a3 saloon

Focusy

Reaction score
I see from the chats and post on here that a lot of you discuss the a3 and the sportback, but not many on the saloon.

why is that? do you think the saloon, not as good?

Absolutely love the saloon and the only thing stopping me from ordering one was the practicality of the Sportback with the children, otherwise my order would have been a saloon.

I see from the chats and post on here that a lot of you discuss the a3 and the sportback, but not many on the saloon.

why is that? do you think the saloon, not as good?

Probably because the Sportsback has been out for nearly a year, while the saloon or what we call the sedan here in Australia, it's only been released just over a month, and the S3 saloon hasn't even been released here.

Pick up my Saloon on Friday and can't wait! I think the low volume of 'chat' on the car is just an indication that small saloons aren't, and have never really been, that popular in the UK and most traffic on here is probably UK based.

When I first announced I was getting the saloon to friends and people at work their default response was 'oh...an A3 with a boot' which again probably reflects the lack of exposure we have to cars like this (Jetta/Bora never did well here).

I don't look at it that way. To me it's a small A4, which better matches my needs as whilst I have kids they are 10 and 9 and travel light (Nintendo 3DS...thats it!) and the majority of the time it's just me commuting to work.

So I've no need for the 'versatility' of the SB or the size of the A4. A3 Saloon = perfect fit!

Reactions: Jscribe
Agree with the above but to add, if you wish to be different, unique and exclusive then buy a saloon - the best looking car in the A3 range in my opinion...

Reactions: Jscribe
pick mine up tomorrow

Reactions: cuke2u
Agree with the above but to add, if you wish to be different, unique and exclusive then buy a saloon - the best looking car in the A3 range in my opinion...
... one of the best looking cars from Audi in my opinion. Will be interesting to see the new A4. Though it is getting quite big.

Reactions: Rexus and cuke2u
I think as above the UK is a nation that traditionally prefers a hatchback and it is more practical in most cases. That said, I don't have kids, a dog, skis or golf clubs so the saloon was an easy choice for me.

Love the lines on my Saloon.

I bought a 3 month old A3 Saloon 2.0tdi S-line from a London dealer, replacing a 2005 A3 2.0tdi 3 door sport. They drove it up to Scotland and it’s in perfect condition.
I loved my old A3, never had any major issues, clogged up rear screen wiper every few years, that’s about the height of it. There will be a need come summer for 4-5 doors as we have our first child.
Firstly, I loved the new A3 style, the interior is such a nice place to spend time (that sounds odd even admitting that, but its true). I had planned to move to the sportback, but decided to test a few cars taking on friends experience with kids…
So I tested the Volvo V60 est, Nissan Cashquai, VW Passat estate, Audi A4, Audi A4 avant, Audi A5 spotback, A3, sportback and the A3 saloon.
So why the Saloon, first up, it’s a stunner, I think it’s one of the best looking Audis available at the moment, no doubt the new A4/5/6/TT will all supersede this, but for now, I think it wins this prise.
The A5 was actually a 4 seater, the Volvo…nice…needed to buy 2014 model to match A3 gadgets, Nissan – what car of the year, I was disappointed, I know the interiors will never match Audi, but the brakes did not seem responsive at the least. So it looked like a faceoff between the A3 sportback and the A4 avant, until I opened the A3 saloons boot. Yes it is less practical from an access point of view, but it’s a deep boot, not far off the A4 sportback floor coverage which surprised me.
So it was between the A4 avant and the A3 saloon. Reading many owners reviews, many criticised the A4’s economy, offset pedals…driving I have to say was very comfortable, plenty of room, slightly aged dashboard, but then it is, plus when the new one comes out next year, I know it would torment me:keule:

A3 seems so much more responsive, brakes..superb and the minimalist dash, a beaut.
I may regret not going for the estate but the pram fits, and it’s plenty for 2 and a nipper.

So anyway, back to the original question…

It’s a beautiful drive, very economical; I was averaging 55mpg travelling at 70mph (>).
In the morning when it’s slightly colder, I get up to 44mpg within 10 mins (journey to work is short).
Acceleration is nipy, especially 2nd gear, great for taking off, I wasn’t bothered about the 185hp version, 150 is plenty for me and Quattro…winter tyres will do for all the snow we ever see.
It will get it’s first 2 bucket handwash/wax this weekend!
It is slightly wider, already nicked the passenger alloy (£70 to fix that….:( ) but after 2 weeks the width is feeling natural. The headlights are seriously bright, sport suspension feels great, I am used to it from old car, so don’t know any different. I went for the Audi music system, decent compared to my old Bose, can’t notice too much difference. I have the SD card navi and its great, love the direction panel between the speedo and rev counter. The only thing that took a wee bit of getting used to was the E brake, works a treat, just still don’t know if I trust it  The boot opens with the key fob..handy. Autodim rear view mirror is probably favourite current gadget. I am getting looks as well, not too many of these on the road yet, the angry looking led eyebrows do raise an eye. Any questions, fire ahead, I’m one very happy customer.:arco:

Reactions: jbs2472 and BGS
Well, I guess you like it then! I have the 1.4COD Saloon, and agree with most of what you say. The only thing I would improve would be the sometimes high level of road noise. I have the Dunlop Sportmaxx tyres, which are supposedly one of the quietest types, with 17" wheels and standard suspension, so as quiet a set-up as you can have. Most of the time noise is low but occasionally it seems too intrusive. I believe that road noise is an issue across the A3 range, not just the Saloon.

Not sure about that, still think the hatchback is the best looking and the Sportback is second. I personally find the back of the Saloon very ugly, but each to their own.

I bought a 3 month old A3 Saloon 2.0tdi S-line from a London dealer, replacing a 2005 A3 2.0tdi 3 door sport. They drove it up to Scotland and it’s in perfect condition.
I loved my old A3, never had any major issues, clogged up rear screen wiper every few years, that’s about the height of it. There will be a need come summer for 4-5 doors as we have our first child.
Firstly, I loved the new A3 style, the interior is such a nice place to spend time (that sounds odd even admitting that, but its true). I had planned to move to the sportback, but decided to test a few cars taking on friends experience with kids…
So I tested the Volvo V60 est, Nissan Cashquai, VW Passat estate, Audi A4, Audi A4 avant, Audi A5 spotback, A3, sportback and the A3 saloon.
So why the Saloon, first up, it’s a stunner, I think it’s one of the best looking Audis available at the moment, no doubt the new A4/5/6/TT will all supersede this, but for now, I think it wins this prise.
The A5 was actually a 4 seater, the Volvo…nice…needed to buy 2014 model to match A3 gadgets, Nissan – what car of the year, I was disappointed, I know the interiors will never match Audi, but the brakes did not seem responsive at the least. So it looked like a faceoff between the A3 sportback and the A4 avant, until I opened the A3 saloons boot. Yes it is less practical from an access point of view, but it’s a deep boot, not far off the A4 sportback floor coverage which surprised me.
So it was between the A4 avant and the A3 saloon. Reading many owners reviews, many criticised the A4’s economy, offset pedals…driving I have to say was very comfortable, plenty of room, slightly aged dashboard, but then it is, plus when the new one comes out next year, I know it would torment me:keule:

A3 seems so much more responsive, brakes..superb and the minimalist dash, a beaut.
I may regret not going for the estate but the pram fits, and it’s plenty for 2 and a nipper.

So anyway, back to the original question…

It’s a beautiful drive, very economical; I was averaging 55mpg travelling at 70mph (>).
In the morning when it’s slightly colder, I get up to 44mpg within 10 mins (journey to work is short).
Acceleration is nipy, especially 2nd gear, great for taking off, I wasn’t bothered about the 185hp version, 150 is plenty for me and Quattro…winter tyres will do for all the snow we ever see.
It will get it’s first 2 bucket handwash/wax this weekend!
It is slightly wider, already nicked the passenger alloy (£70 to fix that….:( ) but after 2 weeks the width is feeling natural. The headlights are seriously bright, sport suspension feels great, I am used to it from old car, so don’t know any different. I went for the Audi music system, decent compared to my old Bose, can’t notice too much difference. I have the SD card navi and its great, love the direction panel between the speedo and rev counter. The only thing that took a wee bit of getting used to was the E brake, works a treat, just still don’t know if I trust it  The boot opens with the key fob..handy. Autodim rear view mirror is probably favourite current gadget. I am getting looks as well, not too many of these on the road yet, the angry looking led eyebrows do raise an eye. Any questions, fire ahead, I’m one very happy customer.:arco:

Is the saloon wider than the Sportback? I do like the look of the front angle view of the Saloon over the Sportback but prefer the back of the Sportback to the Saloon.

Well, I guess you like it then! I have the 1.4COD Saloon, and agree with most of what you say. The only thing I would improve would be the sometimes high level of road noise. I have the Dunlop Sportmaxx tyres, which are supposedly one of the quietest types, with 17" wheels and standard suspension, so as quiet a set-up as you can have. Most of the time noise is low but occasionally it seems too intrusive. I believe that road noise is an issue across the A3 range, not just the Saloon.

I have the 18" and haven't really noticed the noise, usually have the radio around 11-13. I'll try with the radio off, but don't recall it being loud. Maybe once again, what I am used to coming from the old A3 hatch?

Not sure about that, still think the hatchback is the best looking and the Sportback is second. I personally find the back of the Saloon very ugly, but each to their own.

The back is the worst looking off all sides, but the side profile with the boot looks gorgeous, but each to their own :)

The back is the worst looking off all sides, but the side profile with the boot looks gorgeous, but each to their own :)

The A4 has the best looking back between the A3 and itself IMO. If only Audi copied the A4 back for the A3.

Is the saloon wider than the Sportback? I do like the look of the front angle view of the Saloon over the Sportback but prefer the back of the Sportback to the Saloon.

1796*4469 versus 1785*4310 not much wider, but it feels it and if you look at the front beaver tooth, it looks it as well.

I think the S-line spec really completes the saloon look,much more aggressive

Reactions: steviedr and PilotAudi

Actually, I did for about 7 seconds have a whistle the other day, by the time I noticed it and started to try and find the source, it was gone. I would assume this was from the wing mirror.

Haha, each to their own! I find the back the best part of the Saloon, the C pillars look quite Italian-like in design.

Reactions: steviedr
Haha, each to their own! I find the back the best part of the Saloon, the C pillars look quite Italian-like in design.

It looks too much like a BMW 1 series Coupe from the back but a cheaper and uglier version. Might grow on me over time however as the Sportback didn't standout much when I first saw it neither.

I found the problem with the rest of the range was that they resemble the previous 8p too much, thus there was nothing that set them apart. But the saloon is almost a model within its own rights because none of the body panels are the same as the sportback...