New S4 V8 B6 owner

obviously the longer you leave it and the worse the chain rattle is the more wear you will have on the guides themselves
some owners report no chain rattle on start up ...so no worries .... others report it lasting 2-3 seconds which is a little longer than i would want to be honest
but even the examples with 130,000-150,000 on the states are still going strong after 18 months since fitting systems there has not been a chain guide failure on any of the cars fitted with the system

if your looking to increase the longevity of your engine this to me will do nothing apart from help

Mind rattled for less than a second at 40k miles, and 55k miles later and 7 years later when I sold it at 95k, it still only rattled for less than a second.
Sometimes it did it when hot from start up and sometimes it didn't do it when cold. Unpredictable, that's for sure.
A pump would certainly help, no harm in getting one fitted like you say.

The only thing which was predictable was the fuel and oil consumption. It liked both, that's for sure. (oil consumption got considerably worse over the last 18 months of ownership though)

again matt
really difficult to predict ... some owners have had cars which require constant checks and filling with oil ... some like mine never seem to want topping up
might be a good idea for prospective buyers to ask the owners if the car uses oil

ive also never had chain rattle when the car was allready warm .... only at start up and generally the colder it is the worse it is
but since fitting the system ... NOTHING

Dualmono i know we have spoken about this rattle before. Can you just confirm whether the chain on my A4 Special edition is used for the same function as what the S4 chain does? I personally have not a damn clue what the chain is for on my car lmao. so dont know whether you will know or not tbh :)

the engine in your 2.0t is completely different to that of an s4 it has more in common with the excellant 1.8t bam engine from the older tt and seat leon cupra r
it has the same function , but there are little if at any similarities between these two engines

that said if other owners start to notice similar problems on different engines there is nothing to stop them retro fitting the system to help out
the systems were originally designed with motorsport in mind when older engines tended to suffer with oil surge or starvation when heavy cornering
the system realises there is a drop in oil pressure and reacts by releasing the resorvoir of oil stored to stop the engine from being damaged
in the s4,s case the discharge of the reservoir is being used before the engine is started

yup, I know the engines different in many ways but I did just wonder if the chain on mind did the same thing. Mine is a very quick rattle or even scrape describes it better and doesnt sound any different afterwards or when engine is warm so i shant worry for now. Cheers

again matt
really difficult to predict ... some owners have had cars which require constant checks and filling with oil ... some like mine never seem to want topping up
might be a good idea for prospective buyers to ask the owners if the car uses oil

ive also never had chain rattle when the car was allready warm .... only at start up and generally the colder it is the worse it is
but since fitting the system ... NOTHING

Any pics of the setup

only pics i have at moment is of the equipment itself laid out on a bench im afraid
i will get round to doing a guide soon enough

Hello and welcome localknoxville. nice looking S4 you have there.

Looks very good.

Although interesting point, mine does not have the rear Quattro badge or the side badges on the rear doors.

I have a front and rear S4 badge and the V8 badges over each side repeater, mines a 53 plate.

GeoffDunk, neither the rear quattro badge nor the side badges on the rear doors were standard/factory fit on the S4's.

Does gearbox oil change apply to tiptronic too?

Yes

Audi UK insist there is no need to replace the oil but Audi US say every 60K. My very experienced mechanic was shocked by the "no need" attitude from Audi UK so he did some research.

Also, oils are different, auto/tiptronic uses different oil to diff and manual g/box.