My latest addition to the fold: s4 saloon

adamss24

Reaction score
As per title, my latest addition to the fold, 370 Bhp worth of mighty v8 engine ! Gave it a full service today...

Reactions: AlexGSi2000, DieselJake and SmoothAssault
Nice looking car, has it had a headlight change? I thought all S4's had grey innards,
Could be wrong though!!

Yes, for some reason i was not a fan of the grey headlights and fitted some i had on another car- still HID though...Still a lovely drive and engine to die for but- i am not being funny- it feels flat and my diesel will give it a good run for the money ! Also 10 Mpg on a spirited run is shocking, the a6 avant tdi quattro returns 35 Mpg driven the same !
I will fit some 20" s8 alloys and drop it on some Eibach Pro dampers and lowering springs then i will put it up for sale, as much as i like it it's just not practical enough for me and i have too many runabouts !
I do like the spec though, electric everything, heated seats, recaro's, parking sensors,etc. Still missing the armrest though it's easy to fix !

Jhm remap, milltek downpipes, cat delete, k&n cone filter, stronger clutch and a few more odds and sods...

Did you put the map on this Chris? My old man has an S8 and has over the years considered mapping it but then hesitated due to the small gains ~ 10bhp?

Obviously without the cats then add another couple of ponies.

He has a (Standard cats) cat-back custom system on, sound sweet.

But would a map make that much difference for him? He does occasionally drive it hard and especially when i'm driving it it gets a bit of welly....purely for the sound mind! :)

Dan

geoff you can actually get more than this

the biggest restriction is the downpipes themselves and the pre cats
simply deleting the pre cats and opening up the downpipe makes a massive differance
if your looking at getting more grunt from the big v8 then this is the way to go

chris has the rest of the exhaust system been changed or is it simply the downpipes ? cant quite see from pictures
the k&n cone filter wont be doing it any good in fact itll pretty much guarentee its working against the rest of the improvements
the cone is bang above the secondary radiator so the intake sucks in warm air

simply deleting the pre cats and opening up the downpipe makes a massive differance
if your looking at getting more grunt from the big v8 then this is the way to go

chris has the rest of the exhaust system been changed or is it simply the downpipes ? cant quite see from pictures
the k&n cone filter wont be doing it any good in fact itll pretty much guarentee its working against the rest of the improvements

Downpipes are milltek and the cats were removed. Original cat back exhaust. The cone filter was fitted by the previous owner, i have a new airbox to go on but i am missing the breather take off hose- need to order that asap. Car is an animal, very, very fast but it likes a drink- managed to do a full tank in 160 miles- only took 2 days ! I am in a dilemma, whilst being able to work on it and afford it, i might sell it and sink a grand on my diesel to get it to similar levels but i know it will never sound or handle like that v8 s4 does ! My v6 tdi is so close to it it makes choosing rather difficult, however i d love the level of kit in this s4, electric everything, cruise, heated recaro seats, nice, sorted suspension, low mileage, etc.

Cheers for the info,

DOyou mean delete them totally (remove) or strip out the insides? I have seen a how-to somewhere where they show you how to drill out the pre-cat guts allowing better gas flow, is this what you are talkign about and is it worth the effort?

thats the pre cats geoff
but yes thats where the restriction is ... i have mine done and it makes a significant differance
the only problem is when you do it you will need some way of either deleting the pre cat part of the ecu program or bypassing it to think its still working

it is possible to remove the main cats but of course the car would not be street legal then

with the correct bits and correct tune these will tune to over 400bhp without a problem

if you can find a second hand cat back milltek exhaust chris try that as that will help it breath better also
be carefull of the non resonated version though as on motorways it drones like a son of a ***** and makes the journey unpleasant

Thanks for the tip, however i find milltek stuff rather overpriced and kinda low quality for the asking price, i have a better built exhaust system on the v6 tdi for 1/2 the price of a similar "off the shelf" exhaust system ! Whilst not a cheapskate, i do like to shop around and get the best value for money... I will keep looking for bits to tune up the car, i like the car just cannot drive it sensibly !