Mutiple Fault Codes Since Belt Snapped

Sleepy Stu

Reaction score
Hi All

Car : A4 B8 2008 S line 3.0 tdi V6

Well disaster struck at the weekend with my new Audi, the serpentine belt on the front tore itself to pieces. I have had the belt replaced and two new pulleys however it had damaged the wires going to the two sensors that are in the middle of the belt so to speak. I have had to repair the wiring to these two sensors

However having put it all back together and started it I now have a whole raft of fault codes come up. They are listed at the end. Now there is no way that all of these things have suddenly gone wrong so the only thing I can think of is it is wiring issue. Perhaps the belt caught a section of the loom and has damaged it or pulled something out.

If you take a look at the list does anybody know if all or at least some of these sensors run on the same section of the loom? This might help to identify the issue as a wiring fault and provide some general direction to focus my attentions?

Any thoughts or ideas extremely welcome cheers

P1573 : Left Eng. Mount Solenoid Valve Open circuit
P1576 : Right Eng. Mount Solenoid Valve Short to ground
P0670 : Glow Plug Module 1; Glow Plug Circuit, Electrical Malfunction - Lower limit exceeded
P302c : Engine coolant heater relay 1, low output - short circuit to earth
P302c : Engine coolant heater relay 1, high output - short circuit to earth
P1015 : Intake air flap control actuator - short to earth
P165f : Engine oil pressure control valve - short circuit to earth
P2015 : Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal
P2102 : Throttle Valve Acctuator Control System Malfunction

Looks like a wiring issue indeed! I have no clue at all what but the reason I say is on my old avant one of the wiring looms melted through causing the circuit to break and it threw up 13 fault codes with most of them being short to ground or short to earth. Looks very similar to me.

have they reapered after you cleared them ?

Sorry to hear about your problems, just out of interest how many miles has the car done, Think I will need to keep an eye on the belt on mine.
Anyway back to your issues, To have that many faults for so many different circuits I would expect the issue to be due to a common ground or power connection in the harness being at fault.
Had a look on Elsa Win and it's maybe your lucky day. All those circuits have a common fuse in the fuse box by the ECU in the engine compartment. Fuse 5

5 Fuse 5 on fuse holder B -SB5-

Air mass meter -G70-
Automatic glow period control unit -J179-
Secondary air pump relay -J299-
Throttle valve module -J338-
Low heat output relay -J359-
High heat output relay -J360-
Charge pressure control solenoid valve -N75-
Crankcase breather heater element -N79-
Activated charcoal filter system solenoid valve 1 -N80-
Secondary air inlet valve -N112-
Left electrohydraulic engine mounting solenoid valve -N144-
Right​ electrohydraulic​ engine​ mounting​ solenoid​ valve -N145-
Variable intake manifold change-over valve -N156-
Air filter bypass valve -N275-
Fuel pressure regulating valve -N276-
Fuel metering valve -N290-
Secondary air inlet valve 2 -N320-
Exhaust gas recirculation cooler change-over valve -N345-
Oil pressure control valve -N428-
Fuel​ system​ diagnostic​ pump -V144-

Open the bonnet and remove the black plastic cover at the back of the engine compartment in the plenum chamber on the drivers side
The ECU box is under there a long black lid secured with three torx screws. Undo these and take the lid off.
Pull the ECU out, there are small clips securing it and it just then slides out. The fuse is located on that fuse board.

Karl.

Reactions: Drew Baby, scotty76 and Zafi
^^ Brilliant advice^^^, so good of Karl to spend time looking at Elsa Win

Hi Karl

Thank you so much I will check it out tomorrow and report back and let you know how I get on.

Car has done 126,000 still plenty of life left in the old bird if I can get her sorted!]

Thanks again

Stu

Hi all

Karl you were spot on fuse had gone!! Replaced it and that cleared most of the codes. Thank you so much real life saver.

Have two codes left. The P2015 code I am working on looks like the flap spindle in the inlet manifold is worn and that might be causing the issue so trying to source a second hand one for the moment.

Really the only code I have left is

P1573 : Left Eng. Mount Solenoid Valve Open circuit

Now this is the strangest thing. On the other engine mount that is a wire and connector coming out of it that mounts to a bracket. There is them a connector from the loom that plugs in.

However on the other side there is nothing. This is no bracket and there is no wire and connector coming from the engine mount. I have looked everywhere even got the little fibre optic camera in there and have found nothing.

Therefore I have a spare connector coming off the loom and nothing to plug it into!! This is almost certainly throwing the code. Here is a picture of the connector on the loom. If you look at the front of the car it is the passenger side mount.

Does anybody have any idea what this is supposed to plug into or are there some mounts that don't have a connector and at some point in time some idiot has fitted a mount without a connector perhaps?

Any thoughts gratefully recieved

The manifold flap spindles are a really common issue. I would replace with a new one they aren't that expensive.

Genuine Audi VW 2.7 3.0 V6 TDI Intake Inlet Manifold Repair Kit Set Swirl Flap | eBay

It is possible that there has been an issue with the engine mount and it has been replaced with a non adjustable one as this would have been cheaper. To clear the fault you will either have to replace the engine mount with the correct part or measure the resistance of the solenoid on the good mount and put a resistor in the empty plug to simulate a solenoid.
The idea of the solenoid operated engine mounts is that they get firmer as required when you give the car some beans, this means at idle they provide more isolation being softer so less vibration transmitted to the car from the engine.

Karl.

Hi Karl

Cheers for the link actually its not the end piece that is worn its the actual shaft that the flaps are on. There is a repair kit for about £100 but I manged to pick up and entire manifold and motor for £120 so just in case the motor is screwed I can swap that out at the same time.

Really annoyed about the engine mount what you have suggested is the only thing I could think of as well to explain why there is no connector.

My brother designs engine test beds so knows his way around a multimeter lol so I'll have a chat with him about the resistor thing and see if he can knock me something up.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Guys (Especially Dessert Storm

I have a UK RHD 2007 Audi A6 C6 3.0tdi

Can you share where the N290 fuse is in my car?

It's been off the road for 3 months and have changed

The lift pump
The fuel pump relays (twice)
The HPFP
The fuel pressure sensor
The Fuel Pressure regulator
The Fuel pressure valve on the side of the pump

It still won't start!

So perhaps the fuse may be the culprit but I can't locate it...I suspect it is next to the relays/ECU which in the case of my car is on the passenger side bulkhead?

Any confirmation would be great!

The actual VCDS scan is on another computer and I can upload when home

Regards

Hi Mark.
If you want to attract somebodies attention on the forum just type @ followed by there forum name @Marky M . I just came across this post as I noticed I had previously posted on the thread.

Upload 2016 12 3 12 26 36

If you want the complete ECU wiring for the car PM me an E-mail address and I will E-mail it to you. It's too big to post on the forum.
Fuse 3 on fuse holder A is located in the Plenum area control box.
Upload 2016 12 3 12 36 41

Karl.