Time for a new battery - suggestions?

Wicked666

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
Hi guys. Got a 2009 S3 sportback with 50k and the car didn't start yesterday. Have a battery charger which is indicating the battery is not holding charge. Manage to get it started after leaving it plugged in for a while but rely on my car a lot.

Gonna pop down to ECP later. Any recommendations of which one to go for?

The Bosch S5 has a 5 year warranty with these specs. Will that be ok with my alternator etc?

Amp Hours: (Ah): 77Ah
Cold Cranking Amp: (CCA): 780CCA
Length: 278mm
Width: 175mm
Height: 190mm

Thanks

Last edited:
Looks like it's more than up up the job, I'd go with that one

That's the same one I've put in mine! It's a good battery! Others go with a Varta, but I don't know which one off-hand. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with details.

Edit: don't forget to check out eBay for price comparison, you might save a third off the price.

Check see if ecp got any discount codes running.They had some at beginning of this week :) x

If they weren't so damn heavy I could do great deals on genuine VAG items from work.

Just not finically viable to send, and ofcourse being a hazardous item makes it all the more awkward.

I wouldn't normally go to Halfords but a couple of weeks ago the one in my wife's Golf died, I wasn't around to fit it so I phoned Halfords and she took the car up, fitted in 5 mins. A calcium battery with 5 year warranty was £90 (ish). No doubt could have saved a few quid by shopping around but It was an emergency and the five year warranty should see that car out.

Cheers guys. Have 15% code so £100 from ECP for Bosch is fine. With warranty is tech £20 a year and need one ASAP. Pity they're closed Sundays.

I prefer OEM Moll, something like this:
Moll EFB 82075 Start Stop Autobatterie 12 Volt 75 Ah | eBay

it's more expensive, but I think it's the best out there, aldo the Bosch will do just fine, also you didn't write do you have a petrol or a diesel car, because these MOLL start/stop batteries are made specific for petrol and diesel, I think that the EFB mark in the link is for a petrol car.

Cheers.

Cheers artimus. Could've collected it too but out of stock on eBay and (unsurprisingly) they wouldn't price match. Car feels much more responsive now. Thought would only affect starting the engine. ECP took 2 old batteries for recycling too.

Thanks guys