Hold Assist and brake lights

I also agree. I have always hated stopping behind an automatic where the driver sits there with their foot on the brake hence the brake lights on especially at night. I vowed that when I had my first s-tronic I would not do that and used to put my car in to neutral when I was stopped and another car stopped behind me. Now with the 8V it is so easy just to click the Parking Brake on.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Kinda wish I hadn't read this thread now.

The whole reason I specified HA was to not have to touch anything when I stop at lights on hills etc.

Little bit annoyed to find out I'll be blasting the red lights out the back.

I must admit I'm the same. I never use Hold-Assist and would not bother to include it in my spec next time. I'm happy to use the parking brake whenever I need to hold the car still. At least it was only £90.

Well you're more considerate than I am as I would find it a bit too much of a wrench to stop using it now, given how useful I find it.

In my, admittedly weak, defense I've hardly ever used the handbrake in my previous cars so I was already 'that guy' at the traffic lights.

I still use both in my car but usually apply the handbrake once somebody has pulled up behind me or there is a longer wait before starting off again...

Reactions: Martinbanshee and JohnM100
I still use both in my car but usually apply the handbrake once somebody has pulled up behind me or there is a longer wait before starting off again...

I have started doing this too. Its equivalent to good practice in an old school manual as it helps warn the car approaching behind you that you are stationary/slowing down.

John.

HHA is much quicker to work with when in slow moving / stationary traffic. To keep flicking on the hand break is actually slow to the point I tried it for s**** and giggles one time and someone beeped me for not getting a move on quick enough.

Still not convinced about being super courteous to the person behind - yes, if I am going to be stopped for 2/3 minutes then I would put the hand brake on.:oops:

Last edited:
I must admit, that until I read this thread I have never given the issue any thought. If I'm sat behind somebody who has there foot on the brake - it doesn't bother me in the slightest -it never has..

Reactions: j0nny2013
A glimmer (!) of compromise ......

It states in the Audi Glossary (amongst other places)

"If the vehicle remains stationary for a long period with Audi hold assist active, the system automatically switches over to the electromechanical parking brake."

So the question is, what defines a "long period"? Anyone with Hold Assist care to measure the time the symbol takes to change from green to red?

Wouldn't it be useful if the likes of Hold Assist & Magnetic ride came under "H" and "M" respectively in the glossary rather than "A" due to an "Audi" prefix!

Reactions: phil1824