NEW OEM BRAKE DISCS GOING ORANGE??? HELP!!!!

shortfletch11

Reaction score
Hi all,

potentially a dumb question, but thought I would ask amongst the Audi experts on here - today i had my rear discs and pads replaced with Audi standard S3 parts and my front discs and pads cleaned as had a squeaking issue which was annoying when braking! On the way home as expected there was no squeaking and when home was pleased to see the discs were nice and clean and shiny!

I then washed my car the normal way and noticed afterwards my discs had turned an orange colour, more noticeable on the front? I use Autoglym Clean Wheels to clean my alloys and then rinse with a gentle jet spray not a powerwasher?

Can someone tell me why the discs are now orange? Will the squeaking now come back?

cheers

shortfletch11

Discs are steal, a light coating is normal right after a wash.

As for the squealing, use them harder/later.

Reactions: crunchie
Squeaky discs can often be fixed by ensuring the edges of the pad plates and backs of the pad plates are coated with some copper grease before they go in the calipers.

As for going orange, yeah they can lightly rust over pretty fast.

Reactions: NHN
I use the Autoglym clean wheels too on my S3 and it always makes the discs go the orange colour you mentioned. It goes back to normal after a very short spin in the car.

My brakes had the squeal issue too, it's gone for the moment so fingers crossed it stays that way. Out of interest, if you don't mind my asking, what did Audi charge for rear discs, pads and the labour as I think mine might be due sometime in the near future?

Cheers

I use the Autoglym clean wheels too on my S3 and it always makes the discs go the orange colour you mentioned. It goes back to normal after a very short spin in the car.

My brakes had the squeal issue too, it's gone for the moment so fingers crossed it stays that way. Out of interest, if you don't mind my asking, what did Audi charge for rear discs, pads and the labour as I think mine might be due sometime in the near future?

Cheers

have a go yourself is very straight forward, will save you a lot of money.

rear discs are NOT straightforward. unless its a lower model where the disc will come out without taking the calliper carrier off. Its not handy.

rear discs are NOT straightforward. unless its a lower model where the disc will come out without taking the calliper carrier off. Its not handy.

The caliper carrier is just another two bolts after the caliper is off no?

yeah they are 14mm spline bit, access is tight, and they are on TIGHT.

defo doable ok but trickier than most cars. I popped the top arm off at the hub to get clearance for the top bolt. made life a lot easier.

defo doable ok but trickier than most cars. I popped the top arm off at the hub to get clearance for the top bolt. made life a lot easier.

Cheers for the heads up, I assume little chance of getting an impact gun in there then?

Agree with this, I'm quite handy with a spanner having changed engines quite a few times on different cars etc and they were a pain in the **** to do! Took me a few hours to complete.

Very little to no chance of getting an impact gun in unless you take all the swing arms off.

just done the second side there in about 30 mins :) Was much handier after Id sussed the first side. Even on the drive it was ok but you really need to take the top arm off at the hub to get some access.

no chance of an impact gun at all.