Splitting Headlights on A4 B6 Saloon

crazyjay91

If in Doubt, FLAT OUT!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone ever split the headlights? I had them out and tried to usual heating and prying open at the joining edge but the adhesive sealant doesn't seem to be melting and giving in! I really want to do the internal chrome part black.. I've done it on all my previous cars but this one seems to be a right biatch!

Before anyone else suggests, I already have fly-eye on the lenses but for me it blocks out too much light.. I'd rather have a more subtle look.

I've been using a heat gun.. I tried the oven trick once when I had my first car and completely melted the whole lamp - OOOPS! I may have to try the oven trick again but on the lowest lowest setting lol

I used the oven. 10 min in then work on headlight for 5 then back in again and keep repeating

Slow and steady

Reactions: crazyjay91
You're definitely not alone, the B6 lights are notoriously difficult to split open.

I used a heat gun to do mine but it literally took HOURS, prying away at it a little at a time. I was too scared I'd melt the whole thing leaving it in the oven. Got there in the end.

Don't laugh but usually its about gas mark 2/3 for 10-20 mins to split most headlights.

It is hard to damage them but go careful as some of the plastic especially the mounting tabs may become slightly more pliable.

I was guna use a die cutter and re glue.
But I've given up on the heat and pry apart method lol

Don't laugh but usually its about gas mark 2/3 for 10-20 mins to split most headlights.

It is hard to damage them but go careful as some of the plastic especially the mounting tabs may become slightly more pliable.

This post has made my day. haha absolutely brilliant - thanks Gavin0478!

I'm going to get everything off tomorrow night and attempt the oven.. probably checking every 60 seconds incase it starts to take a wrong turn! Will do that and use the heatgun again.. I WILL get there in the end! Thanks guys!! :)

I saw a channel on YouTube who gets a cardboard box and cuts a hole big enough for a heat gun put the headlight in with the lid closed then takes it out after a few mins. IMO probably a safer option than a oven.

These guys are the ones on youtube with the cardboard box mentioned by YSN above:

Audi A4 B6 Bi-xenon MH1 - Retroquick Kits

Have a search on youtube for them, the HD video they have done for a 'B6 cluster how to' gives loads of useful info for taking the lights apart for fitting a Bi-Xenon module for the headlight.

Good luck,
Rob

Last edited:
Be careful... I left mine in the oven too long and damaged the while mechanism that controls headlight adjustment... MOT fail. Such a shame as they look great when Joey'd!

I've never used the ovan method, but I'm sure when I was looking to do the lights on the Bora people who did use the ovan said to remove all inner parts of the light, such as motors.

cant you just put a new motor in?

It wasn't the motor (I removed that!) it was the in-built white plastic things for fine tuning the lights up/down or left/right.

I get you now the manual setting screws, I thought you meant the motor.

I know you could buy metal replacements for these for the Mk4, so it might be worth looking into as it may be cheaper than replacing both lights. People would use them mainly on the Xenons as they were astronomical to replace on the Mk4.

Yeah, I remember reading those threads about the MkIVs (I used to own a Bora-fronted Golf!)
I had a quick look on ETKA when I had the initial robs but couldn't see any replacements available.

Not toyed with my Avant headlights yet.

But I did quite a lot to my MK4 golf FK angel eye headlights. I upgraded the angel eye rings to CCFL lighting then painted the internals black and white.

Looking back at my guide I baked my headlight for 2m20s at 150C in a fan oven. At that time you could see the edges of the tabs starting to go soft, this was plenty to pull the headlight apart though. I removed all bits and bobs possible.

Managed to split them today and spray the inside black.. A tip to anyone planning on doing this.. Don't do it. Lol
Did the box method and the sealant didnt melt at all.. The plastic went soft around the edge so I ended up bending it out all the way round.. When putting back together I used more sealant and melted the plastic back to the correct position.. Looks really good but an absolute nightmare! Will post a pic of the final product :)