Cleaned My Engine Bay

sabaxter

Reaction score
Had a go at cleaning my engine bay today and I must say it turned out well!!

I used GUNK degreaser and Meguiars engine cleaner and agitated with a paintbrush and rinsed lightly with water. I then used Fenwicks cleaner and sprayed everywhere then wiped with a microfiber cloth. I did my usual trick of applying wd40 to moving components to provide some lubrication and extra protection against the elements.
DSC 0015 zps468cc669
DSC 0016 zps733d27ed

Once rinsed I started the car to allow the heat to dry the majority of the components. I gave the plastics a rince and a clean with wash and wax and used Meguiars plastic protector to give a nice sheen. Took me about a hour and im well impressed with the results.

Cheers, Shaun.

Reactions: Sandra
It's fair to sat the engine is cleaner than the rest of the car!

Looking good! As long as you cover up any electrics and air intakes and don't use too much pressure with the water you'll be fine! :)

Thank you for the comments. I'm going to start cleaning the engine and bay more often, with the car getting older and more miles if I'm unlucky and spring any leaks it will be easier to spot and also it stops crap jamming up moving parts.

you should never need to use a jet wash on your engine. If you take your time with a brush and agitate the grime using gunk or a similar product you will be fine. When you are rinsing use a hose on a shower function and liberally apply. Don't focus on one spot for more than a few seconds. Just pass over the bay a few times until suds have gone and fire her up to dry some parts.

do not out start your engine whilst your in there or you will be waving goodbye to your fingers! People only start the engine when steam cleaning and this is more likely to damage electrics. Hope this helps.

regards shaun