chewing wheel bearings

Crazypete00

Reaction score
hey, after some advice. my S3 seems to go through alot of wheel bearings on one wheel. i've had about 4 bearings on the same side in 4 years.

it all started when someone rear ended my car while it was parked on a hill, no one was in my car at the time but luckly a friend seen it happen. the front passenger side of the car was pushed up onto a curb and into a small wall.

ever since then i need to change my wheel bearing every year on that front passengers side wheel. So im guessing something is causing the bearing to prematurely fail. anyone got any clues what to look for?

im planning on changing wishbones + bushes, tie rods, drop links and anti roll bar soon anyway so if theres anything else i should look for/replace?

thanks

sorry to bring back an old thread. this was 2 years ago. replaced the bearing back then and again now 2 years on it needs replacing. I still cant find out what is wearing out the bearing.

i changed the wishbone + all bushes, tie rods and drop links. i'm now looking at replacing the hub and drive shaft and new CVs. anything else i should replace or look at while i'm at it?

Id replace the hub and the flange, go from there.

Are they cheap bearings from euro car parts etc? Have you
tried a genuine one? I've had cheap bearings fail just outside of 12 months

first one i had was fitted by Audi so not sure on make. 2 previous ones were FAG. now trying a febi one. anyone know where i can get a hub from. Audi quoted £200 +vat (WTF)

seen A3 ones for £30-40 but they seem to be a different part number for the S3

Febi, skf, fag, are all good quality, the torque settings are pretty critical, you may have a slightly bent driveshaft, which being out of balance would probably wreck the bearing in time, or possibly the diff bearing could be worn, which could in turn wear the wheel bearing with vibration.

ok thanks. going to try replacing the hub first. anyone know where i can get a from wheel hub for an S3?

so far all i have found is the rear ones or a front one straight from audi for £200 +VAT

What are the signs that the bearings are going?

I ask because my car has developed a strange two tone 'whistling' sound at speeds above 40mph (in any gear and neutral and at any revs) so I think it must be some sort of bearing...