Car Maintenance Guidance For 90k Miles & Above?

AudiLondon

Reaction score
Car Maintenance Guidance For 90k Miles & Above?

Hi Ive bought an Audi S3 8l 2000Reg. It has around 92k miles on the clock and has not been driven for roughly 8 months. It has no MOT or road tax so the main goal is to establish what work needs doing and get it road worthy asap. I just wanted to no if everyone could contribute with names of websites I can order performance mods off of and any good garages around Essex/London that I could go to. Could users please also recommend if there's anything maintenance wise I should be on the look out for, relating to the mileage the S3 is sitting on.

Definite work:

- MOT
- Full Service
- Oil/Oil filter change
- 2 new tyres
- Battery (Not holding its charge very well, May need a new battery)
- Cambelt and water pump (Has been changed on 70k miles not sure whether it needs doing again??)

Items Im Concerned about

Okay so these are the parts I'm worried about because if they go wrong they will be costly. So I guess my main question is, how strong will these parts be with this mileage and how much more life should they have in them?

- Turbo
- Clutch
- Gearbox
- Haldex
- Head Gasket
- Pistons

Thank you for your replies in advance. If you take time to reply to me I will respond also.

Take care everyone. And drive safe as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: fanta
Hi and welcome to the site :)

The first place to start for car parts would be using some of the forum sponsors.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/forum.php#site-sponsors-banner-advertisers

I have used Awesome GTI and DPM plenty of times and can recommend them both - they can sometimes offer a bit of discount when purchasing a lot of items in one hit.

Cambelt and water pump change is usually around the 40k mark IIRC, so could be some life left in her- but then again she has been sitting there for 8 months.

First thing would be to fire her up after the definite work has been completed and hook it up to VCDS and take some logging to see how she's flowing.

What sort of performance mods you thinking of doing? I'm sure I don't need to remind you of this- but things (OEM parts) start wearing out and breaking a lot quicker once modifying. I have too many mates who have regretted modifying their car as one part leads onto the whole car being replaced/modified! lol

Chris

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...de-how-fit-catch-can-simplify-pcv-system.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/general-technical-how/84402-n249-bypass-how-2000-s3-but-same-many.html

Any of the rubber bushes, suspension parts, hoses under the bonnet could have perished. The above links helps (the PCV especially) and the N249 is another problem that just goes wrong. It's easy to do both removals at the same time as they are sort of connected.

However, the MOT should highlight any problems with bushes/brake hoses/anything else rubbery.

Hi and welcome to the site :)

The first place to start for car parts would be using some of the forum sponsors.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/forum.php#site-sponsors-banner-advertisers

I have used Awesome GTI and DPM plenty of times and can recommend them both - they can sometimes offer a bit of discount when purchasing a lot of items in one hit.

Cambelt and water pump change is usually around the 40k mark IIRC, so could be some life left in her- but then again she has been sitting there for 8 months.

First thing would be to fire her up after the definite work has been completed and hook it up to VCDS and take some logging to see how she's flowing.

What sort of performance mods you thinking of doing? I'm sure I don't need to remind you of this- but things (OEM parts) start wearing out and breaking a lot quicker once modifying. I have too many mates who have regretted modifying their car as one part leads onto the whole car being replaced/modified! lol

Chris

Hi mate Thankyou i inted to be using these forums alot!!

In terms of the cambelt is there anyway to judge if its on its way out or is it just by chance most of the time.

And im only looking at suttle mods like TIP, air filter, amd remap, maybe FMI, but most of the mods I want to do are going to be car strengthening mods like new bushes, oil catch can, samco boost hoses etc...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...de-how-fit-catch-can-simplify-pcv-system.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/general-technical-how/84402-n249-bypass-how-2000-s3-but-same-many.html

Any of the rubber bushes, suspension parts, hoses under the bonnet could have perished. The above links helps (the PCV especially) and the N249 is another problem that just goes wrong. It's easy to do both removals at the same time as they are sort of connected.

However, the MOT should highlight any problems with bushes/brake hoses/anything else rubbery.

Thank you for replying... Those are definitely mods i want to get done.

With the oil catch can is there somewhere I can buy that and get it fitted as im not a mechanic myself so wouldn't really be confident in taking the engine apart without the right equipment.

Also what is the N249 bypass and where can I buy this from.

In advance I apologise for knowing absolutely naff all about all this stuff :meeting:

Hi mate Thankyou i inted to be using these forums alot!!

In terms of the cambelt is there anyway to judge if its on its way out or is it just by chance most of the time.

And im only looking at suttle mods like TIP, air filter, amd remap, maybe FMI, but most of the mods I want to do are going to be car strengthening mods like new bushes, oil catch can, samco boost hoses etc...

No worries,

This has to be the best 8L S3 forum for UK owners. The knowledge of some of the owners and input they give is priceless at times.

We have a great bunch here :arco:

Not to sure on if you can judge the cambelt tbh so won't start hazarding a guess.

If you haven't already - then start working your way through this section and the links found within...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...info-stickies-please-read-before-posting.html

As JudderMan has posted above - those links can be found in that area and many others that will answer numerous questions you probably have stored up... e.g brake upgrades, which TIP, which FMIC yadda yadda yadda :thumbsup:

okay so the following work is being carried out on the car..

- breather hose replacement
- rocker cover replacement
- battery change
- cambelt and water pump change
- Full service

So quite a little bit of work but once shes back in good condition I cant wait to take her for a proper drive.

Quick question if anyone knows. I need to buy a new driver side lower rear 1/4 door blade. Ive seen one on ebay but its from a 2002 audi s3. Is this the same fitment and design as the year of my car which is Vreg so 210bhp (1999-2000)??

If the breather hose is being replaced, double check the rest of the PCV pipes. I had three split but two of those were from me replacing the first split one....once one goes....the rest do. Which is why I ripped the whole lot out and went the catch can route. Just saying that was my experience and might not be the same for you.

Eurocarparts had a deal on last week on batteries, I managed to snag an 027 Bosche for £50 ;)

Can't help with the door blade, sorry, I just have an A3.

If the breather hose is being replaced, double check the rest of the PCV pipes. I had three split but two of those were from me replacing the first split one....once one goes....the rest do. Which is why I ripped the whole lot out and went the catch can route. Just saying that was my experience and might not be the same for you.

Eurocarparts had a deal on last week on batteries, I managed to snag an 027 Bosche for £50

Cheers mate ill maybe go that route aswell.. How much is it to go down that path of catch can as a pose to just replacing all the pipes with oem parts?

why are you replacing the rocker cover?

Oil leaking out all over the engine my mechanic had a look and said the rocker cover needs changing .. and the breather hose has completely split. :shrug:

well the rocker cover gasket and the breather pipe is getting changed i dont no aout the other two pipes that are part of the breather system.. if i get them changed for oem parts will they last for the foreseeable future or will i have to replace them again in a years time? I will go oil catch can route but not yet im just trying to get it running good first.

the breather pipes are prone to split and the rocker cover gasket may be seeping oil, so yes i would by all means change those but i would be surprised if the actual rocker cover (the metal "lid") needed changing - is it cracked then?

changing parts out for the OEM hoses should be fine for the foreseeable i would have thought - look at this way - your changing the OEM hoses now which have failed after 14years so new OEM hoses should last a similar amount of time

My mechanic did say it might be cracked, I dont no myself I wish i did but his a close friend so I believe him. its deffo seeping oil as I had a look myself when it was up on the ramp. So hopefully it is just a cracked rocker cover and it sorts the problem once its been replaced.

ah ok, yeah if its cracked better get a new one on there, thought it might have been a precautionary change

oh fair enough no its all going well by the sounds of it though. Once its out the garage Ill get a few pictures up!! Do you happen to no about the driver side lower rear 1/4 door blade. like i said before Ive seen one on ebay but its from a 2002 audi s3. Is this the same fitment and design as the year of my car which is Vreg so 210bhp (1999-2000)?

as far as i am aware there is no difference across different manufacturing years regarding door blades so it should be good

when doing the rocker cover gasket get the VVT gasket and half moon seal changed too as this tends to be where they leak from on the right hand side of the block

when doing the rocker cover gasket get the VVT gasket and half moon seal changed too as this tends to be where they leak from on the right hand side of the block

How expensive will that be to get done roughly.. do you know? if that was the cause of the leak is it something a mechanic would be able to see and say its not the rocker cover its the vvt gasket?

It took me about 3 hours to do on my car using standard tools etc.

Parts were about £40 from audi as I like genuine parts for these jobs.

So I would guess a garage could do it in 2 hours as they should be quicker than me

If you fancy trying it yourself this is the thread with the parts numbers and there is a guide linked in post 11 http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-cover-cam-chain-adjuster-gasket-part-no.html