Audi A6 V6 TDi and other VAG models swirl flap arm and butterfly repair kits

gupsterg

Reaction score
Hi fellow members,

The 3.0 TDi V6 is used in a lot of VAG models and the 2.7 TDi is derived from the 3.0 design so they both suffer from the "swirl manifold issue"

Issues that can occur:-

1) Swirl flap motor malfunction

2) Swirl flap link arm wear

3) Swirl butterflies bearing wear

So first image showing engine bay location of elements:-

SwirlFlapMotorLabelled_zps7c13e1cd.jpg

Yellow text is cylinders numbering, green text is cylinder banks, red boxes swirl motors and code.

Now remedy for faults:-

1) Swirl motor can be purchased and replaced, VDO have an online catalogue for cross ref'ing.

2) Swirl arm repair kit from VAG dealers can be bought cheaper than ebay offerings.

Swirllinks-2.jpg

Item 1 is swirl arm, 2 is the follower (orientation must be observed upon replacing), 3 is clip to secure follower.

P/N is 059 198 212
D
escription is "repair set for intake manifold"

Here is copy of my invoice if dealer say not exist:-

Audi20_zps8bfc32e4.jpg

Here is video from another owner replacing bank 2 swirl arm/follower

Bank 1 is more difficult to do in situ as the clip to hold follower to manifold has to be guided on upside down.

Some people who I have spoken to have either used a method of gluing clip to a tool then guiding it on or managed with sheer ingenuity!

3) Swirl butterflies bearing wear can be repaired by these :-

Here is video of dismantling of manifold after removal by another owner

Where I sourced butterflies repair kit Link:- Audi | VAG | VW 3.0 TDI & 2.7 TDI swir flap intake manifold refurbisment | AirShox

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: B5NUT
Hi great post not long owned my a6 c6 2.7tdi 2006 158k what symptoms should i be looking for if my swirl flaps are questionable as it seems to be running fine
cheers Pete

You will get a MIL if there is any issue, just before you set key to crank engine the swirl flaps are actuated to see if function is correct. So if motor failed just at that instant you'd get MIL on cluster as soon as cranking finish. The tolerance for wear on the link arms is so tight that when the motor actuates a little percentage out it will throw a MIL on cluster. Excessive wear on bearings of butterflies can cause movement which can send link arms out and again MIL occur.

Hello, I have a 57 plate 2.7tdi A6 Avant Le Mans. EML has been on for about 3 years with error code P3135. Performance unaffected.

I had the repair kit fitted about 18 months ago. It worked for a few weeks but the EML came on again, performance and fuel consumption completely unaffected.
If the repair kit doesn't work for you, instead of mapping out the flaps or getting an expensive manifold rebuild done, you could try fitting these "emulators" from Avtoelektronika in Slovenia (yes!!). See YouTube video:-

I had a pair sent and they were fitted last week. Did the job perfectly. They cost about £140 the pair. A lot cheaper then new manifolds or the cost of fitting a kit from Darkside. Have done over 600 miles since then, performance and fuel consumption fine .. in fact, if anything, may be even better than before.