SD card won't recognise.

BigGreg

Reaction score
So trying to work out best way to play tunes, got an iPod cable for the connector in the glove box, all good. But for the life of me I can't get it to see the SD card, when slotted in it just says empty. Even though I have loaded with MP3's. Everything else seems to woe fine with the system.

As the vast amount of my iTunes library are .m4a files, when I make a mp3 copy in iTunes, is this all I need? I dragged and dropped on to the SD card (Using and IMac)?

Any help appreciated.

Check the formatting, it's probably NTFS/EXT.

Remember that some sat nav units need it to be formatted in FAT32, NOT FATx... just Google on how to do it from a command console, I've done it before on Win7, but usually just use a Linux netbook to format my SD cards, so should be a doddle on a Mac.

After that, try some different brands (borrow one from a camera, etc)... check for different formats, etc and probably worth trying a 2Gb or smaller SD card (not SDHC), just to be safe, but this should not be an issue on a B8 generation card reader.

After that, verify the files in another device (PC) and make sure that iTunes hasn't trashed the music somehow... I ended up binning the music I had bought on iTunes and bought the CD's, so now it's all on Google music, so it just lets me re-download my entire collection (including the CD's that I've linked to my account) and that is straight onto any of 10 devices and it's automatically in a universal MP3 format, not a special request...

Last edited:
Reactions: BigGreg
On my 2008 B8 the card has to be an SD card not SDHC . The biggest card you can get in SD type is 4GB which is plenty for me.

Platinum 4GB SD Card for cameras, camcorders, UK seller, VAT invoice 4027927771062 | eBay

Karl.

That's mad! the SEAT Exeo 2008 Sat Nav takes 32Gb SDHC! That said, the SEAT Leon gets DAB as standard on most models wher ethe equivalent Audi is left with is as an optional extra... if only they did the 3.0TFSI engine and proper quattro in the SEAT's :)

I do feel your pain the RNS-E (retrofit) that I had in my 2001 A4 suffered the same:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/car-entertainment/155634-found-4gb-sd-cards-rnse-£4-99-a.html

Just a shame that I doubt you'd find any that cheap again!

edit: looks like they're still in stock for that price!

Last edited:
I do feel the Audi MMI is kinda poo compared to my 10 year old after market Kenwood DNX8220bt which cost less.

Seems like they didn't put any thought into it, and couldn't be bothered to work out the bugs.

They probably paid some fresh graduates peanuts to do the programming.
You pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

I guess I'll have to live with what I got :(

The MMI "touch" offering in the A6 is a pretty awesome, but it's an Android based system that aside from some legacy controls seems to be worlds apart from the ropey old RNS-E that I used to have...

So trying to work out best way to play tunes, got an iPod cable for the connector in the glove box, all good. But for the life of me I can't get it to see the SD card, when slotted in it just says empty. Even though I have loaded with MP3's. Everything else seems to woe fine with the system.

As the vast amount of my iTunes library are .m4a files, when I make a mp3 copy in iTunes, is this all I need? I dragged and dropped on to the SD card (Using and IMac)?

Any help appreciated.

Hi Greg,

This is from the Audi Tech pages :-

sd memory card > Technical Questions: MMI > Audi Questions and Answers > Crosby Audi - 866.403.2834

MMI 3G: the max size for SD media can be 32GB.
MMI 2G: check if your vehicle is equipped with an SD card slot
Radio Symphony: SD or MMC memory cards with a capacity up to 4 GB.
Radio Concert: does not come equipped with SD card readers.
RNS-E (MY 2010): the max size for SD media can be 32GB.
RNS-E (MY 2009 and older): 256mb is the max SD card size.

Looks like you have a 4 gig limit on the card size ??

And these are the file types :-

MMI 3G: MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3, MPEG-2 Layer 3), WMA files (Version 7, 8, 9), and AAC files (MPEG-4)
MMI Radio Plus: MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3, MPEG-2 Layer 3), WMA files (Version 7, 8, 9)
Radio Symphony: M3U, PLS, ASX, and WPL
Radio Concert: M3U, PLS, ASX, and WPL

Hi Greg,

This is from the Audi Tech pages :-

sd memory card > Technical Questions: MMI > Audi Questions and Answers > Crosby Audi - 866.403.2834

MMI 3G: the max size for SD media can be 32GB.
MMI 2G: check if your vehicle is equipped with an SD card slot
Radio Symphony: SD or MMC memory cards with a capacity up to 4 GB.
Radio Concert: does not come equipped with SD card readers.
RNS-E (MY 2010): the max size for SD media can be 32GB.
RNS-E (MY 2009 and older): 256mb is the max SD card size.

Looks like you have a 4 gig limit on the card size ??

And these are the file types :-

MMI 3G: MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3, MPEG-2 Layer 3), WMA files (Version 7, 8, 9), and AAC files (MPEG-4)
MMI Radio Plus: MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3, MPEG-2 Layer 3), WMA files (Version 7, 8, 9)
Radio Symphony: M3U, PLS, ASX, and WPL
Radio Concert: M3U, PLS, ASX, and WPL

Ordered a non HC version, 4GB the 32GB SDHC obi did not cut it. Think I should be good now. What a faff!!!

It did some searching on this when i bought our car a couple of weeks ago. If your software version is something like 201 or 2.01 it will only take standard sd cards. You can get a software upgrade at Audi, for which they will charge an hours labour, but the stereo will then accept up to 32GB high capacity cards. If i can find the workshop reference again later i will post it. I just got a standard 4GB card and seeing how I get on. The software upgrade did say it fix some radio reception issues too.

I have a 32GB SDHC installed in my 2010 A4 Non-Nav and it works 100% great job! :)