Dash computer isn't working

dirtychinchilla

Reaction score
Morning all,

I have a 2003 A3 8L MK1. It has the usual dash display, which shows when the service is due and does the oil check etc, but there's a screen above, which I thought would show MPG and various other bits. I did read in the manual that if I had the onboard computer I should have a button on the left hand stalk, but I don't have this.

Having said that, I was looking at it this morning and though, why the hell have the left the screen in if there's no possibility for display...so should it be showing something or is it just there to disappoint me?!

Thanks guys,

dirtychinchilla

right hand stalk on 2003 s3 on the bottom of the stalk. oval button on side to reset the displays.... the other side blanks out the display.

mark

I just went out and had a look and I have no dial and can't get a single thing to display on the screen (open doors etc). It probably is model dependant, but it's like they have left it there to taunt you!!

I would be very surprised if the dis doesn't work,the right hand stalk has the button on the end to scroll through with a reset button below as said.
btw its not a mk1 :ninja: its the last of the 8L

Hah if it's not the MK1 then what do you call it? Apart from the last of the 8L :p

It doesn't do anything at all - but then again, I don't have the button on the stalk...

No if your stalk has the buttons now to change the screen mode that would work fine with a full display dash.

http://bit.ly/1jW8ZM6 could I use this dash and buy the stalk, perhaps? I might be making the mistake of assuming you just need the right screen and stalk.

What I really can't comprehend is why they've left the screen in, despite the fact that it does nothing.

There is somewhere, i used it, try searching Danio for his posts and threads as when i did this he helped me a lot being I was relatively new to this sort of thing at the time.

Very good, I've had a brief look but am on tapatalk so I'll have a better look tomorrow. If you happen to remember where it is, I'd appreciate it :D

Maybe @udi A3 is down your way sometime and can sort it.

Certainly seems to know his stuff

I live in hope.

To be honest, I think it's something I can do myself relatively easily, I could just do with some guidance - and I need to know what to buy.

My dash currently looks like this:

3d08406b-96b8-417f-a1e5-c9991f6a0fd1_zps5e36841e.jpg

The top screen above the open door thing never turns on.

Yep mine was the same. Im finishing my day in bromley on saturday, i do have a couple of stalks i think, but finding the right dash is the tough one, took me forever to get a desel one for mine.