Glow Plug System Light Flashing & ESP On Permanently

dirtychinchilla

Reaction score
Morning all,

I've had the faults, as per the thread title, of the glow plug system light flashing, and ESP light permanently on, in my car, which began on Saturday. This has happened before, but it went off after a couple of days. Also, this morning when I got in the car there were no warning lights on, then the ESP one came on after a few minutes, followed by the glow plug system light later.

As far as I can tell, the car is working normally. This thread (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...g-engine-light-flashing-cause-fix-inside.html) says that the car's speed would be limited, but it doesn't appear to be.

Could anybody tell me what I need to do to resolve this? I saw a thread (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/158087-glow-plug-flashing-1-9tdi.html), which say that the glow plug light is the brakes(!!), but I'm sure both errors have a different meaning.

Thanks in advance,

dirtychinchilla

So, if anyone at all is interested, a bit more research showed it was due to the brake light switch. I've bought a new one from Audi for £12.46, so I'm going to try and fit it in the next couple of days. Just have to drive around without brake lights in the mean

1) Remove the bottom panel underneath your dashboard (if needed)
2) Push brake pedal down
3) Remove sensor electrical clip
4) Remove brake light switch by turning it 45 degrees to the left and pulling it out
5) Let go of brake pedal
6) Prep the sensor: make sure the plunger is pulled out fully (extended OUT) *warning* Make sure you do not push the plunger in at any time.
7) Here's the new step: Do not depress pedal as far as you can. Leave the pedal in it's normal position and push the brake light switch into the mounting hole.
8) You will hear several "clicks" which is essentially setting up the length of your plunger to the pedal. Turn the brake switch 45 degrees to the right to enable the "setting" for your brake. There is a tiny rotating part that activates the setting on your switch when you rotate it.
9) This is ONE time deal so if you mess up do not pull the plunger out to try again.
10) Install the electrical plug
11) Check brake lights, the lights should come on with very little brake pedal movement. If you need to depress the brake a lot in order for the lights to come on, you have done the "setting" part incorrectly. There's no fix for this, you'll have to get an exchange for a new part if they'll let you.

These are the instructions I've found...does anyone have any advice for the noob mechanic to do it?