oil catch can

tdi-man

Reaction score
oil catch can fitted still work in progress.

IMG 0122

no probs do a little write up tomo with some pics

Reactions: Westy
what I needed to do this is

13mm internal diameter tube as the oil catch inlets are 15mm
4 jubilee clips
1 catch can
1 large jubilee to clamp catch can to bracket
piece of metal to make bracket
2 hose adaptors 19mm to 13mm
1 extra crank case pipe

IMG 0127IMG 0128IMG 0129IMG 0130IMG 0131

still may change the bracket I made as that is first attempt and my change pipe from 13mm id to 16mm id to see if will fit without the nose adaptors

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I need to have a proper look at mine as I'm still learning how these engines work. I assume the standard piping routes the rocker fumes to the turbo intake pipe to burn them off?

yes correct standard pipe goes to turbo pipe

I'd expect that some oil will still make its way back into the TIP even though the can will catch most of it. Have you thought about blocking off the TIP and then venting the can to atmosphere so that nothing goes back into the boost system?

Not sure they can be vented to atmosphere can they? I'd prefer that if it works!

Still keep meaning to do this to loose the oil in the intercooler pipes :)

What holds the new pipe work inside the silicone drop down adapters, can't see how they would hold unless you have a rigid tube inside the new hose for the jubilee to clamp onto... Could see that popping off when warm/full of oil?!

Not sure they can be vented to atmosphere can they? I'd prefer that if it works!

Still keep meaning to do this to loose the oil in the intercooler pipes :)

What holds the new pipe work inside the silicone drop down adapters, can't see how they would hold unless you have a rigid tube inside the new hose for the jubilee to clamp onto... Could see that popping off when warm/full of oil?!

Should be able to. Just need to block the hole it the TIP so that there's no unmetered air going in. Then the outlet of the catch can is routed to the bottom of the car. That's how I had my can setup on my 1.8T S3.

No disrespect If it were me I'd **** it off and do a proper job use a proper tank with proper fittings I did as you did to my old audi them catch tanks are ****.... Use aeroquip fittings and a proper tank and that works 100times better.... On my cossie I run a wrc spec breather with torques fittings and it's perfect....

Second picture is a basic catch tank I had made up cost about 50 odd quid but will work perfect... That tank leaked and fell apart that you have there...

the clear pipe I just pushed into the pipe adaptor and was a very very tight fit and just jubilee clip to hold together .

What holds the new pipe work inside the silicone drop down adapters, can't see how they would hold unless you have a rigid tube inside the new hose for the jubilee to clamp onto... Could see that popping off when warm/full of oil?![/QUOTE]

Didn't like the look of the catch can and wanted to put my engine cover back on so have changed it just waiting for the pipe work to turn up.

IMG 0199IMG 0200IMG 0201