Grounds/Earths 1.9tdi Sportback 2009

wrightyrx7

Reaction score
Hi all,

Re: 1.9tdi Sportback 2009

Anyone got a diagram of where all the grounding points are on my car?

Wrighty, according to my Haynes manual, the 11 ground locations on the A3 are:
E1 engine compartment, next to battery
E2 LH A pillar
E3 Behind the LH headlight
E4 Next to steering column
E5 Lower LH A pillar
E6 Behind RH headlight
E7 RH C pillar
E8 LH C pillar
E9 RH A pillar
E10 Under central console
E11 Behind LH headlight.

I have had electrical problems with my car since the rear bumper was taken off and sprayed. They also took the rear lights out. Im wondering if they have prayed over it or damaged something.

I have had electrical problems with my car since the rear bumper was taken off and sprayed. They also took the rear lights out. Im wondering if they have prayed over it or damaged something.

Do you have rear parking sensors?

The wiring for the lights is surrounded in a pretty robust coating so i'd be surprised if its anything to do with that. And unless you have rear parking sensors im not entirely sure what other wiring would run into the rear bumper

No i don't have rear parking sensors. It might just be coincidence that this problem started a week after being sprayed.

Without going into the problems Im having one of the suggestions was maybe static build up. Im just trying everything thats been suggested, but maybe i was misinformed.

If you have static sometimes taking both leads off the battery and touch both earth and live together and that will clear any static , have you had no joy even with the new cluster you where getting, I still have this problem but I can't get vag com to talk to my car at all

Hi John ler,

No the other cluster didn't fix the problem....

So now I'm looking at the ECU or the COMFORT CONTROL MODULE.

Comfort control unit is a new edition for checking haha. This problem has been since I have had work done on the back of my car.

When speaking with a Auto electrician/locksmith , I didn't mention the work done to the back end but he said the comfort module would be the first thing he would check (which is at the back end of my car).

Last edited:
Yea mine wont read the car if the instrument cluster isn't working.

Is yours a permanent fault or intermittent?

Where you from?

Im using a Ross-Tech cable too. As long as the instrument cluster lights up then it reads the car.

Mine is an intermittent problem. So when my ignition comes on normal, the car scans, if it doesn't. The car will not scan.

Have you thought of checking the ignition key barrel? These can fail intermittently and give strange results.

The ignition key barrel consists of two parts. The locking part which the key operates, and then an electrical switch which is operated by turning the key. It is this switch which can cause electrical problems if it is intermittent. When I suggested you checked this unit, I was thinking of older cars, where the access to the switch part was quite easy. Looking at my workshop manual it seems like one has to pull off the A3 steering wheel to gain access....!!!! Perhaps another member can suggest a good way to get to the switch and check if it is working OK. One quick test is to jiggle the key a bit and see if the cluster illuminates. If it does, it points to an intermittent connection in the switch or plug.

Reactions: wrightyrx7
Your ECU is the problem. I think you are chasing rainbows now tbh.

Maybe if you ask a mod to combine all the threads related others will be able to help you chase the rainbow down :D

To clarify, with a new cluster fitted the problem replicated. with an unlocked replacement ecu the fault did not replicate with either cluster. Ignition switch/ coil reader did not fail. There is a memory fault in the ECU.

Has the convenience module logged any errors??