning but i guess these guys have to dish out their quota of tickets too so as to justify their existence, pathetic really but hey the laws the law i suppose. Cheers anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

If you want to contest it, first look for basic things like if it is signed correctly. For a 40 limit the first repeaters should be within 250m of the terminal signs, then the repeaters should be no more than 350m apart if on opposite sides of the road or no more than 500m if on the same side. This is only 'guidance' in circular 1/95 but i think if these advisory leaflets recommend something it is taken that this should be followed.

The other thing to check if you have time is to get a copy of the traffic regulation order for the speed limit and check it over, check that the terminals start in the right place etc. Could maybe get a copy through the freedom of information act??? The Council should have a Traffic Management department or something similar to contact.

That's all the help i can give really, but i do feel for you, you would think they could have given you a 'chat' and ticked you off instead of points for a first offence. Oh well, good old plod! Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
Is CJ the stig i herd they were using another stig for sundays topgear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stig more like stung! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Unlucky speedy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad Bad taste but Very Very funny and before you lot moan i am awaiting my summons for 109.98mph on the motorway, i have been driveing like a vicar ever since and according to my computer my average speed around town is 25mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone knows TDi is the Stig

[/ QUOTE ]

Too right!

stigcopy.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
i mean the ****** cop could of just given me a warning and if it wasnt for him sitting right on my backbox and me constantly looking in the rear view mirror incase he was trying to get past i probably would of been a little more focused on my speed. The least the guy could of done was given me a warning but i guess these guys have to dish out their quota of tickets too so as to justify their existence, pathetic really but hey the laws the law i suppose. Cheers anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to fall out over it but come on! What do you expect if you're speeding with plod right up your jacksie!

He didn't have a lot of choice did he. Effectively you were baiting him to nick you. Take it on the chin and learn the lesson. Speeding when plods behind you isn't the best idea in the world.

I think as it was actually a plod you don't have a leg to stand on, if it was a camera that caught you that'd be another matter, I've got no problem if plod catch me it's just mobile speed cameras that get on my nerves in a huge way!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i mean the ****** cop could of just given me a warning and if it wasnt for him sitting right on my backbox and me constantly looking in the rear view mirror incase he was trying to get past i probably would of been a little more focused on my speed. The least the guy could of done was given me a warning but i guess these guys have to dish out their quota of tickets too so as to justify their existence, pathetic really but hey the laws the law i suppose. Cheers anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to fall out over it but come on! What do you expect if you're speeding with plod right up your jacksie!

He didn't have a lot of choice did he. Effectively you were baiting him to nick you. Take it on the chin and learn the lesson. Speeding when plods behind you isn't the best idea in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep your right can't say anything i was in the wrong just reckon that if the guy had of been anywhere half reasonable i would of gotten off with a warning but whats done is done......my license needs to be renewed for my new address and i dont know where it is so i wont be bringing it to the station for them to put points on it.....what is usually the procedure if that happens....do i have to declare when i next get insured?

Not sure how the points go on but it's very important you tell the unsurer now and not at renewal.

You have information that affects theire liability therefore you are obliged to let them know. If you don't and there's an accident they could refuse payment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry to hear CJ.

Still awaiting my punishment from not seeing the mobile camera last month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

i went with morethan this year cj, after getting 3 points last year and my premium (albeith with slightly higher excess) went down. they were over 100quid cheaper than anyone else i tried. so its not end of world with 3 points in terms of insurance premiums,

I always thought you'd have to let the insurers know straight away, but my missus works in the Customer Service department for an insurance company (Churchill) and she said that I didn't need to tell them until renewal. So I didn't, and they never queried it.

In terms of you having the wrong address ... my license also had the wrong address on it when I was caught. Fearing a £1,000 fine for not changing my address, I rang the Maidstone police (who caught me) and explained that I was "just about" to send off my license to the DVLA as I'd recently (3 years ago) moved house and needed to change my address. They said to send them the license anyway with a note to send it back to my new address, not the one on the license.

So I did as they suggested, and they very kindly(!!) sent my license (with points added) directly to the DVLA, as they noticed my address was incorrect. The DVLA then contacted me to thank me for sending in my old license, but that I hadn't followed the correct procedure and needed to include a photo and fill out a form etc!!!!! This was about September last year. Needless to say I still haven't got round to sending in the appropriate docs to DVLA, and so they still have my license!

Pain in the a*se! Ho hum, I'll get round to it one day.

Mike

Pain in the a*se! Ho hum, I'll get round to it one day.

Yeah the next time you get pulled and the police give you 7 days to produce documents, then we will see you panic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I reccomend you play the system, plead not guilty, and drag it out as long as possible....... If you're lucky they'll lose the paperwork or make some other ****-up, and you'll never hear from them again.............. Its worked for me in the past!