Does my clutch ever need changing????

CO11K9

Reaction score
Having had manual cars all my life this is the first automatic car I have owned!! So my question is with a manual you can feel the clutch slipping/ smelling etc etc and you can feel the impact!! I have never changed the clutch on my Audi A6 4.2 automatic, and now having clocked 197,000 miles!!!!!! However I can't say I notice any problems at all, Im just curious as would I notice any difference or if it ain't broken leave it alone !!!!!!!! Thanks guys

Basically, autos don't have clutches, if the transmission is "slipping" you have issues, not a case of replacing the clutch. Other members will be able to give you more input. The auto boxes on these c5 cars are far from good!!

Thank you that answers that, no slipping that I've noticed!! So I'll leave it alone, If the gearbox I have is not great what replacement would I be looking at????

Err I think you have a so called tiptronic 'clutch pack' with 6 plates unless its been updated to 7...could of course be wrong.... Audi boxes are not of the Borg type... highly unlikely it will ever go however.

Your absolutely right I have a tiptronic box, so that's good to hear!!! Thankyou