Possible Brake Servo

WillHarris2306

Reaction score
My 2008 A3 1.8T FSI 160 has started developed a hissing noise from the footwell when engine running and not braking (i.e. goes away when you depress the brake pedal). Brakes still feel ok. Sometimes very slightly lumpy on idle but generally it's smooth.

Tried to get as much info from the forum as i possible and the general consensus seems to be these symptoms indicate either servo or vacuum hose failing / split. If servo i'm reading horror stories of it being a big (6-10 hours) job as it's so hard to access and some members are saying it involves dropping the engine or at least loosening the mountings etc!! However i'm also hearing this from mainly S3 or Diesel owners so i'm wondering if the same applies to the humble 1.8T FSI?

I'm going to have a close look at the hose today and i'm hoping it's only that, but generally my luck's not that good. Any advice would be much appreciated but it sounds like it has servo written all over it.

P.s. forgot to mention (although it's a long shot) the car does have cruise control which i read on a US VAG forum strangely can create this noise as the system is somehow interconnected via a vacuum hose so it deactivates when you brake. May be b*****ks but just thought i'd mention it.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, thought it wouldn't be the case.

Diagnostic at local indy says early signs of servo failing. Quoted £500 which to be fair doesn't seem too bad given what the S3 owners have been experiencing.

Thanks mate, thought it wouldn't be the case.

Diagnostic at local indy says early signs of servo failing. Quoted £500 which to be fair doesn't seem too bad given what the S3 owners have been experiencing.

Hey mate,

I drive a S3 2007 plate, and i too have the exact problem!
Ive sort of got used to the noise now but when its quiet no music it does get quite annoying :/
If you manage to find the problem please let me know, i got quoted around £800 for labour and new servo from a random garage i was passing by in Cardiff. Probably will price up at my local tuner instead.

Cheers
Will

Hi mate,

Yeah pain in the **** isn't it? The tech i spoke to today at my local indy reckons it's about 5-6 hours work on mine + parts + fluid. He checked all the minor things like split vacuum hoses first but said definitely servo. He says he hates doing them as it's such a nasty job as the servo's pretty inaccessible. They sometimes drop the engine of it's mountings as it makes it easier to get to. £800 for just labour sounds steep mate but maybe it's different on an S3. As i said mine is £500 all in.

Mine's very early stages but i will get it done asap.

Last edited:
I know mate, ill price up at Audi and also my local tuner hopefully the price will be cheaper. I recently had my clutch replaced along with flywheel that was £300 in labour so hopefully the servo will be around that figure.

Mines been hissing for over a year now, still brakes fine that's why I haven't really fixed it, although my main reason is funding lol.

When you get yours fixed let me know more info please :D

Sorry to ask so many questions but I am in the same boat as you

Cheers buddy
Will

Yeah no worries i'll let you know.

Tell me about it i'm skint at the moment so could do without it :/ I know it's brakes and safety etc. but he said it's very early stages and they feel fine at the moment (to be honest if it weren't for the noise which i'd thought i'd better get checked out you'd never know in my case).

I forgot to mention he also said long term the engine may start to get a bit lumpy as it gets worse as the air leakage will unbalance the mixture etc but it has to be pretty bad to do that.

Best of luck with yours mate.

Cheers buddy, if I do get it repaired in the future before you, I'll update too :)

Best of luck to yourself aswell mate
Thanks again

Will