HELP!! Really bad noise coming from engine :-/

GaryStewart07

Reaction score
So my clutch and flywheel were replaced just over 2 weeks ago.

Now the engine is making a really bad vibrating noise like a hammer drill but only when you rev between 1200>1400 RPM after that the noise vanishes.

I can hear most with my head in the footwell but when outside the car its really faint.

Any ideas on this please? :(

It's a 2.0L FSI Sport

did audi do it or another garage? Id ring them and tell them to re inspect it

Sounds like the work that's been done needs reinspecting

Sounds like the work that's been done needs reinspecting

I'm wondering if its possibly an engine mount as it sounds fine idling at 900rpm but only between 1200>1400 RPM its making that horrendous noise and then disappears all the way up to max RPM

Could be, but unlikely. I take it none of the heat shields have been disturbed during rebuild?

Dual mass flywheels spring adapt at around 2000rpm (Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John)

Does the noise happen when static (eg revving), or on the move (or both)

Could be, but unlikely. I take it none of the heat shields have been disturbed during rebuild?

Dual mass flywheels spring adapt at around 2000rpm (Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John)

Does the noise happen when static (eg revving), or on the move (or both)

It's doing it in both situations as I heard it pulling away from traffic lights at first. Stopped to see and it does it out of gear with the same frequency at 1200>1400 RPM

There has however been a rattle noise (very much like a heat shield) since day1 thats happens at the same intervals. It could be this thats worsened somehow, but a garage said that the heat shield is fine and a breather manifold needs changed.

Sounds daft but sit on your engine while someone reeves it to see if it still makes the sound

Sounds daft but sit on your engine while someone reeves it to see if it still makes the sound

If you do don't wear any clothing with loose / hanging fabric that could get caught in belts / fan motor. Better to get two people to press down on it if you can.

There could be a small cover on the back of the engine on the flywheel casing at about 2 o'clock if viewed from nearside/passenger front wheel that covers an inspection hole for the flywheel

I say could as I'm not familiar with the engine but it happened on mine when changed the clutch & flywheel, the small cover plate must have been slightly bent going back on and it was catching when engine was hot...

You'll need the under tray off to gain access underneath