audi a3 long life urgent

mrggg

Reaction score
Hi i really want this car, but it has been on long life servicing and been serviced at 20, 38k 50k and 60k miles. Its a 2008 car, would you suggest I look into buying it or avoid?

Mine is on 160K and i never hesitated about buying it FASH

Mine's on 92K and been on long life it's whole life - didn't put me off.

I bought my S3 which had been on longlife, my car doesn't seem to be any worse for it but its best judging each car on how you find it.
If it sounds right and goes ok then I wouldn't be put off.

I don't understand this, why would you avoid it?

Last edited:
It's because your poor engine runs with the same oil in for 2 years or about 18.000 miles.
Not the best way to maintain your engine as the oil loses its properties way before this point.

Isn't that what long life oil is for though? Surely Audi wouldn't recommend it if it was bad for the engines

Reactions: A3Kent
Longlife oil is designed to last longer but it's not ideal.
Audi recommend it for the wrong reasons.
They recommend it to try and help sell their cars to lease companies saying it'll only require 3 services in 60k therefore its a cheap option. Companies buy cars on expected running costs for 3 years.
Each to their own but I bought mine and even after an oil change the oil was still black.
2 changes later and a flush and its nice and clean again.

You would think Audi know how to service an engine.

I don't understand the OP question though? You are going to avoid buying a car because of the frequency of it's servicing even though that's what Audi have recommended? I'd be more inclined to see what's actually been serviced rather than the frequency, i.e cambelt.

As I said earlier its not a reason to be out off.
As with any car you take it as you find it. If its right then that's it.