Overheating

mr_sjc

Reaction score
Hi All, I have a problem that I hope someone can shed some light on. Since having the front two tyres changed (possible coincidence) my cooling fans do not work, the temp gauge keeps rising and the car beeps a lot. Its not too bad at the moment as is pretty cool, but if im in traffic for a while the temp goes up and I have to resort to switching on the air con. The garage next door have replaced a switch (a big brass thing with connectors on it) but that has not cured it. I also keep getting a slight misfire whilst driving but this only seems to happen when the car is warm. Any ideas?

Regards Simon

1.8 T Sport 99' S

thermostat jammed shut? Next time it overheats, check if the radiator is warm or cold as the fan will only come on if the radiator is too hot. I'd assume there will be a permanent 12v to the fan and the switch will earth it when needed so I'd check that there is 12v to one of the contacts. IIIRC its the same fuse that controls both fans. I cant see how it could be related to the tires getting changed.

Cheers mate, will have a look next time it happens. Any ideas on the misfire, the car also seems to struggle on tickover i.e. rev counter idling between 800 and 1200 rpm - or is this normal?

Ta Simon

1.8 T Sport 99' S Green like an apple !!