OEM Thermostat

Reaction score
Can someone tell me which manufacturer makes the oem thermostat please?
Ecp have a bit of a discount weekend thing going on and a Circoli thermostat for my 1.9 tdi is only £3-46.

Thanks, Mark.

sorry but i would buy from audi/vw i fitted a euro car part stat few years ago my car ran cold most of them time drank fuel quicker fitted new gen stat and all was good again costs a bit more but saved that in fuel

Agreed, they're not that expensive and it's not worth the saving.

Reactions: GeoffDunk
I put a new genuine stat in mine before Christmas and it's failed already, so I've bought a Meyle one to fit from Murrys direct.

I should have just got one of these first as I had the same thing happen in my bora. I never had any trouble with the Meyle one I fitted to the bora.

I put a new genuine stat in mine before Christmas and it's failed already, so I've bought a Meyle one to fit from Murrys direct.

I should have just got one of these first as I had the same thing happen in my bora. I never had any trouble with the Meyle one I fitted to the bora.

If you brought it from Audi they are guaranteed for 2years or they will replace it

I've also had problems with aftermarket stats, all the genuine Audi stats I've fitted over the last 15 years have been fine, I normally change them every time I do the timing belt on the car along with the water pump..

If you brought it from Audi they are guaranteed for 2years or they will replace it

Yes they are, but Audi want the stat back to test, so how do you run your car without a stat while they test it?

I always use dealer parts on my cars, but this is one thing I don't see the need to.

Thanks guys, I bought the Circoli thermostat from ecp. It's a 10 minute job to change on the 1.9tdi so if I find it's u/s no drama and I've lost £3-46!

How much is a genuine part and who manufacturers them?

Thanks, Mark.

Yes they are, but Audi want the stat back to test, so how do you run your car without a stat while they test it?

I always use dealer parts on my cars, but this is one thing I don't see the need to.

To be fair, it's best to keep an old one that sticks open at least you can run the car and it won't overheat.

For stuff like stats, I go to Audi. Mine was £30 for my car (A3), which is worth the extra over pattern parts IMO.

Why cant you run without a stat?ECP stats are a con.One lasted a few days in my sons S£ and its not a quick job and loses a lot of coolant.Their complaints dept are useless

You can, but it's not ideal. As I say I will only use genuine parts on my cars, but after my two bad experiences with VW/Audi stats I won't use them any more.
I wouldn't buy an unbranded one from ECP etc, the one I have bought is Meyle which is an OE spec suplyer, like the Lemforder bottom arms I used recently it's just missing the 4 rings. I used one of these in the bora with no issues after my genuine one failed within a month. I have just had a genuine one fail again after 3 months, so I have decided to get a Meyle one instead. I think it was about £12 delivered with the seal.

They are so simple I just don't see why they fail unless its a plan to get us to keep buying and giving work to others by non DIYers