Engine problems.

Oggy-s3

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Pretty sure my turbo just gone.. Cruising along at about 50 and then slowed down for a roundabout tryed to pick up the speed and nothing. No boost or anything. :( When the car gets to about 3k revs it just judders a little and doesn't pick up speed. Anything i can check before it goes to the garage on monday morning?

The car is a Audi s3 2007 with just 42k miles.

thanks guys! :3sadwalk:

Hi. When you say it judders at 3k RPM, will it rev over 3k ? or just stay there and judder. If so, then It sounds like the ECU is in Limp Mode. I would get it on a tester to see if there are any codes stored to indicate what part mate it go in Limp Mode.
Any simple OBD scanner can read generic codes, even if you use the likes of Torque app and an bluetooth OBD plug. These might not give the same amount of detail about found codes, but it still displays them if they are there. The app is around £2 and the plug about £7-£10.

HTH

Hi. When you say it judders at 3k RPM, will it rev over 3k ? or just stay there and judder. If so, then It sounds like the ECU is in Limp Mode. I would get it on a tester to see if there are any codes stored to indicate what part mate it go in Limp Mode.
Any simple OBD scanner can read generic codes, even if you use the likes of Torque app and an bluetooth OBD plug. These might not give the same amount of detail about found codes, but it still displays them if they are there. The app is around £2 and the plug about £7-£10.

HTH

Hi thanks got the reply. The car goes over 3k rev's. But it's just very flat! There has been no engine light or anything came up on te dash.

It does sound like the turbo then, but cant really say. I would still try to read the codes, in my experience, if the EML is not on, it doesn't mean there are no faults. Might be something like an actuator, or boost solenoid, etc. 42k is low mileage for a turbo to go. You'd notice white or blue smoke from the tailpipe when the turbo starts to go.

Just took the car around the block, The car will judder when it gets to about 3k but it will go over 3k. The engine emission light's just came on too.. The car's going in on monday. :/

Have you checked all hoses are securely connected that relate to the turbo.

A mate thought his turbo turned cactus on his golf R, same sort of prob. Changed intercooler and that solved the problem. Hope it's not the turbo as it shouldn't be as that much on the clock.

Get it on a scanner before it goes in to know what to expect. might be an easy fix to do on a Saturday afternoon. There must be a member close to you with vag-com or some sort of scanner that would be willing to come around and scan for a couple of pints!

When my S3 8L did the same as what you're suggesting the Turbo Intake Pipe popped off the turbo.
Just glancing at it didn't show the problem, the clip to tighten it was loose causing the TIP to not be fastened securely.

I would double check all pipe work from intake, intercooler, turbo and exhaust by trying to pull it off to confirm its tight.

Thanks for the suggestion guys! I'll have to have a closer look tomorrow! When i think back there was a funny nose at about 2300k rev's. Cant even explain the nose! It was weird. Didn't think anything of it though, Thought it might of been the wind.

Just wondering aswell guys. Where abouts is the diverter valve?

Thanks for the suggestions also! Ill keep you all updated after iv had a look tomorrow!

Oops! turns out it is mounted differently on the S3

Its mounted on the turbo, access it from underneath. It has three 5mm hex bolts, the top one is a major pain in the ****.

Last edited:
Its mounted on the turbo, access it from underneath. It has three 5mm hex bolts, the top one is a major pain in the ****.

Not on an S3 it isn't, 4 torx bolts and it's off. Located just behind the radiator and left of the intake pipe.

Reactions: Oggy-s3
Just been to have a closer look and I removed the engine cover etc and I couldn't see anything. So loose pipes and the diverter valves looks all intact.

Now I removed the maf sensor and there was no change in idle. No drop in revs etc.

I would have immediately thought about loose pipes / boost leak as well. Would be very shocked at a turbo going with all the miles you have done! Keep us updated mate. But Im thinking it will be a simple fix for you :thumbsup:

Cheers trev! I'm not as worried as i first was when it happened! The car's booked in to Falcon Performance over at skippers lane, Middlesbrough on monday, I'm pretty pally with them so i think if it's something simple they wont screw me on it!

Reactions: s3_trev
I had a similar problem where I couldn't drive above 3k revs in any gear as a bad misfire had the car juddering. Had one of the injectors replaced and that cured the problem.

The fault code shown was a misfire on cylinder 3 but swapping coil packs and plugs round didn't move the problem to another cylinder. I had new plugs and coil packs but it was the injector change that cured it.

I had a similar problem where I couldn't drive above 3k revs in any gear as a bad misfire had the car juddering. Had one of the injectors replaced and that cured the problem.

The fault code shown was a misfire on cylinder 3 but swapping coil packs and plugs round didn't move the problem to another cylinder. I had new plugs and coil packs but it was the injector change that cured it.

Had a similar problem not long ago! I had misfire in Cylinder 4 and it was the injector. But i didnt feel as bad as this.

Well, I've had two injectors go as well, the first was very noticeable as described above the second I was driving the car for 2 months just thinking it was rough with cold starts but the wife kept telling me my car sounded different so it went to AMD, they tried the plugs/coils again but no cure so changed the injector and the problem went away.

Same problem but one was way worse than the other

Well the car has been dropped off at the garage my mate sent this. Said hopefully have a update later!

1782004_10152213005725505_1262524312_n.jpg

Reactions: Hoesty
Had a similar problem not long ago! I had misfire in Cylinder 4 and it was the injector. But i didnt feel as bad as this.

I have a misfire on idle, suspected injector, do you remember how much an injector is roughly?

Noo still not update. Which to me is bad sounds like its gonna be bad news. :banghead:

Have they checked the diverter valve yet?
An 07 will have the old C type on which do fail pretty often.
Only a 10 minute job to replace and a new G valve is about £40 or a D is about £60

Only a 10 minute job to replace and a new G valve is about £40 or a D is about £60

No mate i didnt have chance! Just put it straight in the garage!

ye mine fell apart when i took it out lol

Yeah but have the garage checked it?
May save you a fortune on labour that's all.

Aye that's true mate. I know the garage pretty well. Family and i use them very often. Hopefully wont be too steep! Thanks for the heads up.

Oggy sorry to hear this fella but as above i'm sure it will be something simple it normally always is fella!

Keep us updated!!!!!!!

Reactions: Oggy-s3