Urgent Help Needed!

• Thread starter imported_Rooney
  • Start date
I

imported_Rooney

An amber light has just appeard on my speedo!

I think its the Engine Management light but i cant be sure?

When i start the car it goes through its normal test of oil, washer fluid, brakes and stuff but this light doesn't apear on the display! only an outline (of what i think can only be an engine) on my speedo! The warning doesn't even chime once to let me know theres a problem!

Any help guys?

Heres a pic of where it is on my speedo
S3Cluster.jpg

yup, that'll be the check engine light.

can come on for any number or reasone, so get the faults scanned with vag-com or a dealer.

Its not mine, i stole the pic off the web.

Have been told my MAF sensor is broke and need a new one.

Anyone got any idea how much they cost?

I own and S3 if that makes a difference!

nope pretty easy, it's between the airbox and the turbo intake pipe, it's a screw to release the clamp on the hose and two screws (from memory) that are holding the MAF to the airbox, if your feeling like making some effort you can take the airbox off which is only two bolts and two screws to take the top off.

does a faulty maf make this light come on? I thought it only came on for ignition problems (IE coilpacks) or exhaust problems (faulty lambda/cat)

I think it depends on how bad the failure is - most people notice their MAF is under-reading before it triggers a fault.

And the fault lights are pretty useless anyway in my opinion, I've had engine and turbo fail - no lights, coilpack fail - no lights, MAF fail - no lights, think that just about covers everything I'd like a f"£%ing warning light to come on for!