Indicator bulbs

Buneet

Reaction score
Hi guys, when I got my car I didn't want to go for S-line due to my insurance increasing by a fair amount as I'm 18 and since I'm paying for it and the car, the lower the price and easier for me. But now I see my mums A6 with LED lights all over I really want the look of the light going on and off instantly when the indicator blinks.
So does anyone know what type of bulb the indicator is? And whether I could put an LED indicator bulb in there instead?

Thanks

They are LED headlights, nothing to do with trim level, but it's an expensive option.

But is it possible to get like an "led bulb" which fits in to the standard indicator light without screwing up the canbus? Sort of how people replace the yellowish number plate lights which nice white LED ones. Is it possible to get orange indicator LED bulbs?

Something like that? You won't be able to get the daytime running lights to indicate without getting the LED light upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I read somewhere (maybe on here) they think led lights could be less safe. Because they flick on and off in the blink of an eye, others can literally miss the colour changing. Looking at the video above it shows the longer fade in and fade out of the regular bulbs quite well.

(I agree led indicators look awesome but don't like the thought of getting rear-ended because they're less noticable).

When I first saw the A3 LED headlights with the DRL/orange indicators I thought 'wow', followed by 'oh, that's a tiny indicating area'.
I was suprised they passed UK road regs

This video makes similar points: Audi Matrix Beam Headlights: Why Are They Banned in the U.S.? - YouTube

Yeh, I don't think they are as noticeable either, I'm surprised they were allowed.

Something like that? You won't be able to get the daytime running lights to indicate without getting the LED light upgrade.

Yeah like that, it just looks cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I read somewhere (maybe on here) they think led lights could be less safe. Because they flick on and off in the blink of an eye, others can literally miss the colour changing. Looking at the video above it shows the longer fade in and fade out of the regular bulbs quite well.

(I agree led indicators look awesome but don't like the thought of getting rear-ended because they're less noticable).

When I first saw the A3 LED headlights with the DRL/orange indicators I thought 'wow', followed by 'oh, that's a tiny indicating area'.
I was suprised they passed UK road regs

This video makes similar points: Audi Matrix Beam Headlights: Why Are They Banned in the U.S.? - YouTube

Oh right I see, I kind of just wanted them on the front. But if they pose any form of safety hazard for myself or other drivers then I think I'll leave it.
How come they're allowed on other cars then? Or have they got specifically designed LED lights to allow people to see. On my mums A6 the lights come on and go off like in the video.

Thank you!

Possibly because they can only be seen from directly in front? If you look at the front indicator the normal bulb can see seen at a right angle, I think...

Last edited:
Possibly because they can only be seen from directly in front? If you look at the front indicator the normal bulb can see seen at a right angle, I think...

Okay then, cheers buddy. :)

The reflectors help make those bulbs visible from more angles. The main crux is about people don't notice something that changes instantly and usually relates to the brake lights and not indicators. People will notice a brake light fading on and off more than one that is instantly on or off. Most of the articles I've read also say there's no real connection as in some cars it increases the risk of being rear ended and other cars it decreases. I guess it depends on the rear light cluster in general and also depends if the rear cluster includes daytime running rear lighting. As far as indicators go I wouldn't have thought there'd be much difference... I mean, half the people on the roads don't even indicate to begin with!

I guess in both scenarios you could face having any insurance claim rejected in the event of an accident, one for having non-standard bulbs fitted and another for not using your indicators, although they would need witness's for the later...

Last edited:
I guess in both scenarios you could face having any insurance claim rejected in the event of an accident, one for having non-standard bulbs fitted and another for not using your indicators, although they would need witness's for the later...

Yikes. Don't want that to happen! :s