Audi A6 C5 Avant FM Radio Reception Issue - Can't locate FM Aerial Booster

lowrider-73

Reaction score
Can anyone help me find the FM Aerial booster in a 2001 Audi A6 C5 Avant. The FM radio reception is very poor and I have hunted around all the Audi Forums but can's seem to find anything on where the FM Aerial Booster is located in an Avant model with just a Concert Radio/Cassette head unit and a 6 CD Changer in the boot. I would like to change the FM Aerial Booster but don't want to rip the car's interior to pieces trying to find it.

Some people say it is located in the base of the roof mounted aerial but other's say this is just the AM aerial booster. I am little confused and would appreciate some help.

This is for a 2002 Avant, but I can't see there being much difference, it is an Avant, despite the saloon shaped diagram.

Looks like it's under the back seat somewhere? The part numbers vary with the spec, but the location remains the same. No mention of whether it's an FM or AM aerial however.

The aerial amplifier for the Avant is item number 8, but I hope your sitting down, as the cost is around £200..... The seals have know to fail and cause damage to the aerial amplifier, the part number for the seal is 8L0035539 and cost is around £10, well worth if your replacing the module. Best find a local breaker or check ebay.

Yes the aerial is roof mounted from what I can see in etka and elaswin, the amplifiers shown in elsawin above are for TV option.

I'm sure you know more than me. On that diagram ETKA list number 8 as:

Aerial Base 8L0 035 501 E

Still a little confused. I do not have the TV or Navigational equipment so is the FM Aerial Booster on the left hand side (Where CD Changer is located) or on the right hand side (Where the Subwoofer is located)?

Sorry I've made the confusion here, the part numbers are 4B9 035 225 (or A revision) & 4B9 035 225 B and the roof aerial is 4B9 051 505. Its strange etka states all of the bosters are either for navigation or the Japanese market!

Here is the layout for the car

Capture

The booster is located on the drivers side behind the boot liner panel, basically right behind the retracting load cover, I found it the other day when looking to see why my subwoofer wasn't working. Hope this helps if you haven't already found it. Chris

The booster is located on the drivers side behind the boot liner panel, basically right behind the retracting load cover, I found it the other day when looking to see why my subwoofer wasn't working. Hope this helps if you haven't already found it. Chris

Thanks for the response. Just been out this morning to try and take the boot liner panel out and I am having real trouble trying to get the liner out. It seems that all the Audi interior panels are really difficult to remove. All I can hear is the sound of clips breaking. Any suggestions on how to remove the liner to get to the FM booster?

Basically no! It does sound nasty but it seems the only way to do it is to get stuck in and pull it off, just make sure the screws behind load cover sit when open and closed and the 2 behind tie down points are removed also the shiny boot sill bit. There is the seat clip thing that really needs canted ring spanner to get on it properly. I pulled out some seatbelt slack too and was careful that it's in the right place when refitting else it won't pull out and retract properly.